Kate Greenhalgh neglect

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Often on a yard which has gone dysfunctional like this there is a "controlling" feature which is employed by the proprietor which extends not only to the horses/animals, i.e. some being "favourites" and others not; but also to people. I knew of a situation at a yard which had an appalling reputation where people were being bullied and controlled as well as the horses, but those individuals concerned just couldn't see what was happening, and anyone else at the yard was just cowed-down and didn't/couldn't say anything about what was going on.

I rather would suspect that this is very likely what has happened here.

lucys_stick

Visit site
Kate Greenhaugh rented fields at the diy yard I am at.She kept these horses at a completely different yard to the one she deals from.It was the actions of many good people at this yard that the true horror has finally come out with the recent court case.If you look on Facebook there is a link to a newspaper article in the Argus and the comments beneath are from a lot of the poor souls that lost sleep trying to do right by the animals when Kate clearly didn’t.She alone was entirely responsible for their care-or lack there of.

Flicker

Visit site
Kate Greenhaugh rented fields at the diy yard I am at.She kept these horses at a completely different yard to the one she deals from.It was the actions of many good people at this yard that the true horror has finally come out with the recent court case.If you look on Facebook there is a link to a newspaper article in the Argus and the comments beneath are from a lot of the poor souls that lost sleep trying to do right by the animals when Kate clearly didn’t.She alone was entirely responsible for their care-or lack there of.

this is really interesting. Do you think it was a case of ‘couldn’t‘ (ie mental health, circumstances, etc) or ‘wouldn’t’ (profit, lack of care, wilful negligence) on KG’s part? What was her response when people tried to step in?

Cookster

Visit site
She was selling lovely looking horses till very recently. I cant fathom how you can have well looked after horses on one part of a yard with horses starving in another. Is anyone who knows the yard offering any kind of explanation as to how/why?
The horses were kept at a different facility to Kates own yard.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I've just read the comments (I'm local to this) and am wondering who her vet was as it is suggested they were involved/ complicit with the neglect? Unless I've misunderstood the comments - I hope I have!) Bloody awful that she has behaved like this, poor horses.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
As Snowfalls has said... I typed this the other day and didn't click "post reply"... It's probably linked to that weird "golden child" vs "the scapegoat" splitting thing narcissistic mothers do with their own children. It's a compulsion of some sort.

I have no idea what we, as a society, can do about people who behave like this. Except mop up the mess when it happens.

lucys_stick

Visit site
this is really interesting. Do you think it was a case of ‘couldn’t‘ (ie mental health, circumstances, etc) or ‘wouldn’t’ (profit, lack of care, wilful negligence) on KG’s part? What was her response when people tried to step in?
I never had any feeling that her lack of care was due to mental health issues as she was still able to run her dealing yard judging from the adverts that came up on Facebook.She was challenged on her lack of care but she was a convincing liar to those that were in the position to take action.In the end a few doggedly persistent diy livery yard customers,who were seeing her lack of care on a daily basis,took their concerns to external agencies.Fortunately they had the wherewithal to take photos thus providing a timeline which showed the true picture of neglect over that dreadful period.

SO1

Visit site
How hard is to throw some hay into a field?

I expect the dealing business may have been under pressure due to covid and people not being able to view horses during the winter and perhaps she was trying to save money by not putting in hay with the hope that the horses would put on weight once the spring grass came through and the owners would be none the wiser about what happened over the winter.

I wonder if many other breeders or dealers were having similar financial problems due to not being able to sell horses during lockdown when people could not travel - obviously now horses prices have rocketed that should get them back to profit again.

Poor doers can drop weight very quickly if not feed properly, and the weather is bad and they get wormy.

The sad thing is if the neglect was because she she was struggling financially due to lockdown and could not afford to feed the horses maybe if she asked for some help then someone may have stepped in and helped with some of the costs of the feed and hay for the horses until her business improved. Perhaps too proud to ask for help. If she had wealthy customers or contacts they might have been able to help her with a loan.

I cannot see any other reason why someone who is fit and well would allow horses to starve other than they could not afford to feed them.

Last edited:

Cookster

Visit site

I expect the dealing business may have been under pressure due to covid and people not being able to view horses during the winter and perhaps she was trying to save money by not putting in hay with the hope that the horses would put on weight once the spring grass came through and the owners would be none the wiser about what happened over the winter.

I wonder if many other breeders or dealers were having similar financial problems due to not being able to sell horses during lockdown when people could not travel - obviously now horses prices have rocketed that should get them back to profit again.

Poor doers can drop weight very quickly if not feed properly, and the weather is bad and they get wormy.

The sad thing is if the neglect was because she she was struggling financially due to lockdown and could not afford to feed the horses maybe if she asked for some help then someone may have stepped in and helped with some of the costs of the feed and hay for the horses until her business improved. Perhaps too proud to ask for help. If she had wealthy customers or contacts they might have been able to help her with a loan.

I cannot see any other reason why someone who is fit and well would allow horses to starve other than they could not afford to feed them.
I am a DIY livery at the yard where Kate rented fields for these horses. Money was not a problem. If she needed more money she only had to ask her clients who horses she was supposed to be looking after.

fankino04

Visit site

lucys_stick

Visit site

This all happened pre Covid it’s just now in the news due to the court case.These were not her horses,she was looking after them,and I use that term loosely,on a grass livery basis for paying clients.Money wasn’t the issue but I am at a loss to work out what the issue was?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I was in the camp of " Gordon Elliott is obviously a vile uncaring person" when his photo went viral but why has this not got the same level of attention, it is after all far far worse ??

Of course it’s worse it much much worse that’s why she is in court not just getting a kick up the backside from the authorities running the sport he’s involved in .
I don’t know anything about this case other than this thread and the link included but on the face of that I hope it’s a custodial sentence.
Again I don’t know any details but where was the landowner in this they ought to have been on it and dealing with it perhaps they where I don’t know .Well done to those who stood up and dealt with this by reporting it .

Mule

Visit site

People with livestock were exempted from the lockdown when they needed to travel to care for their animals.

fankino04

Visit site
Of course it’s worse it much much worse that’s why she is in court not just getting a kick up the backside from the authorities running the sport he’s involved in .
I don’t know anything about this case other than this thread and the link included but on the face of that I hope it’s a custodial sentence.
Again I don’t know any details but where was the landowner in this they ought to have been on it and dealing with it perhaps they where I don’t know .Well done to those who stood up and dealt with this by reporting it .
I was replying to the post about the Irish racehorse trainer that's been banned for the 2nd time for neglect. I think Kate's case has gone pretty viral due to high profile people having horses with her. I can't understand how you can look after the sales liveries ( ones people will see) and let others at another yard starve to death, it's clearly not a case of not knowing enough or even mental health issues just plain greed and cruelty.

Mule

Visit site
It's disturbing that the authorities didn't intervene early enough to avoid the situation becoming so dire. The other liveries on the yard had raised the alarm.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's disturbing that the authorities didn't intervene early enough to avoid the situation becoming so dire. Especially, considering that the other liveries on the yard had raised the alarm.
Yes it’s sad ,
wheres the landowner in all this they had a duty of care that they ought to have discharged .

Goldenstar

Visit site
Unless they just let the liveries to it and didn't check on the animals.

Someone with animals liveried on their property has a duty of care you can’t just leave people to it however I will say again we don’t know the full details of this case , if my understanding is correct KG has not been sentenced yet I expect there will be be more on the media after that happens .

Cookster

Visit site
I assume that lockdown made it difficult for anyone to visit the yard. I could be wrong but imagine that for a certain type of person charging a large sum for a service and not performing that service to a well-known/respected 'name' gives a 'buzz'. There is also the aspect of having full control over the animal, which in some cases would be beyond the financial reach of the livery owner. I hope she gets the maximum sentence possible and is banned for life from keeping animals.
This all happened before lockdown. Its only now that it has all come out in court

teapot

Visit site

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I'm utterly disgusted that she hasn't been treated more harshly and that she showed no remorse (assuming that to be true). What an absolute b*tch.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The sentence is an absolute travesty. I know one of the horses involved’s owner, and she was devastated at his loss. There had been absolutely no justice served at all. I really hope the owners take this further.