Kauto Star at Olympia last night

popsdosh

Visit site
Was anyone else there thinking he looked a little odd, more than just 'tired'?

I am not surprised ,I find it sad that after such a successful time racing he was not allowed to enjoy his retirement in peace. I could say more but I wont.
I saw the same with Red Rum ,having seen him really close up 2 or 3 times I really felt sorry for him, He owed nobody anything yet he got hauled around all over the place.

SkewbyTwo

Visit site
We thought it was weird that he stopped going forward, and she was pony club kicking him around the arena. He was virtually going backwards.

Popsdosh that is so sad I did not know that about RR. What did he do when he retired? How sad.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I was there too and it was weird how he just stopped going forward. I think it was all she could do to keep him moving albeit really slowly and even leaving the ring he was crawling.

Maybe he got stage fright, I know my horse backs off really badly when I enter an arena alone and if feels like someone has stuck the handbrake on or perhaps he was even tying up it looked so bad. He didn't look completely sound in the trot when he came in at the beginning either.

ihatework

Visit site
In that kind of situation it could easily have been stage fright.

I wasn't there and don't know the horse, but he was such an exceptional racehorse I hope with all my heart he is happy in his new life and isn't being used as a publicity tool.

humblepie

Visit site
Have only seen the video but think it would have been nice to have perhaps had him and then another ex racehorse that is out competing and doing well perhaps doing a joint display or at least being in the arena together. That would have given him some company if it was stage fright - perhaps one of the really successful ROR show horses could have joined in given that they have been to HOYS and so have already had that sort of atmosphere.

dressagelove

Visit site
Have only seen the video but think it would have been nice to have perhaps had him and then another ex racehorse that is out competing and doing well perhaps doing a joint display or at least being in the arena together. That would have given him some company if it was stage fright - perhaps one of the really successful ROR show horses could have joined in given that they have been to HOYS and so have already had that sort of atmosphere.

Have you got a link to the vid?

_GG_

Visit site
I would put it down to stage fright as in every video there has been of him in his retraining, he has looked relaxed, happy, forward and very content.

KautoStar1

Visit site
I would put it down to stage fright as in every video there has been of him in his retraining, he has looked relaxed, happy, forward and very content.

I would agree with this too. its a pretty intimidating atmosphere and totally different to the ones he would have been used to. He was probably just trying to take it all in. Better a little bit behind the leg than going at full tilt, bucking and yeehaaing.

can't comment about the lameness as haven't see the video - does anyone have a link ?

On the whole I am pleased he is out and about and appears to be living well. I am sure those around him wouldn't be continuing if he wasn't happy or struggling mentally or physically. I think we have to credit those closest to him knowing him well enough and knowing and doing what's best for him.

_GG_

Visit site
I would agree with this too. its a pretty intimidating atmosphere and totally different to the ones he would have been used to. He was probably just trying to take it all in. Better a little bit behind the leg than going at full tilt, bucking and yeehaaing.

can't comment about the lameness as haven't see the video - does anyone have a link ?

On the whole I am pleased he is out and about and appears to be living well. I am sure those around him wouldn't be continuing if he wasn't happy or struggling mentally or physically. I think we have to credit those closest to him knowing him well enough and knowing and doing what's best for him.

Agreed.
It's easy for a horse to look lame when it is backing off and it is also very natural for a horse to plant when overwhelmed, so I wouldn't even judge the pony club kicks. You can't predict things like this so when in the middle of it, it's hard to know what to do for the best.

Hets83

Visit site
I saw a video on Facebook and my first thought was that he looked like he had been given 'something' to take the edge off him. Laura Collett had publicly said she was unsure about how he would cope with the atmosphere and being a person who regularly retrains and competes ex racehorses, I can understand her concern. Mine would go mad in that atmosphere but think it was disappointing to see him dopey and not going forward. Think his lack of impulsion made him look slightly unlevel.

We all know that ex racehorses can be retrained to a high standard in lots of disciplines, not sure how needed his appearance was if he did have to be given 'something' to get through it without blowing up.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
There was a lot of bad feeling at the time of the horse being removed from Paul Nicholl's racing yard, so it is not likely that the owner would send him back, to my mind its kinda pointless trying to make him a dressage star, its too little too late.
Some horses can settle to a quiet life others are a bit too highly strung and are better kept in the racing yard routine.
We had to put one down because there was no where for him to go, it was a sad day, but he did not know, and he had been living well for several years after his racing days were over.
Other high profile horse have found various homes with former jockeys or owners [very frequent], it is a problem but in this case it is not a matter of money, it seems to have been a flawed decision, and that is that.

Last edited:

PolarSkye

Visit site

I haven't seen the video, but also think it could be stage fright . . . my very stressy boy looks awful when he is tense because his whole body tightens and he goes very short all round, curls up into himself and doesn't go forward. In that atmosphere, mine would be understandably tense - and, having been to Olympia, I know that that arena is quite small and the audience is right on top of it - a very different environment than Kauto Star would be used to.

P

Goldenstar

Visit site
Stage fright makes horses look awful and it's the weirdest feeling on top when it hits them and that environment is seriously strange for a horse like him .

Luci07

Visit site
It used to be that threads relating to Kauto Star were something to be enjoyed. Now every thread seems to have a people with very strong opinions which they often like to quote as a fact.

Here IS a fact, Kauto Star is NOT our horse, he doesn't belong to anyone on here. His owner made a decision on his horses new change of direction and I for one am happy to keep seeing him out. Yes he is a well known horse but that doesn't make him public property. Numerous reasons why he may have backed off last night but this is a unique situation which you can't really replicate easily.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It used to be that threads relating to Kauto Star were something to be enjoyed. Now every thread seems to have a people with very strong opinions which they often like to quote as a fact.

Here IS a fact, Kauto Star is NOT our horse, he doesn't belong to anyone on here. His owner made a decision on his horses new change of direction and I for one am happy to keep seeing him out. Yes he is a well known horse but that doesn't make him public property. Numerous reasons why he may have backed off last night but this is a unique situation which you can't really replicate easily.

I have to agree with this there's nothing to suggest this horse is being dragged about doing far to much , the work they have chosen for him will keep him muscled and help him stay healthy for longer and the rider is unbelievably talented and the yard will have fantastic facilities,this is a horse who will never know wont or lack of care .

Worry more for the moderate 13 yo TB taking a trip to the sales .

nikkimariet

Visit site
I only saw a 2 minute clip before it was very quickly pulled and sorry, but it really wasn't that bad.

Messy, wobbly and a bit all over the place. KS looked totally behind the leg and slightly peeved. LC looked flustered and also slightly peeved.

I see plenty worse at affiliated competitions.

In fact, at the ROR champs at Vale, one lady came out from the Elem very displeased with her test. Called her horse a *******, kicked it HARD sending it shooting forwards, only to pull it up by it's back teeth 2 strides later.

I would be VERY interested to see a further clip of last night...

Tr0uble

Visit site
I'm Not sure it deserves the outrage it's getting....we commented at the time that it was uncomfortable to watch when he ground to a halt because LC seemed to lose all coordination and every time she kicked her hands flailed backwards and jabbed him in the mouth.

I think it looked even worse as it followed such stunning riding in the dressage.

I agree I've seen worse out competing, but it wasn't nice to watch as a spectator.

Perfect-Piaffe

Visit site
I'm Not sure it deserves the outrage it's getting....we commented at the time that it was uncomfortable to watch when he ground to a halt because LC seemed to lose all coordination and every time she kicked her hands flailed backwards and jabbed him in the mouth.

I think it looked even worse as it followed such stunning riding in the dressage.

I agree I've seen worse out competing, but it wasn't nice to watch as a spectator.

It was awful to watch- everyone around us was saying the same too. I had to turn away in the end- what was she doing?! The dressage before was great though :)

cundlegreen

Visit site

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Its so nice to see him properly muscled up, which he never was when racing. He looks soft and also moves better than he ever did when trained by PN. I always wondered how such an ordinary horse did so well racing. The "pony club" kicking I can sympathise with. there's nothing worse than a horse suddenly going behind the bit when the rider is expecting it to be rather more lively. I had this once with a very forward going Hackney, who completely had a meltdown at the sight of white boards. The resulting video was not a pretty sight!

Tr0uble

Visit site
That's kinda what I meant...it wasn't great but not deserving of all the criticism it's getting.

When he first came out he looked great and we said how nice it was to see him looking so good

Roody2

Visit site

Agree with this. And also the sentiment that it probably did look worse as it followed the high standard of dressage we had just seen.

katherinef

Visit site
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Its so nice to see him properly muscled up, which he never was when racing. He looks soft and also moves better than he ever did when trained by PN. I always wondered how such an ordinary horse did so well racing. The "pony club" kicking I can sympathise with. there's nothing worse than a horse suddenly going behind the bit when the rider is expecting it to be rather more lively. I had this once with a very forward going Hackney, who completely had a meltdown at the sight of white boards. The resulting video was not a pretty sight!

Kauto was the greatest chaser of recent times certainly since Arkle. He was brilliantly trained by Paul Nicholls and was no ordinary horse. This Kauto at Olympia is not the brilliant Kauto I remember.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I'm only saying what I saw first hand and hope I'm not being classed as "outraged" or "criticising". It was not to do with comparing him to the dressage horse previously. Quite obviously he was bothered by something (most probably stage fright as I said first) and there was nothing Laura could do to keep him moving really except maybe give him a wallop which would have gone down badly in any case. The video posted here ends before he gets to the point where she struggled to keep him even walking whilst the commentators rambled on.

It is just an observation but when you are front of an audience of thousands doing a demo it is bound to be noticed and it was VERY noticeable. I mostly felt sympathy / empathy because I have practically carried my WB around many a dressage arena when he was going beautifully in warm-up.

_GG_

Visit site
Well, I'm glad I'm not LC at this moment in time. I just watched the video and good grief, I suppose everyone commenting negatively has never had a horse not play ball at least once.

I understand the sentiment behind the concerns but I personally don't think the concern is justified at all. I was expecting to watch a video and see far worse than that. She wasn't wearing spurs or yanking him around. I'm struggling to see what the issue is here. Just looks like a horse having an off day and being really quite polite about it all.

Alec Swan

Visit site
The horse didn't want to do it, it's that simple. Everything was wrong, walk, trot, canter, as another said Pony Club kicking him on. If his rider sees the video of herself, I suspect that she'll be rather embarrassed.

He should either be back at Ditchet, or Hunting. Failing that, they can send him up here and I'll treat him like a King! I can ride him out when I check my sheep, perhaps!! :)

It was a sorry display, I thought, of a horse which was arguably the greatest Chaser ever. Those who have control of the horse, need to be having a serious re-think, in my modest opinion.

Alec.