Keeping a horse on its own...?

Morgan123

Visit site
I have known a horse that apparently lived 'perfectly happily' on her own for years, The **** however hit the fan once she was moved to a yard with company. I have never seen an animal with such severe separation anxiety before. To be honest I don't think that she was happy when on her own, she just had no choice and so stoically accepted it, her true feelings came out once she had company again.

We should remember that horses are prey animals and that they can hide their true feelings because of this. Often the horse's demeanor does not reflect their actual stress levels if you take their heart rate or check their cortisol levels.

Totally agree with this, I work at a sanctuary and many of the ones that come in which have been living on their own apparently calmly, are suddenly complete nightmares when they finally have a friend. it's sad really. When you think about it, obviously they're going to look fine, eventually, when on their own because they can't keep up a noisy stress response forever so they zone out. You only see the problems when you move them to company and all is revealed. Same as if you lived on a desert island, you'd just cope becuase you have to, but your issues would come to light when you get back to civilisation!!

Is a quiet old companion a possibility?

Marion

Visit site
Think there are always many ways of looking at this, I have too found myself in the situation of keeping my horse alone after the last small livery closed. The only place we could find was a field and stable, the owners of which will only allow the one livery. Given the choice of killing him or allowing him to live alone, we have kept him alive. Ideally I would never keep a horse alone but sometimes it's the only option. There are few small liveries close to us and the large liveries are too stressful for both him and me. He possibly is bored and lonely at times but I think given the other option he would choose to live. Life isn't all bad, 24hr turn out, stable to use as he wants and no one nicks your carrots!

Lintel

Visit site
I've been in the same quandry as in moving to my own place soon. I'm sure my boy wouldn't bother about company but for my peace of mind I'm getting a wee companion from WHW etc. Cheap to keep and have the backup for WHW of anything went wrong or wasn't working out x

mystiandsunny

Visit site
One of mine was in a small pen on her own at the previous yard due to yard rules. She is now very keen not to lose her friends and is anxious if taken away from them. Having friends matters.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine is uber chilled about other horses as a rule and has been since I got him as a 2yr old, however he had to spend 2 weeks alone, not something I was aware of or would have allowed, but it happened. He seemed totally fine but after that he was stressy about being alone for a while. He then settled down and unfortunately 6 months later got left alone for 48 hours and reverted again. Its taken 18 months to get him happy and settled again. He wasnt diffcult and didnt display huge problems and he does if other things arent right, but if you had really looked at him, he was still on edge.

Mine doesnt interact much in the field, hes a cob and all he cares about is food! He would appear completely fine kept alone, but he wouldn't be and I wouldnt do it to him. Surely if there are 2 stables and you are the only owner there is no issue in having a companion?? If its a total no go then I wouldnt do it. Theres always somewhere else!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have known a horse that apparently lived 'perfectly happily' on her own for years, The **** however hit the fan once she was moved to a yard with company. I have never seen an animal with such severe separation anxiety before. To be honest I don't think that she was happy when on her own, she just had no choice and so stoically accepted it, her true feelings came out once she had company again.

We should remember that horses are prey animals and that they can hide their true feelings because of this. Often the horse's demeanor does not reflect their actual stress levels if you take their heart rate or check their cortisol levels.

Absolutely agree with this. Many horses stoically accept their situation, doesn't mean they are happy.

I'm sorry, but I would never consider keeping any horse on it's own. Not criticising anyone that does, just saying that I personally wouldn't do it.

I once had to keep a horse on it's own for a couple of months while I looked for a companion and she was miserable and spooky and kept trying to get me to play with her. She was so much happier when the little welshie arrived. :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Mums mare was far too relaxed in her own, far too much chilling time going on! And we know this because you can see her out the kitchen window :p. She was most put out to have frank back and has lost pounds as he stops her sleeping as long as she would like! We had companions on standby when I moved frank but she seemed fine so we didn't bother in the end but she always has been a people pony. Surrounded by houses so no others in sight etc.

FlashyP

Visit site
No, they're herd animals, for me having friends is a fundamental necessity for horses, I wouldn't have a horse if my only option was to have it alone.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have kept horses on their own in the past: didn't bother them in the least and they were always fine at shows, etc. not hysterical or clingy and returned home with no problems. I have stallions that graze alone happily, and live next to other horses equally happily in their stables. It does depend on the individual horse of course, so the only way to know is to try it and see. If horse is distressed then a companion may be a solution, but that leads to its own complications too.

Horses which are NEVER alone tend to cause the most problems when required to work on their own. IMO horses should be trained to be left alone as part of their education, not pandered to all the time.

Last edited:

Micky

Visit site
Well a lot of different opinions out there!! Seeing as he has lived on his own before and the only thing I was worried about was him being stabled at night on his own, I think I'm going for it....the other horses are spitting distance from him, he's out with sheep and can touch noses with horses in the field next door (who handily he knows) ....thanks for all your input....if I didn't know him a well as I do or he was a loony or showed clingy tendencies, I wouldn't be doing this.... happy chrimbo
, haha...

ShadowHunter

Visit site
My mare lived alone with me for a year. There was another horse several fields away which she could hear if it neighed, which was rare. I believe she was pretty happy. I would find her fast asleep laid flat on her side right in the middle of the field, nearly daily in summer. She'd pass other horses out hacking without making any fuss too.
I got another in July this year. Nothing has changed at all. Still chilled and happy to separate. In fact, it's the new horse that has separation anxiety.

While not ideal, it can be done for certain horses. However, not all will cope.

Akarno

Visit site
I have a warmblood mare and a little Eriskay pony keeps her company. My marish mare (that some have described as a maniac!) from the outside can look like she could do without her elephant in a china shop native pony attitude at times but she absolutely would not be without her and as other posters have said they don't have the opportunity to relax if they aren't in some kind of herd with another watching over them whilst they deep sleep.

When my mare was on her own for just 3 days when we had a x over she really was quite depressed and the difference in her when her new pal arrived was very clear, much happier and more relaxed and more like her.

A little native, Shetland etc might not add too much to your bills - they're hardy and mine just eats my fussy warmbloods left over hay so there's no waste! Try a rehoming shelter perhaps?

Good luck what ever you decide

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Mine has been in a field alone for years now with no ill effects. His has "neighbours" and enjoys meeting a variety of youngstock, oldies and whatever may be put next to him. Took care of the last foal when she decided somehow to get into his field!