Keeping a horse on its own...?

Micky

Visit site
Quandry...where to move my horse, who is and has been for the whole time I've had him, (12 odd years) quite self contained, not massively interacting with other horses bar his old field companion (with for two years, just the two of them but has now gone).. we have been on diy yards before, he doesn't get in with a gang like some do but remains aloof equally like some other horses do, sooo...yard I'm on is closing down soon, the lady who runs it is retiring for some r and r.....so I've been looking around at other places, finding: no winter turnout, huge prices even for diy or too far away and or rubbish hacking...Or I can have a wee yard (2 stables) to myself, plus fields with sheep in them but no other horses on bar my own....hackings good, school to hire etc...horses in fields and stables next door and behind his stable.....I'm very tempted as it's very close to home too...I think my horse would cope just having company a quarter of an acre away and sheep...opinions please? And no nastiness...life's too short to be negative!! Thanks.....

limestonelil

Visit site
You know your horse and it sounds as though there are plenty of others within shouting distance. Sounds a lovely set-up, and there is space for a companion if you find he needs one right up close and personal.

Beausmate

Visit site
Not something I would ever do. Horses that live on their own never quite let themselves relax properly, even though they might seem fine. If you are a horse, then it's very much 'safety in numbers' for a nice, low stress life.

If the only option of keeping my horse was on its own, I'd sell or pts.

Guess that's a no from me! :)

SEL

Visit site
I find my mare is much nicer with a companion - I'm not sure she sleeps properly when it's just her. Is another companion a possibility or sheep in with him?

tankgirl1

Visit site
I would go with the small yard and get a little companion pony, I picked up an amazing little shetland this summer to keep my mare company over winter

SpringArising

Visit site
I would never keep a horse alone unless it had to be. Horses within shouting distance doesn't come close to being able to groom, touch, run around and 'watch out' for each other. Surely there's no reason you can't get a little cheap companion?

Clare85

Visit site
Personally, keeping a horse alone would not be something I would even consider. They are herd animals and hugely benefit from being able to touch, smell and interact with other horses, even if some choose to do so less than others. Even if your horse doesn't seem bothered about the others in his field, he will definitely be benefiting from their company.

Our little cob doesn't seem fussed about other horses on the face of things as she never worries if her field companion is brought in and is quite settled on her own, but she loves to have another pony with her so she can groom or feel safe to lie down with a watchful eye.

The little yard of your own sounds a lovely setup. If I were you, I would go for that option and get a companion.

paddi22

Visit site
another one who would never keep a horse by itself, think it would be a miserable, sad life for it. A charity would foster you out a mini, they are very hassle free. Or else sublet the other stable make a bit of extra money, plus free companion

Farma

Visit site
It's really individual I would have always said no way but my old mare was so much happier alone, she hated other horses being near her in the field, near her stable or in a warm up and would normally seek to be very dominant or aggressive toward them.
She lived on her own for a while and was much happier and more relaxed for it, I did later find she did ok with the company of dominant geldings.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I once had an enquiry from people who said my pony would be kept on it's own as their last one was quite happy living like that. I suggested they might get a Shetland for company. They replied that they did not want to go to that expense. I felt it only kind to save them even more money by not selling them the pony, but I expect they got one from someone else. Horses are herd animals and I don't think they should be kept alone. And how do you tell if the horse is happy living alone or not? Because it never complains?

My stallion is usually seen grazing on his own away from his mares. So it might be thought he'd be quite happy living alone. But you try taking one of his mares away!

Daisy99

Visit site
Not something I would ever do. Horses that live on their own never quite let themselves relax properly, even though they might seem fine. If you are a horse, then it's very much 'safety in numbers' for a nice, low stress life.

If the only option of keeping my horse was on its own, I'd sell or pts.

Guess that's a no from me! :)

How exactly do you know a horse on its own never quite lets itself relax??

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I used to have a little grey pony when I was a kid and he would live on his ownsome quite happily. He was also turned out in a huge 100+ acre field with a load of cows - but no other horses - and was fine. When he did come into contact with other horses he was fine too, so looking back, that tells me that he was actually a very happy little chappie.

My boy, when he arrived, was on his own for a week or two due to unforeseen circumstances. He was fine, had been in a big trekking centre up to then. He wasn't whinnying or anything, just seemed glad to have all the grass for himself!

However........ however, I wouldn't keep a solo horse out of choice TBH. Horses are (like dogs) herd/pack animals and it just isn't natural for them. Yes there may be other horses around in the immediate area, but as someone else has said, they won't be able to mutual groom or rub noses, or have any sort of herd dynamic which is to important for a herd animal.

I'd approach a rescue and see what they've got which might suit as a companion; if it is from a rescue then it can always go back if your circumstances should change. I think your horse would thank you for providing company.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have known a horse that apparently lived 'perfectly happily' on her own for years, The **** however hit the fan once she was moved to a yard with company. I have never seen an animal with such severe separation anxiety before. To be honest I don't think that she was happy when on her own, she just had no choice and so stoically accepted it, her true feelings came out once she had company again.

We should remember that horses are prey animals and that they can hide their true feelings because of this. Often the horse's demeanor does not reflect their actual stress levels if you take their heart rate or check their cortisol levels.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I would never keep one alone personally, I have done when we had to move yard quickly, and she was really desperate for company. When we turned up she would bronc over neighing as she was lonely, we had racehorses next door but not close enough. Luckily another horse moved in the following month and she was settled again. I have one that will happily live alone, he was in isolation when he first arrived and didn't care at all in his stable and has a field to himself. As soon as he was turned out with another couple of horses you could see the difference though, he was relaxed and seemed much happier.

So I think some horses will happily tolerate it, but will always prefer company! It is also worth mentioning that some horses just don't get along which makes life difficult ! I have one that is really fussy over his friends, but loves others that have a similar personality to his !

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I agree with the others...I don't believe horses do very well on their own. A little friend would be the best option and there are plenty of companions at charities that would love such a fab home :)

catkin

Visit site
Do consider adopting a rescue as an equine companion for him. Talk to a good rescue - they will help you select a horse/pony suitable for your management routine - it's to everyone's benefit. We have a sanctuary pony who is just right for this home - she's an utter delight.

Charlie007

Visit site
For one reason or another my horse ended up on his own for about 4 years, might have been longer. I have had him for 12 years and I can honestly say there was no difference in him. He has company now but he really didn't seem to mind being on. His own. Even when I got my second horse and turned the new one out my old boy never raised an eyebrow!! You know your horse. Move him, see how he gets on. You could always get a companion.

pinkypug1

Visit site
One of My mares was always with company both big herds and smaller numbers then went 2 years with no company and nothing in her nature or attitude changed!! She is back with a small herd again and still no change she just adapts and gets on with whatever situation she's in and doesn't stress or worry.

Antw23uk

Visit site
If you choose the private yard then I'm one step ahead of you so wanted to comment. I've had my horse at home since July and he is kept on his own. He has horses/ ponies on all three sides of his paddocks. He can groom them over the fence and interact with them. I've had him four years and he has pretty much been turned out individually for the whole time (including a year on loan) and one of the reasons he was on individual turnout was because he was a bit of a shitbag with other horses. He just doesn't stop antagonising and upsetting them!

He has settled at home, its a lovely place and I'm working towards making the stables more open and airy ect because he doesn't particularly like them or the little yard I have, he always seems a bit on edge but hes very mannerly and stoic so doesn't make a fuss and I put his jumpiness down to just settling into the new place as he was so used to busy livery yards.

I took a friends pony for a few weeks as a companion and he antagonised and wound it up constantly at first but he got told off (by said pony) and eventually they just became mates BUT the difference in him on the yard/ in his stable was very different and noticeable, even if the companion wasn't on the yard (and he was purely a companion so was out in the field, I rarely looked at him) he had a whole calmer demeanour about him and this I put absolutely down to having a companion for him. He still hacked out alone, didnt make a fuss etc but he was calmer and more settled.

The companion pony didnt work out, it was a trial so has now gone. He still has his friends around him in the adjoining paddocks but he has gone back to being that slightly on edge horse when I have him on the yard. As it stands I would actually seriously dread having to put him in his stable if he needed box rest or something (I plan to keep out 24/7 now i'm at home anyway .. the luxury)

Would he be ok staying on his own ... yes he would put up with it, he is that kind of horse.

Would he be happier and more relaxed with a companion ... absolutely.

Now I've tried it and seen the difference I would definitely say get a companion (and something with compatible grazing needs so Im not sure why people are suggesting a small shitland or pony as they are rarely allowed the same kind of grazing as a horse!)

As for my boy ... well he needs to hold out for another couple of weeks because if all goes to plan he will have himself a girlfriend and I will have a rather lovely 2nd riding horse :)

Micky

Visit site
Thanks for all your opinions..interesting reading!! There would be sheep in fields with him, I cannot have another horse or even a really teeny tiny one as the kind lady who has offered her stables to me has never and I mean never offered them to anyone else in years since her daughter left with her horse, and she will not have another ponio on the place, she is doing me a favour... if most of you read my original post, you will have read that my horse does not interact with the others (bar the wee pony years ago..) no grooming, no nose touching ( and I'm talking hours of being at previous yards watching him walking etc the horses in the fields)..if anything he chases them away from his space, repeatedly if need be...he's always been like this, he's quite a grump and anti social!! I agree with the relaxing side of being with another or in a herd, one other companion in the stable next to him would be ideal but I'm not too worried about him being out in the day with just the sheep..it's when he's in at night..even though the other stables are within spitting distance..mind he's such a pig, if I filled the Haynes enough he'd prob be happy...I'll have to think a bit more about this, can't face the bitchiness/bossiness of livery yards or the costs....!! Thank you all x

Antw23uk

Visit site
Thanks for all your opinions..interesting reading!! There would be sheep in fields with him, I cannot have another horse or even a really teeny tiny one as the kind lady who has offered her stables to me has never and I mean never offered them to anyone else in years since her daughter left with her horse, and she will not have another ponio on the place, she is doing me a favour... if most of you read my original post, you will have read that my horse does not interact with the others (bar the wee pony years ago..) no grooming, no nose touching ( and I'm talking hours of being at previous yards watching him walking etc the horses in the fields)..if anything he chases them away from his space, repeatedly if need be...he's always been like this, he's quite a grump and anti social!! I agree with the relaxing side of being with another or in a herd, one other companion in the stable next to him would be ideal but I'm not too worried about him being out in the day with just the sheep..it's when he's in at night..even though the other stables are within spitting distance..mind he's such a pig, if I filled the Haynes enough he'd prob be happy...I'll have to think a bit more about this, can't face the bitchiness/bossiness of livery yards or the costs....!! Thank you all x

I say try it. You know your horse, you will know if its working out or not. Could be the best move you ever make and being on your own yard is luxury, lol!

Micky

Visit site
And thanks antw23... that's interesting again...reckon mine would be the same as yours...sounds familiar, but if a poobag occasionally with others but not at all with two of the horses! Bizarre! if it was a wee mare, he'd be fine I'm sure, I just can't have another one with me...though I can always try n charm the lovely lady in meantime...as for a Shetland, mine needs restricted grazing or a muzzle anyway so it could work out!! Thanks muchly...large glasses of vino all round..

Equi

Visit site
The best behaved my old TB ever was was on his own. When i brought in a livery i could not let him have the other horse out of his sight or he went mental - yes there was other horses in fields that share a fence. Did not matter - field buddy was God.

So, my point is you need to commit to either alone or three...cause two might not work lol

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Your horse, your decision and you know him best. Mine are all in separate fields.........for various reasons. One is anti social, one hates the mare, the anti social one cannot be with mare either. They all seem quite happy, don't kick each other or pull shoes off each other........my horses and my decision !

So you do what you believe is right.........in the great scheme of life a horse on its own is not an issue. Obviously if he seems unhappy you can reassess......go for it x

Lucky788

Visit site
Try it and see :) I said I would never keep my horse at a yard with individual turnout but I'm at one that has just that. He's calmer and more settled than he's been in a long time. He's older and I think he likes the peace.

If there will be horses in sight and he's happy I would jump at the chance to have my own place :)

Equi

Visit site
Your horse, your decision and you know him best. Mine are all in separate fields.........for various reasons. One is anti social, one hates the mare, the anti social one cannot be with mare either. They all seem quite happy, don't kick each other or pull shoes off each other........my horses and my decision !

So you do what you believe is right.........in the great scheme of life a horse on its own is not an issue. Obviously if he seems unhappy you can reassess......go for it x

Quite. A friends horse is now in its own paddock and is NEVER to be put near another horse cause it will kill it. Literally.