Keeping Warm

dorsetladette

Visit site
Fleece lined waterproof chaps are amazing for keeping legs warm.

I’m struggling with my fingers. When they get cold, they throb. The pain is unbearable. Gloves don’t seem to make any difference.

Latex gloves help. The motocrossers put pepper in the them to help keep their fingers warm. Then warm gloves over the top. X

maddielove

Visit site
I was given a heated vest as a Christmas gift this year and it keeps me incredibly warm, runs off a battery pack and has 3 different settings front and back. I pop it on with down jacket on top when leaving the house and by the time I've driven to the yard I am suitably pre warmed. Don't think they are too expensive, less than £50.

asmp

Visit site
I struggle with cold toes. Fingers seem ok (rarely wear gloves riding!). I can’t wear long thick socks as have chunky legs and my boots definitely wouldn’t do up so if anyone could recommend short socks that keep toes warm, I would be very pleased (not alpaca wool ones as i don’t do hand washing!)

dorsetladette

Visit site
I struggle with cold toes. Fingers seem ok (rarely wear gloves riding!). I can’t wear long thick socks as have chunky legs and my boots definitely wouldn’t do up so if anyone could recommend short socks that keep toes warm, I would be very pleased (not alpaca wool ones as i don’t do hand washing!)

Heat holders are amazing x

dorsetladette

Visit site
I think I'm going to try some fleece lined jods or leggings. I already wear a vest tooked in my jods (or whatever bottoms I'm wearing) plus a jumper and a coat that covers my bum. I wear waterproof trousers over my jods when its wet or windy.

It feels warmer today, but the last few day's Ive felt like an old creaking gate.

Roxylola

Visit site
I've got some musto jodhs with a fleece lining which are really good - sort of soft shell so a bit water resistant, but the seat is suede so they're not great in heavy rain for riding.
Also for anyone with cold hands or feet if you suffer from raynauds at all no matter what you put on your extremities they won't warm as circulation reduces (or stops). I find the best prevention is to keep the wind and rain off but also to keep my core really warm

Sprat

Visit site
I suffer terribly with the cold, it does seem to be much worse this year than I can remember for a while. Not sure why as I'm not sure this winter is worse than previous, but I'm currently in the middle of an extended fibro flare which I am convinced has come from getting too cold while riding in -2 last weekend.

I generally go with layers, and loads of them. Thermal top, long sleeved tshirt, jumper and then yard coat. If I am feeling particularly like a pansy I'll stick a heat patch onto my lower back as well. Tights, thermals, jods and if needs be joggers over the top. My hands are really suffering this year, I've just ordered a pair of silk gloves to go under my yard gloves / riding gloves, and I also have handy heat patches to go in gloves as well.

I look like I've been exploring the antarctic when I get home but if it helps keep me toasty then that's fine by me.

Would also agree with Roxy, prevention is better. I get togged up, including gloves, snood, ear warmers etc whilst in the warmth of the house before heading out. I find that if I try to warm myself up once I'm already cold it's more of a struggle.

Dave's Mam

Visit site

I’m struggling with my fingers. When they get cold, they throb. The pain is unbearable. Gloves don’t seem to make any difference.

I have Reynauds & literally feel your pain. I keep a hot water bottle outside my stable & when my hands get sore, I hold it for a little while til they ease. Bonus is it's easy to replenish!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hot togs (hottogs.co.uk) thermal leggings. They are fabulous. I'm very happily warm.

I got a pair at Blair a few years ago. I'm wearing them today under my Dublin gel warm it riding tights. They are very high rise and very comfortable.

Last edited:

NinjaPony

Visit site
Currently not riding. I wear:
Primark fur lined leggings
Thermal socks
Long sleeved base layer
Softshell jumper
Gilet
Coat (got a Pikeur one in the sale a few years ago that I love)
Ski trousers
Extra fluffy socks
Ski gloves
Hat
Neckwarmer

This combo keeps me toasty doing my chores. I have to take the gloves off for fiddly jobs, but I have terrible circulation in my hands and the ski gloves are the only thing that helps.

Sealine

Visit site
In this really cold weather I wear Equetech overtrousers which are reasonably smart and toasty warm over Musto snug jods. I've had the overtrousers a few years but I don't think they make them any more. I don't think the Musto snugs will survive another winter so I'm on the look out for some winter riding tights as a cheaper alternative.

My other winter essentials are:
  • Gloves - sealskinz waterproof for yard or Mark Todd winter gloves for riding
  • Fleece hat
  • Fleece neck tube
  • Thermal base layer top under a fleece
  • Thick warm coat covering bum/hips
  • Boots - Neoprene lined wellies for yard and Ariat insulated short boots for riding (I only wear one pair of normal socks)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
A pair of breeches from Robinson's which cost a tenner about 5 yrs ago. Double layer, they make my hind quarters look immense but I honestly don't care as they keep me warm and I can still get my grassmeres over them. They are very prone to sagging so I need a belt!

Sorry TFF but your having sagging hind quarters made me laugh.

Bionic Boy

Visit site

Have you tried hothands hand warmers? I suffer from Raynaulds and whilst they don’t stop all off the loss of feeling and then pain it doesn’t seem as bad and my hands recover quicker. I tuck them in my gloves.

windand rain

Visit site
I have ski trousers over my johds but for some peculiar reason they have a popper instead of a button at the top of the zip which keeps popping open when I move fortunately they have belt loops so have to wear a belt. When they fall down they take my under trousers with them so could be a big pink shock for someone

chaps89

Visit site
Someone on the board recommended these on a thread in AAD.
I have raynauds and have never found gloves that work but I figured these were cheap enough to take a punt and I'm so glad I did. If anything my hands get too hot in them, can highly recommend. Best bit is they're waterproof so if carrying wet haynets, spill water on them etc your hands stay dry which is a big thing for me, likewise for picking wet muddy feet out.

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-517-insulated-waterproof-precision-work-gloves.html

I can also highly recommend equitector boots. They're the only thing that let me go out in this weather, anything else and I'm a frozen crying mess within minutes.

Fleecy full length waterproof chaps have been another godsend.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Does anyone have heated insoles? I can see cheaper one on ebay/Amazon, but the only ones that seem to be highly recommended are the very expensive skiing ones. Anyone any experience? Mind you I may not need them this winter at the rate this lockdown is going...

chaps89

Visit site
Does anyone have heated insoles? I can see cheaper one on ebay/Amazon, but the only ones that seem to be highly recommended are the very expensive skiing ones. Anyone any experience? Mind you I may not need them this winter at the rate this lockdown is going...
My OH bought me some a few years ago, technology may have moved on from then to be fair.
When they worked they were great but given the nature of the product they only lasted one or two uses which meant buying replacement pads at not inconsiderable cost - essentially walking on the elements breaks them. We got trading standards involved as they were so expensive and refused to refund initially.
I do really rate Equitector boots, I can wear regular socks in them and be outside all day and not get cold, impossible in other footwear even with thermal socks, heat holder socks, multiple pairs of socks etc etc

sbloom

I do really rate Equitector boots, I can wear regular socks in them and be outside all day and not get cold, impossible in other footwear even with thermal socks, heat holder socks, multiple pairs of socks etc etc

I already wear the warmest insulated snowboots that Salomon make :p, they're not quite as warm as the previous pair that came from the US and had 400g Thinsulate and even then I could get cold feet when working. I have the coldest feet in the world.

sbloom

There's nothing more miserable than cold feet is there :(

I keep them unlaced in the van until I get to my first appointment so the first customer has to wait for me to lace them up, or the blood supply never gets going and they'll never get warm. I have to try and get the right size, wide and long enough for thick socks, but I now have gone a fraction too big, and it's a really deep toe box, so my feet can't keep all that air warm. And yes, it's flippin' miserable, and I don't want chillblains (heated van of course in between appointments). I do make sure I keep my legs as warm as possible too, a too warm top half doesn't help much and I can overheat easily when adjusting saddles. Gloves are another issue but I wear thick, windproof wrist warmers as I need fingertip feel for working, and then whack on thick mittens when watching horse and rider, very classy!