K M Peyton

whizzer

Visit site
Loved her books! Flambards was a fantastic series, also really loved Fly by Night & it's sequel( The Team?), read them over & over!

tetij

Visit site
I am sorry to hear this. Her books gave me - and I know many other people - horses like no other books did. Each time I re-read her books, which is a bit less often now than it was, I feel her gift again. I didn't have access to the physical horse world in the way that I wanted to when I was younger, but she granted her readers this access in multitudes. She translated this world - often a world that I feel both confused and intrigued by in equal measure - into words as easily as breathing. My favourite will always be Blind Beauty, which spoke to me, quite deeply, when I was a teenager. Very recently I dreamt that I lost and then found my original copy of it. She took teenagers, particularly the emotional lives of teenage girls, completely seriously. She was an incredible writer, and I am very sad to hear that she has died.

Surbie

Visit site
She was such a talented author. I loved Flambards, and it really helped to have those stories as a horse-mad but horseless teenager.

ecb89

Visit site
How sad. As a ponyless child I devoured pony books and flambards was one of my favourites. Might have to dig it out and have read

Cadbury

Visit site
The only book of hers I’ve read is Darkling, but that was so long ago I don’t remember what it was like.

For those of you that have read many of her books, which authors would you say her books are most similar to, eg. Is her style similar to the Pullein-Thompsons, Ruby Ferguson? Interested to know but for now I’m going to re-buy Darkling!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
The only book of hers I’ve read is Darkling, but that was so long ago I don’t remember what it was like.

For those of you that have read many of her books, which authors would you say her books are most similar to, eg. Is her style similar to the Pullein-Thompsons, Ruby Ferguson? Interested to know but for now I’m going to re-buy Darkling!
I've got Darkling, brilliant book. Liked it so much the first time I read I raced through it then immediately read it again more slowly.

Widgeon

Visit site

Much as I love the P-Ts, I would say KM Peyton was a better writer. The Flambards series is just wonderful - the relationships between all the human characters (!) are so well written and believable. Personally I think her writing has a lot more depth.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Sad news but she lived to a ripe old age. Condolences to her family.
She was a wonderful writer and her main characters were usually 'outsiders', which really resonated with me.
A couple of her young adult novels not mentioned already are Pennington's Seventeenth Summer and The Beethoven Medal. Both excellent.
Personally I would say she's a classier writer than most of the other pony book authors

Sealine

Visit site
I loved the Flambards books and TV series as a child. The books were more adult and had more depth than the Pullein-Thompson books. A few years ago I bought the TV series on DVD. It was rather dated. I’ve no idea where it is now and I no longer have a DVD player.

Cadbury

Visit site
Much as I love the P-Ts, I would say KM Peyton was a better writer. The Flambards series is just wonderful - the relationships between all the human characters (!) are so well written and believable. Personally I think her writing has a lot more depth.
I definitely agree that the P-T books didn’t have as much depth as others. Thinking about it, we did have The Flambards books at home when I was growing up but I refused to read them for the silly reason that my sister (who wasn’t horsey and fell out with me all the time!) had read them!

After I’ve read Darkling again I’ll see if my parents can drag them out of their loft.