Just why is the sport of eventing so heartbreaking? Badminton...

ElleJS

Visit site
As most people know I had to pull mare up xc as felt very wrong, knackered and off. I cannot tell you how low and devastated I felt yesterday, (I don't think I have any tears left!!) but as soon as you step away and realise everything is going to be ok and we are both going to be fine compared to the awful recent tragedy then you soon put things into perspective.
However I did feel it was my one big opportunity and it all went wrong for me that day and as with Burghley it was neither of our faults. (I seem to be the Queen of badluck) she has never ever tied up and felt 'off' ever before so why oh why Badminton!!!

First impression was high temperature and no sparkle meant a virus, but she proceeded to stiffen up and sweat all over her haunches so we are pretty convinced she tied up just before I left the start box, she is going to be fine and vets are running a series of tests.

If anyone knows my mare XC then they will know that was not her out on XC!! I feel so sorry for her, bless her she was obviously sore and still bloody tried, I wish I had pulled out before I got into the start box as I had a funny feeling she didn't feel right even though physically she looked ok. You live and learn.

Anyway was an amazing experience even if you only made 5 minutes of the course! Bring on next year especially after she has been to dressage boot camp.... (another story...)

Thank you to everyone who was cheering me on, so so sorry didn't give you much to cheer on! But we'll be back. You can't dwell on these things otherwise I guess you'll go mad so no sympathy please!!!
smile.gif

Connie is having some time out untill we figure out whats wrong and then if she is ok then we'll go to Bramham for some fun.

Hope everyone had fun watching, So glad Oli won, he deserved it and shows you don't have to come from an affluant background or have been bought expensive ponies to do so!!
smile.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
Felt so sorry for you- like you say, she wasnt looking herself.
Well done for doing the sensible thing and I hope you get to the bottom of things.

Look forward to next year
smile.gif

mrussell

Visit site
Aw bless you both. Fingers crossed shes on sparkling form real soon. Theres always another year. Chin up chook. xxxx

kt_p

Visit site
You did brilliantly to get there at all! Hopefully pony will feel better soon and be ready to go again next year!!

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
onwards and upwards indeed!!!
i cant imagain just how devestated you must feel
but good luck next year, i'm sure ur next 4* will be fantastic (3rd time lucky
wink.gif
)

TableDancer

Visit site
So glad you know what was wrong and it's easily fixable
smile.gif
But bl**dy hard luck on timing - sorry, but you've got plenty of sympathy from me whether you like it or not!
wink.gif
Still as you say, you've both got lots more chances ahead of you and the dressage boot camp sounds interesting
grin.gif

clairel

Visit site
Such a shame that Connie wasn't just right!
But it is still a fabulous achievement to even get there, and at least you know she wasn't right. Would be a much worse feeling if she had just shrunk in the atmosphere!

Many congratulations anyway and thanks for giving us some extra interest yesterday!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
At least you got the chance to be there and I guess achieve a major dream. Your horse is young and I think you will be back to fight again.

Was it amazing riding down the centre line in the dressage? Did you get a good goody bag?

BBs

Visit site
Good on ya
smile.gif
she looked great but it just wasnt the *Connie* we all know and love.
Sending Con lots of healing vibes and hope she recovers speedily.
Hugs to you, a real emotional rollercoaster for you too.

Here's to a good run at Bramham
smile.gif

Saf

community.webshots.com
I don't know you personally only through here but feel proud that you went and gave it a go, you deserved to be there, so on this occassion its not such a happy story but you are both safe, have fingers crossed its just a virus and Connie will be back on form for Bramham
grin.gif
x

Goya

Visit site
I really felt for you, but look at the postives--you got there which is something 99%of us will never do, and you have the future to look to. Next time you will have much more knowledge of the "Badminton Experience"
Hugs for you and connie.

kerilli

Visit site
oh hun, such a shame, we were all rooting for you, but at least you are both in 1 piece so you'll come back from this and go on to big things again.
it must have been so difficult, at the biggest 3-day in the world it must be impossible to just say "no, she doesn't feel quite right " when you have nothing to go on but a nagging gut feeling, and you SO want to do it, and worked so hard to get there.
big hugs to you both, hope she recovers v quickly and is back in fighting form soon.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I thought you were magnificent just to get there - and was so disappointed for you when you retired. But you will be back to fight another day. (((((( )))))))

tigers_eye

Visit site
Well done Laura, it's so hard to pull up when you cannot put your finger on something and think the doubts are just nerves. You will both be back another day, good wishes for a speedy recovery.

kirstyfk

Visit site
Horses! Why do we have them
tongue.gif

I was so sad when I saw the stop on the telly as it just didn't look like her. But there's always next year. At least you got to jump some Badminton fences. It is a lot more than any of us can ever dream off.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I have only just realised who you are. Where have I been?
blush.gif

I watched your dressage test and defended you against the know it all behind me.
As others have said onwards and upwards. I can't wait to cheer you on at your next event.

GDB

photobucket.com
O poor you.... but dont beat yourself up, you did well just to get there. Have you had bloods done to confirm she tied up. Our Mare did too, only once with us, but often before we had her. We had her on Equine Americas TyGuard permanently and she didnt tie up again, worth thinking about. We were careful about suger intake.... little or no sugar beet, maybe a bit in winter, careful on the apples and carrots and a change of hard feed... pm if you want to know more...

I think you did bloody well, Laura, so take heart, and always always go with your instincts, you know your horse better than anyone..

H

_April_

Visit site
Such a shame she wasn't right - we were rooting for you all the way and had the camera all set up waiting for you.

I am in awe of anyone who would even attempt those fences!

For what it's worth the commentators Friday - especially Carl Hester were very complimentary on your riding and they certainly weren't pulling any punches with some of the others.

Huge hugs and can't wait to see you out and about again xx

ajf

Visit site
Such a shame, but as you said she wasn't herself and you have a reason why.

There are some fab pics of you in the picture gallery though and Connie looks awesome in them.

Anyway onwards and upwards and she'll be back and on form for your next 4*!!!

Well done
laugh.gif

Nats_uk

Visit site
Am glad the problem is fixable.
A huge well done for getting there and taking part - a massive good luck for your next event

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
However I did feel it was my one big opportunity

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to disagree with you there! You are so definately going to get loads more.
cool.gif

One of the comentators for the BBC, i think it was Tina Cook? Was very complimentry about you and Connie, and saying that it clearly wasn't the normal Connie.

Re. the dressage.. i'm currently trying out something pretty revoluntionary, i'll let you know how it goes
tongue.gif
But if it goes well, it might be something you could try on Connie
grin.gif

Re. Bramham.. Not for sure, but depending on the ride i have at Chatsworth and if we feel up to it.. i'm having a slight thought that it could be an aim, so i might see you there, but sssshhhh, don't tell anyone
smirk.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Hard luck, you were so ready for it but stuff like virus' or sudden tying up can't be overcome. At least she sounds as if she can be fixed, doing a tendon etc would have been far worse.
I reckoned you weren't the only one with some sort of bug, several others definitely didn't perform XC as they normally do.
The experience will stand you in good stead for next time, you will feel more confident knowing the ropes too.
We were cheering you on at home and so sad when you had to stop.
Good luck for the test results, we had one of ours tie up last year and took advice from Saracen , and it seems to have worked.
Don't forget just to have got there is a massive achievement on it's own..it's a life ambition for so many riders.
wink.gif

destiny11

Visit site
Such bad luck
frown.gif
Was at the Hillside when you had the run out and thought you recovered fantastically well. Got a few pics there of you if you want them. OH was asking why I took a few of you
grin.gif
Anyway, I am sure it is only a matter of time before your time comes
smile.gif

icestationzebra

Visit site
As you say, you are both back safe and sound and live to fight another day, another Badminton in fact!
I know you don't want sympathy but I'm sending both you and Connie a hug anyway and I'll be cheering you on again next year
grin.gif

Bubblegum

Visit site
We were so sad to see you had to pull up. Hope Connie makes a good recovery and you are back out there again soon.
So, ok it wasn't your perfect Badminton, but you got there, gave it your best, and have probably learnt much more than you realise right now. Next year when you go again.... it will be so much better.
smile.gif