Kauto on the ITV News last night.

Caledonia

Visit site
Yes, really. I was there, I watched him.

Whilst he lit up slightly in the parade, he looked flat and depressed in the pre-parade box. He most definitely had an action similar to stringhalt (if it's not stringhalt then something is going on) in the paddock.

I may well be wrong in thinking it a new issue with him, but I have never noticed him do it before.

It was saddening to see him. Denman looked way happier on the first day.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
He has often not looked right behind even when racing, I wonder if it was the fall at Exeter where he injured his hock and was out for virtually the season and arthritis is setting in. Given his age and the amount of racing he has done from an early age I wouldnt be surprised, I just hope dressage dosnt make it worse now he has to learn a new way of going.

BigBuck's

Visit site
I remember Ted Walsh commented more than once on Kauto's action behind - "he's got an indifferent auld hind leg on him" was how he usually put it.

michellybob

Visit site
I was at Cheltenham too on Friday and watched in him in his box very happily muching away watching the goings on, and then got ready and brought out. He looked a picture, don't know what is wrong with everyone trying to pick fault with him!! Laura and team doing a great job and he still struts around knowing everyone admires him :) legend!!!

Caledonia

Visit site
And on a similar vein why do all the grassroots eventers want to ignore what is so obvious simply because Collet has him? :rolleyes:

millitiger

Visit site
And on a similar vein why do all the grassroots eventers want to ignore what is so obvious simply because Collet has him? :rolleyes:

Please, enlighten us, what obvious things are we missing?

I am presuming I am included in your derogatory dig at amateur riders as I don't see the problem with Kauto Star's new home?

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Well I preferred Denman out of the 2 and it's nice to see the connections of Denman have given more thought to his retirement, than the owner of Kauto, they don't want to be in the limelight the horse is clearly enjoying his retirement and if he bounces out on the track now and then I shall enjoy watching him.:D:D

Caledonia

Visit site
Please, enlighten us, what obvious things are we missing?

I am presuming I am included in your derogatory dig at amateur riders as I don't see the problem with Kauto Star's new home?

It wasn't a 'derogatory dig'? Grassroots is an accepted terminology, or so I thought?

Obvious points missed are that the horse is being used as a pawn by CS to stay in the public eye.

It was clear as day before, but now that it's apparent the horse has always had mild stringhalt, he can never have a career as a dressage horse. So WTF were they doing sending him to Collet, and why were both Breisner and Collet complicit?

As I said previously, comparing his demeanour to Denman's was like chalk and cheese, Denman looked happy and full of life. Kauto didn't - he looked tense and as if he was confused. He was very much ostracised by most of racing, hardly anyone went to the pre-parade box he was in.

So many people wanted to cheer Kauto on Friday, myself amongst them, but I couldn't bring myself to given his current circumstances. There was mild applause in the paddock for him, but nothing like the cheers given to Denman at the start of the week. People feel that by applauding the horse, they endorse the decision by CS.

My heart went out to Clifford having to lead round Silviano Conti, with Kauto in the same paddock, and he couldn't even go and see his old mate.

Last edited:

MadisonBelle

Visit site
So many people wanted to cheer Kauto on Friday, myself amongst them, but I couldn't bring myself to given his current circumstances. There was mild applause in the paddock for him, but nothing like the cheers given to Denman at the start of the week. People feel that by applauding the horse, they endorse the decision by CS. [/QUOTE]

Agree with Amymay TOTALLY......... Absolute pathetic reason to not cheer a horse!!!!

My God that has made me so angry......... Jesus Christ.....GET OVER IT

Girlracer

Visit site
Totally agree with who ever mentioned Kauto's record of falls and errors, would it really be better for a horse like that to go hunting? Perhaps he could go and not jump, but how is that much different to doing some low level dressage, and a bit of hacking?

I really don't get this whole 'he' lost his sparkle' thing, could it not be that he's not as fit as Denman/on a lower energy feed and is considerably more relaxed? From what i saw of him he looked pretty perky anyway, certainly not lacking in presence IMO.

I think he looks excellent, is being extremely well cared for and most definitely hasn't the first clue what hunting is so definitely is not wishing he was doing it. Good luck to them i say...

Daffodil

Visit site
I beg to differ, Caledonia.

i was in the grandstand and the cheers Kauto got were incredible. I swear he got more applause than the runners. I thought he looked absolutely wonderful. Laura has got him looking really fit and well and relaxed, and he paraded and showed off to the crowd. It was a highlight of the day.

It was a joy to see him.

Drakerath

Visit site
Kauto Star looks amazing in that video. Better than ever. Strong in the right places. Gleaming coat. Relaxed and happy temperament. What's not to like? The horse is clearly thriving.
Fair do's to LC. She has clearly worked hard and her efforts have paid dividends already.

Leaf

Visit site
My heart went out to Clifford having to lead round Silviano Conti, with Kauto in the same paddock, and he couldn't even go and see his old mate.

I think Clifford had more distressing things to worry about, and as Paul Nichols said recent events put things very much in perspective...

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I must have watched a different video to some of you! To me he looked happy and healthy and living in the lap of luxury! No he's not going to Rio but it is a public interest story due to his past success.

Caledonia

Visit site
I was in the paddock, not the grandstand, Daffodil?

And frankly, whatever the rest of you think, I won't applaud a bad decision. If those of you that think the horse would be aware at not being applauded, then surely he must also be aware at being ripped from his life where he was safe and happy and well?

You can't have it both ways ......

Sure Clifford has a huge load to bear, but that must have added to his pressure, not relieved it. Or do you not get how much that horse meant to him?

millitiger

Visit site
It wasn't a 'derogatory dig'? Grassroots is an accepted terminology, or so I thought?

The term grassroots is very well known, adding a :rolleyes: smilie makes it seem derogatory to me.

Obvious points missed are that the horse is being used as a pawn by CS to stay in the public eye.

Not missed at all and actually commented on by a few people already in this thread.
I've already said I don't care if he is being used to keep his owner in the limelight; KS is well fed, well exercised and looks happy and gleaming so who gives a fig what the owner perceives he is getting out of it?

It was clear as day before, but now that it's apparent the horse has always had mild stringhalt, he can never have a career as a dressage horse. So WTF were they doing sending him to Collet, and why were both Breisner and Collet complicit?

"Clear as day before" but previously you complained that he had developed stringhalt in his new career and called it a disgrace- slight backtracking there.

Plenty of horses complete in dressage and eventing with stringhalt- I think we all know KS is not going to set the dressage world on fire but, imo, as long as he is happy in his new career it wouldn't bother me if he got 85% or 55%.
He looks very relaxed, content and healthy in the videos, so that is enough for me.

imo, he isn't a horse suited to the hunting field like some other ex-racers- he was known to be fragile while in training and has had some horrendous falls while making bad judgements at fences running tired and at speed.

As I said previously, comparing his demeanour to Denman's was like chalk and cheese, Denman looked happy and full of life. Kauto didn't - he looked tense and as if he was confused. He was very much ostracised by most of racing, hardly anyone went to the pre-parade box he was in.

Clearly you saw a different horse to the one that was shown on telly and the one other people who were at the racecourse saw.
I thought KS looked happy and full of life as well- he looked very full of the joys as he jogged around :)

...My heart went out to Clifford having to lead round Silviano Conti, with Kauto in the same paddock, and he couldn't even go and see his old mate.

How come he couldn't go and see him? Had he asked and been refused by the owner/new handlers?

If so, that's very bad form.
If he just didn't want to because of how the horse left his employer's yard, that's his own choice.

I think we could all debate this until the cows come home and no-one will change their opinion :)
I don't give a flying fig about the owner or his apparent plans for KS to make him a celebrity as long as the horse appears happy, relaxed and well looked after- he seems to be all three at the moment so I think all involved are doing a grand job.