keeping guinea pigs inside

Elbie

Visit site
I love guinea pigs. Used to have them years ago and would like to get some more one day. I currently live in a flat do not ideal for guinea pigs! Would love my piggies to be able to be outside on grass but that's not an option. Instead I wanted to get a large indoor cage and then allow them floor time for a good leg stretch each day.

I was talking to my family about this last night and my sister was banging on about how it's cruel to keep them inside as they should be out. Was just wondering what people's opinions were on this. To me it's no different to having a hamster inside or a house rabbit. Is being in a hutch and run outside more natural and better for wellbeing? I would think it cruel if they never left the cage but I would allow them to be on the floor when at home.

webble

Visit site
Having tried both and currently having them inside I would say inside is better. You see them more so can check for illness etc and get to interact with them more. I spend ages just chatting to mine and watching them.

I have also found guineas dont deal with the cold that well so a house is better for them as long as they have a secure house that is safe from other pets

Kinder

New User
Visit site
House pigs are fine.

I keep 30 + guinea pigs and are housed in a purpose built shed, but do quite often have some indoors for whatever reason, and they all enjoy a good life in each environment. Happy to home any of my young stock as house pigs, as they tend to get a better quality of life, much more attention as they are in the family home and if by chance they were unwell it is picked up on much sooner.
The pigs do not suffer at all by being house pets, in fact most , especially during the winter, get a consistent amount of interaction as opposed to bad weather making them more ignored outside.
They won't miss the grass if you give plenty of fresh veggies or can buy them turfs to munch on. So many options to make your piggies happy. I have a grass machine so that even during winter months my shed pigs get fresh grass, along with all their fresh veg.

Visit site
Mine come in during the winter but get let out in the porch for a stretch every day. I don't have grass so even in the summer when they are outside they have to make do with veggies

Kinder

New User
Visit site
The grass machine was made by a company called Aquacrop and it grows barley grass hydroponically. It is quite a large unit as intended for horses. It has heat and light 24/7 and self waters every 4 hours.

You can grow barley grass in a greenhouse or propagator quite successfully during the warmer months but this machine is amazing.
Not made anymore, bought ebay second hand, but other makes are available now , but very pricey.

webble

Visit site
The grass machine was made by a company called Aquacrop and it grows barley grass hydroponically. It is quite a large unit as intended for horses. It has heat and light 24/7 and self waters every 4 hours.

You can grow barley grass in a greenhouse or propagator quite successfully during the warmer months but this machine is amazing.
Not made anymore, bought ebay second hand, but other makes are available now , but very pricey.
I wont be getting on but it sounds brilliant!

Elbie

Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys!

I did wonder what my sister was on about. Our old piggies were kept outside and brought in when it was really cold at night but we didn't have a hutch with run attached so the only time they would go on the grass was in summer when it was warm enough! She made it sound like we had full on free range piggies!

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Mine live inside, all through winter and then overnight through summer. Personally I'd much rather see them inside during the colder months as they are not designed to live in cold areas and none of mine have coped well with living out through snow etc.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I've kept free range out door guinea pigs for years and they keep their condition and seem to do very well. Their houses are completely insulated and weather proofed with sheltered out door areas surrounding the hutch. When the temperature's drop, they have a 10 hr heated gel pad under the bedding as well.
I'm sure yours will be fine living indoors though. They are such friendly little characters and mine enjoy human company. Incidentally, mine never bother to graze the grass during winter. As soon as the spring grass comes in, like the horses, they are straight out with heads down. I supplement their feed and forage with wild herbs and veg.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I kept mine indoors and it was great as you can Interact with them much more than if they are outside. if you have a bit of outside space you can grow grass in a container or buy a couple of pieces of turf if you are impatient(like me)..I used to pick dandelions and grass for them when I was at my yard, they always seemed to know when I had got some and started calling as soon as I opened the front door....as long as they get plenty of exercise they will be fine....we need piccies when you get them please

Elbie

Visit site
Will do! Need to get ok from landlord first :/

Someone mentioned cage ideally 150cm. In the pet shop they had indoor cages that they said were ok for 2 guineas but they were no way near 150cm! Will definitely be buying the largest cage I can get

3OldPonies

Visit site
Good luck Elbie, I hope your landlord agrees.

My two live out in the summer and in the conservatory in the winter. For those days when the sun is out in the winter they don't get too hot, but as soon as the sun has some warmth in it, they go out during the day and come back in at night. They also have hutch in the garage that I can use in bad weather when they are supposed to be out, or for warmer autumn/spring nights. The garage by the way is never used for cars, like most people it's a bit of a store room. As well as these three homes I have a run that goes on the lawn and that we can attach to the outdoor hutch so that they can choose whether to be in or out!

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
Elbie, don't buy a pre-made cage. They're never big enough, and cost a bomb. Google 'c & c cages'. You can make them really easily and they're really cheap. You can even do two levels or a little upstairs level with a ramp, there are some really nice designs and you can use dust-free shavings or fleece in them very easily. I've never seen a pre-made cage big enough - as ever, the big pet stores just want a big profit!

Guinea pigs do much better indoors in my experience. A constant temperature suits them better than the extreme drops and rises we can get in this country, not to mention they lose their fear of humans quickly as you're constantly passing the cage and saying hello. They also soon learn the sound of the fridge door and will 'wheek' the house down for veggies!

Hope your landlord okays them - good luck! Oh and please try to adopt them - there are lots of GP rescues all over the country that are overflowing because people don't really think of adopting them for some reason! They have adults but also a lot of babies - the products of petshops not bothering to split up males and females, so buyers get more than they bargained for with pregnant GPs :( There's a list of rescues on here: http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/centres.asp

Elbie

Visit site
Elbie, don't buy a pre-made cage. They're never big enough, and cost a bomb. Google 'c & c cages'. You can make them really easily and they're really cheap. You can even do two levels or a little upstairs level with a ramp, there are some really nice designs and you can use dust-free shavings or fleece in them very easily. I've never seen a pre-made cage big enough - as ever, the big pet stores just want a big profit!

Guinea pigs do much better indoors in my experience. A constant temperature suits them better than the extreme drops and rises we can get in this country, not to mention they lose their fear of humans quickly as you're constantly passing the cage and saying hello. They also soon learn the sound of the fridge door and will 'wheek' the house down for veggies!

Hope your landlord okays them - good luck! Oh and please try to adopt them - there are lots of GP rescues all over the country that are overflowing because people don't really think of adopting them for some reason! They have adults but also a lot of babies - the products of petshops not bothering to split up males and females, so buyers get more than they bargained for with pregnant GPs :( There's a list of rescues on here: http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/centres.asp

Thanks for the tip! Just had a quick look at the site. Flipping hell, even I could live in some of those cages! Definitely didn't think the pet shop ones were big enough.

I have also looked into some rescue places near me.

Hoping can convince the landlord to say yes. He was very wary about agreeing to let me hang pictures on the walls so it may take a bit of magic :)

Elbie

Visit site
Update...my landlord said yes! well, kind of.

He said he has no issue but pets are not allowed under the T&Cs of the block management so it's up to me. Seeing as there are several cats, dogs, house rabbits in our flats I don't think I'll be too worried!

Now off to hunt some piggies!

Elbie

Visit site
I won't forget! Just ordered a C&C cage and about to get onto some rescue places. Cage should arrive the week of my birthday so perfect timing! I'm literally like a child at christmas right now!!!

Elbie

Visit site
Resurrecting this old thread! So after my landlord said yes to the pigs he then back tracked and said no because he's a jerk. So I didn't get them.

Anyway I know have my own house so looking to get them again. Just have to ask myself. I say it's ok!

Does anyone here have a c and c cage? Was just about to order then wondered about a lid. Is it necessary? Will be getting a cage with a loft. Will a lid be necessary or do any of you have one without?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
great!!!!! cant give you an answer about lids for c & c cages but if it was me I would have a lid just in case you have a climber...one of mine would have tried to climb out especially if she heard me coming in from the garden with grass!!!! don't forget we NEED piccies when you get them....

Possum

Visit site
I got my 2 piggies a c&c cage for Christmas last year. We got a 4x2 cage with 2x2 loft and lid. Although it is miles better than their previous cage, if re-buying I'd have gone for the 1x2 loft because it's difficult to get to the back of the base with the 2x2 loft on top of it. I do like the loft because I put their hay up there and it stops them making quite as much mess of the fleece. I think if they didn't have the loft they'd be ok without the lid, but with a loft I think I would.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
elbie, I have looked at the c & c cages and they look really good so if you only have the one level you would probably be ok without a lid as long as you don't have dogs/cats/small children, the lids seem very pricey to me...

Elbie

Visit site
Thanks guys! Will definitely provide pics when I get them. Going to get some rescue piggies.

Possum - it's the 2x1 loft that I was thinking of getting. So will stick to that idea!

Splashgirl - yep it is a lot for a lid! May go without and am sure I'd be able to find something lid like if I need it!

Elbie

Visit site
My c and c cage arrives tomorrow! Just putting feelers out now for some piggies.

What do you guys use as bedding? Some people have mentioned using fleece?

dibbin

Visit site
We kept our second one inside with no problems. He got out for a leg stretch in the house regularly, and used to get taken out to the garden as well :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
There is a guinea pig rescue in St Albans.

I used to use fleece in part of the cage and wood pellets in the other it worked quite well although I only had one in the end and I lost him last November and didn't get anymore :(

Last edited: