Kate (Greyhound)

kimberleigh

Visit site
Copied and pasted from Greyhound thread as the only interest we've had in Kate so far has been from people wanting her for breeding

The guy who owns the pups mum has gifted her to us and so my idea is to look for a pet home for her as I dont feel she should have to go through another litter (given that she had 13 via c section this time, and I think her other litter last year was 7 - shes more than done her duty as a mum!!) We could sell her and recoup some money but tbh she would only be wanted as a brood bitch, and IMO she deserves a sofa and a family to dote over her instead of a kennel and endless babies.

So if anyone knows of a genuine, lifelong home for a 3.5 year old brindle bitch (born 5/3/15) please let me know! Her name is Kate.

She was used to being in a kennel and is clean/quiet in there, but we have had her living in the house for the 4 months we've had her and she hasn't put a paw wrong! No accidents, no chewing, no barking, no separation anxiety.
She gets on with all dogs and bitches, and is amazingly wonderful with kids from tiny babies through toddlers through older ones!
She travels well in the car and walks like an angel on the lead.
We are happy to have her speyed before she leaves if thats preferred but if new home would rather let her settle in first then we would be happy to allow that also - as long as an agreement was made that it would be done and she would not be bred from! She is used to being around horses and doesnt bat an eyelid at them.
She is only trustworthy off lead in secure areas though and will definitely chase small furries like rabbits, but I'm almost certain she could be sucessfully introduced to a dog savvy cat!!
She does not require muzzling at all for walks.
She is registered/chipped/vaccd up to date but we dont have her vacc card.

We wouldn't want any money for her, just for the cost of the transporter to be covered (which is paid directly to him on delivery of the dog).

CrazyMare

Visit site
I would be divorced if I took her but I desperately want to! She sounds like an absolute poppet.

Two greyhounds has already left us without much bed... 😂

{97702}

Visit site
Any news on a home yet K? I’d have her like a shot, she is so pretty, but I can just imagine the dynamics of introducing another bitch of that age to my household! Amy and Millie are already two stroppy little madams arguing about who is number one 😱

kimberleigh

Visit site
Lévrier;13839763 said:
Any news on a home yet K? I’d have her like a shot, she is so pretty, but I can just imagine the dynamics of introducing another bitch of that age to my household! Amy and Millie are already two stroppy little madams arguing about who is number one 😱

Sadly no, nobody is interested in poor Kate! Im getting worried as it will soon be close to the stage where she will have to either be sold to someone as a brood bitch or PTS. Shes currently in a stable which will be coming into use very soon and so her place will be gone. Im at my limit of house dogs so bringing her in isnt an option now. Keeping everything crossed the right home comes along before either of those options are required!!

some show

Visit site
Sadly no, nobody is interested in poor Kate! Im getting worried as it will soon be close to the stage where she will have to either be sold to someone as a brood bitch or PTS.

Nooooooo!!! :eek4::eek4: If it gets to the point where she might be PTS, I'll take her....somehow!! :D Are there any England/Wales rescues that would take her, Kimberleigh? I know there are just too many dogs to help, but she sounds like such a good girl I'm sure she'd get snapped up were she over here.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Annoyingly the guy who she came from will not allow a rescue to take her, which seems a bit ridiculous considering he has no use for her. I guess he knows how overstocked they are and doesnt feel its right for her to be potentially sat in a shelter for years. Which as much as I hate to admit, I wouldn't want that life for her either as she really is an angel. Or maybe because shes registered to him he doesnt want any comebacks? I feel bad for her as if circumstances were different I would happily have her stay, but I have to let my head rule for once rather than my heart

Clodagh

Visit site
Annoyingly the guy who she came from will not allow a rescue to take her, which seems a bit ridiculous considering he has no use for her. I guess he knows how overstocked they are and doesnt feel its right for her to be potentially sat in a shelter for years. Which as much as I hate to admit, I wouldn't want that life for her either as she really is an angel. Or maybe because shes registered to him he doesnt want any comebacks? I feel bad for her as if circumstances were different I would happily have her stay, but I have to let my head rule for once rather than my heart

Oh don't got there! I know someone about to have a 2 year old spaniel bitch pts as they don't get on. Good rescues are just that! On the plus side there are worse fates than death for an animal, and at least they don't know what is happening.

{97702}

Visit site
There is no way she will be PTS - I'll have her before it comes to that, how much would it be to transport her to the UK? Goodness knows I need another greyhound bitch like a hole in the head :D but she deserves a loving home after all she has done in her short life :) :)

texas

Visit site
Oh don't got there! I know someone about to have a 2 year old spaniel bitch pts as they don't get on. Good rescues are just that! On the plus side there are worse fates than death for an animal, and at least they don't know what is happening.

Gosh don't say that :( love spaniels :(

CrazyMare

Visit site
Lévrier;13840434 said:
There is no way she will be PTS - I'll have her before it comes to that, how much would it be to transport her to the UK? Goodness knows I need another greyhound bitch like a hole in the head :D but she deserves a loving home after all she has done in her short life :) :)

I'll contribute if needs be.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Oh dear, how sad, poor Kate. She has made money for somebody (13 pups in litter?) and now this is her fate.

Sadly that is the life of 99.9% of greyhound bitches in Ireland - not nice but it is a sad fact.

Also we certainly havent made any money, despite so many pups! 2 went back to Kates owner, we've kept 5, still have 2 here that havent sold. So actually only 4 have sold and we let them go for a total of 1350. The emergency c section and vets bills for Kate after op, eat up most of that on their own! Not to mention the cost of feeding 13 pups which at one point were eating over 20kg of food per day...then the cost of chipping/ear marking/litter registration/full vaccinations. Even once these last 2 pups have been sold, we will be running at a massive loss.

Not saying other people dont make money, because they do...but that isnt the case here

Last edited:

kimberleigh

Visit site

I agree re both good rescues and that there are fates worse than death!

kimberleigh

Visit site
Lévrier;13840434 said:

It is £80 for the transporter, I'm pretty sure he goes to most places in the UK - going to you would be my first choice everytime, and she genuinely does get on with everything! We've put the cockapoo in the kennel (stable) with her for company atm, and shes a loony - always leaping about and jumping all over Kate, and yet she doesnt make a fuss at all! We've left her unmuzzled with 2 different greyhound bitches, both younger and more bouncy and shes not been an ounce of bother. The only time she growls or snaps is when our big young male tries to mount her 🙈 its only ever an air snap, and he looks sheepish and sits down next to her instead 😂

some show

Visit site
£80 is a bargain! The forever hounds rescue donation for Joe was about £180! :D Put me on the list after Levrier as someone who would have her if it came time for her to be PTS - I'd love to snap her up anyway but I work full time and couldn't risk it in case she had separation anxiety. I took a couple of weeks off to help Joe settle but haven't got any holidays coming up for ages, so just haven't got the time sadly.

{97702}

Visit site
The call is in to my landlady to ask permission for a 5th dog - keep your fingers crossed! I’m not going to do anything to spoil my tenancy arrangement though, and I can see it is a bit ask to have 5 big dogs in a rented house :eek:

skinnydipper

Visit site
Lévrier;13840746 said:
The call is in to my landlady to ask permission for a 5th dog - keep your fingers crossed! I’m not going to do anything to spoil my tenancy arrangement though, and I can see it is a bit ask to have 5 big dogs in a rented house :eek:

Best of luck, Levrier. You have a big heart.

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks all :) There are so many poor souls out there needing rescue and I know you can’t help them all, but I can try ;)

I’m already imagining two brindle (relative) youngsters playing together and my mind is quailing at the prospect :D I’m sure they’ll get on like a house on fire though :)

{97702}

Visit site
OK in view of the resounding silence from the letting agents and my landlady this is not looking good - on to option 2 I feel!

ellieB would you like a second hound? :) I am pretty confident she wouldn't have any separation anxiety issues bearing in mind the lifestyle she has had so far.....

some show

Visit site
Argh, I think I'm going to have to be sensible and use my head not my heart :( I work long hours (leave at 8am, back at 6pm) and I'm lucky enough to live near my mum, who very very kindly pops in to see Joe every lunch time and spends an hour or so with him or takes him for a walk, and I just don't think I could ask her to deal with walking two - especially since Joe has such a prey drive, he can be hard to handle when he goes off on one - and if Kate did the same it would be a bit much! If I was totally independent I would say YES in a millisecond, but I just don't think I can ask it of my mum. Not unless Kate is a proper lazy bones and would be fine to be left most of the day! Sorry Kimberleigh :(