Kate Greenhalgh neglect

AandK

Visit site
It is rumoured that Kate is moving her yard to surrey, Guildford area. Can anyone confirm this? Is so where is she going to be based.?

This case is very local to me and I have heard the same but that she has already moved. Was based in/v near Pulborough.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Dear Lord! What on earth were the magistrates thinking?

I hope as many people as possible share this far and wide. I also hope that the local equestrian community make it clear to KG that this kind of behaviour is completely unacceptable.

I didn't believe that a panel of 3 magistrates would not have banned her so I looked it up and this case was held in a Magistrates Court in front of one District Judge. (ETA this is normal, District Judges sit alone in Magistrates Courts). I've seen far more travesties of justice from the cases handled by a District judge than panels of magistrates.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It is rumoured that Kate is moving her yard to surrey, Guildford area. Can anyone confirm this? Is so where is she going to be based.?

I really hope the governing bodies that this dreadful specimen competes with will suspend her for bringing the sport into disrepute.
Shes going to be on the doorstep of Merrist and Parwood and a stones throw from some good xc like Tweseldown etc

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
Now read the vets report HERE I'm even more sickened ???

Only a small gesture but I've shared it to my facebook page. Uncomfortable viewing to say the least but shock value may help the name Kate Greenhalg stick in people's names and god forbid anyone trusts her with a pet rock let alone any living animal. Even if there are some hidden factors such as mental illness, she knew right and wrong enough to try and lie her way out of trouble at several points. Plus changing her plea. It's just unbelievable- these high end livery owners should be setting a standard when I'm starting to wonder if most horsey people with a lot less money for going eventing but a lot more genuine love and knowledge should be running these places. Just horrifying.

Cookster

Visit site
I really hope the governing bodies that this dreadful specimen competes with will suspend her for bringing the sport into disrepute.
Shes going to be on the doorstep of Merrist and Parwood and a stones throw from some good xc like Tweseldown etc
Perhaps if someone actually knows where she is going they can let the landowner know.

paddy555

Visit site
I hope so too, that's too damned close to me!

no it isn't because you and everyone else can keep their eyes very firmly on her. I have come across quite a few like her who have no conscience about the cruelty they are prepared to inflict. I have ended up with a lot of horses that I have had to take on due to these morons.

What I don't understand is how in a very well populated and rich area of England in 2020 it happened and why didn't anyone do anything to stop it way before the horses starved. . Also why even if your horse is on grass livery you didn't go to actually physically check it occasionally.
There are no excuses, we should be absolutely furious that this was ever allowed to happen.

Cookster

Visit site
no it isn't because you and everyone else can keep their eyes very firmly on her. I have come across quite a few like her who have no conscience about the cruelty they are prepared to inflict. I have ended up with a lot of horses that I have had to take on due to these morons.

What I don't understand is how in a very well populated and rich area of England in 2020 it happened and why didn't anyone do anything to stop it way before the horses starved. . Also why even if your horse is on grass livery you didn't go to actually physically check it occasionally.
There are no excuses, we should be absolutely furious that this was ever allowed to happen.

The owner of the horse that died was in regular contact with Kate. Kate lead her to belief that everything was fine. This lady's husband was in ICU fighting for his life and she was told he may not live. She was by his bed side . She is devastated. People tried to intervene when they saw what was going on but could not get their voices heard over Kates lies and deception. The authorities were therefore alerted.

PurBee

Visit site
An experienced horsewoman, with funds, with outside support....normally inexperience, ignorance, lack of finances and no support are the reasons animals get neglected.

I just ask ‘why?’ in this case.

1 owner was understandably absent from checking on horse while husband in icu at hospital and kate lied to her that her horse is fine. But what about the other owners? Were they also given the same BS from kate, probably saying no need to check, everythings fine?

Livery workers? Scared of losing their job so instead chose to let an animal starve and suffer and some die?

Why didnt anyone at all say anything?....it takes months for horses to get in that condition!

More people are guilty than just kate in this.

120 hours of community service is an effing joke...and a pocket money fine. The judge isnt fit for the job.

Horrifying....an experienced horsewoman getting generous livery fees does this. Gobsmacked!
Because there’s no obvious reason for this extreme level of suffering and neglect is the very reason she needs a lifetime ban from keeping animals!

What was the judge on?! The judicial system once again proves its as capable of delivering justice as kate is of caring for horses.

Those poor poor horses.

Cookster

Visit site
An experienced horsewoman, with funds, with outside support....normally inexperience, ignorance, lack of finances and no support are the reasons animals get neglected.

I just ask ‘why?’ in this case.

1 owner was understandably absent from checking on horse while husband in icu at hospital and kate lied to her that her horse is fine. But what about the other owners? Were they also given the same BS from kate, probably saying no need to check, everythings fine?

Livery workers? Scared of losing their job so instead chose to let an animal starve and suffer and some die?

Why didnt anyone at all say anything?....it takes months for horses to get in that condition!

More people are guilty than just kate in this.

120 hours of community service is an effing joke...and a pocket money fine. The judge isnt fit for the job.

Horrifying....an experienced horsewoman getting generous livery fees does this. Gobsmacked!
Because there’s no obvious reason for this extreme level of suffering and neglect is the very reason she needs a lifetime ban from keeping animals!

What was the judge on?! The judicial system once again proves its as capable of delivering justice as kate is of caring for horses.

Those poor poor horses.
The other owners were in regular contact and checking that everything was OK. Always asking if she/ horses needed anything. Kate was giving the BS . She didn't have any livery workers. She appeared as a grass livery offering services independently. As I said people did say something so please do not assume other people were responsible for this outcome. It does not take months either. The owner of the horse that died can tell you that. Perhaps if you read all the threads on this subject you may understand the circumstances a little better

Arzada

Visit site
I didn't believe that a panel of 3 magistrates would not have banned her so I looked it up and this case was held in a Magistrates Court in front of one District Judge. (ETA this is normal, District Judges sit alone in Magistrates Courts). I've seen far more travesties of justice from the cases handled by a District judge than panels of magistrates.
ycbm: is it possible for eg WHW RSPCA to ask for a reassessment of the sentence by another judge/panel of magistrates. Eg as in a lenient murder sentence which I know is a higher court so may not apply to a magistrates' court.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I wish people would stop blaming owners or other liveries. There are lots of reasons why you might have your horse on full grass livery: competing abroad, young-stock growing up, broodmares in foal, retirement livery, life circumstances. I have horses in 3 places now: Max on loan, Amber at stud, in work horses at home. I am assuming Amber is fine! She is at a well known stud with a professional and I am on the phone all the time. Most recently this morning. But I am not driving down there regularly to actually check on her. If you pay a respected, experienced professional to look after your horse then the only person at fault for the neglect of that horse is the person doing the the neglecting.

Also this thread makes it clear that many liveries spoke out many times. I queried how it could have happened earlier in the thread and I regret it. It is clear that people were trying to stop her but in the end the only person to blame is Kate.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I wish people would stop blaming owners or other liveries. There are lots of reasons why you might have your horse on full grass livery: competing abroad, young-stock growing up, broodmares in foal, retirement livery, life circumstances. I have horses in 3 places now: Max on loan, Amber at stud, in work horses at home. I am assuming Amber is fine! She is at a well known stud with a professional and I am on the phone all the time. Most recently this morning. But I am not driving down there regularly to actually check on her. If you pay a respected, experienced professional to look after your horse then the only person at fault for the neglect of that horse is the person doing the the neglecting.

Also this thread makes it clear that many liveries spoke out many times. I queried how it could have happened earlier in the thread and I regret it. It is clear that people were trying to stop her but in the end the only person to blame is Kate.
Well said.

PurBee

Visit site
Ultimately kate is soley responsible for the suffering of these horses, indisputable. Everyone trusted her to provide the services she claimed to provide.

Sorry, i didn’t mean to offend with my comments, i said it too harshly what i meant. Let me explain better:

Being a relative novice dealing with other ‘experienced’ equestrians ive even had my fingers burnt by ‘loan gone wrong’ - being given BS on the phone‘horses are fine’...until the person who recommended the loanee who i trusted also said she would be there to check on them as they were far away, eventually admitted they had been thrown in a field nothing done with them.

I take responsibility for ‘assuming’ experienced horse people would provide care, and assuming they were trustful, as ultimately im the owner of the animals, i am responsible too. I felt so guilty for trusting them. Trusting 2 sets of people wasnt enough to ensure their care. Yes - it deflated my trust in humanity when the inherent trust given due to being fellow animal lovers was broken. I had to really grow up then and realise no matter who i trust, i still have to follow through, im still responsible.

I dont blame the owners trusting her, afterall, look at her reputation.
I feel so sorry for them. Yet i know they will be going through the sentiments i felt, and coming to the decision that trust is not enough, and they’ll never make that mistake again.

Like i said, i was a relative novice at the time, dealing with other other ‘experienced’ equestrians, so i now know, no matter who is entrusted, im the owner and i also have responsibility to my animals for me to keep very personal tabs on them.
Trust should be honoured - and we all desperately hope it will be when we trust people, but the world isnt ideal and these incidents prove it.

Yet to keep perspective, we also know its a small % of equestrians who would break trust so diabolically as kate did with her liveries.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Sorry you had such an awful experience PurBee. I would be more wary of a loan for sure. There are multiple horror stories of loans-gone-wrong. Luckily Max is with an HHOer who I totally trust and who updates me with pictures and video (hurrah) very, very regularly. I feel safer with a professional but I guess people are people are some are greedy, cruel, indifferent. It's scary.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
No holds barred report in H&H. Good effort.

It seems that the dead horse was bred by an HHOer, he was a Janet George bred Indigo ID. Incorrectly named at first as Jane George, but later in the report as Janet George, and I recognise that arena.

Heartbreaking.

KG must be prevented from working with horses ever again.

Last edited:

Mucking out - still

Visit site
I can't understand how it was 'hidden' on a livery yard. I can't believe no one noticed and no one was prepared to speak out in those nine months. Whilst I couldn't accept not seeing my horses every day, and so am on DIY livery, there are times when I need to rely on the yard for short periods - thank heavens, my YO sends daily photos!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I can't understand how it was 'hidden' on a livery yard. I can't believe no one noticed and no one was prepared to speak out in those nine months. Whilst I couldn't accept not seeing my horses every day, and so am on DIY livery, there are times when I need to rely on the yard for short periods - thank heavens, my YO sends daily photos!
The fields in which the horses were kept were a 10 minute walk from the main yard. The liveries on the yard did notice and were key in getting the welfare authorities involved, but it happened very fast over just a 6 week period.

AandK

Visit site

Please read the whole thread and the HHO article posted! It wasn’t over 9 months. It was a period of about 6weeks the owner couldn’t visit due to her husband being in ICU. Other liveries on the yard did try to help, as mentioned on this thread.