Kent vet

Cuffey

Visit site
Benson sadly only about docking puppies--had hoped for more

ROYAL COLLEGE OF VETERINARY SURGEONS
V
DAVID E SMITH
CHARGE SHEET
That, being registered in the Register of Veterinary Surgeons and whilst in practice at Lakeview
Veterinary Centre, 58 Union Road, Deal, Kent CT14 6AR and Dover & Folkestone Quarantine
Kennels, Crete Road West, Folkestone, Kent CT18 7AB you:
1. On 14 December 2010, in the Channel Magistrates Court, were convicted of removing the
whole or part of a dog's tail otherwise than for the purpose of medical treatment and were
sentenced to pay a fine of £1,300; and further that the conviction was on 16 May 2011 upheld
by the Canterbury Crown Court;
And it is alleged that the above conviction renders you unfit to practise veterinary surgery;
AND/OR
2. That, being registered in the Register of Veterinary Surgeons and whilst in practice at
Lakeview Veterinary Centre, 58 Union Road, Deal, Kent CT14 6AR and Dover & Folkestone
Quarantine Kennels, Crete Road West, Folkestone, Kent CT18 7AB you:
a. On 27 March 2008, other than in relation to the conviction in the Channel Magistrates
Court on 14 December 2010 referred to in 1 above, removed the whole or part of the
tail of 12 puppies other than for the purpose of medical treatment; and/or
b. in or around April 2009, altered a record that had been completed in relation to the
removal by you on 27 March 2008 of the tails of puppies by adding the words "for
law enforcement"; and that you did so:
i. in a deliberate and/or dishonest attempt to mislead; and/or
ii. when you ought to have known that the said alteration might have been
misleading.
AND THAT, in relation to the facts alleged, whether individually or cumulatively, you have been
guilty of disgraceful conduct in a professional respect.
21 March 2012

NooNoo59

Visit site
I dont think this is the first time he has done something wrong, best avoided in relation to all animals

hoggedmane

Visit site
no but I posted it so hopefully anyone looking for a vet to vet horses in Kent would be wary.

I had a pony vetted by him too and have been contacted by many others who have too.

I would like to avoid anyone else having similar problems. I don't really care why he's struck off - just hope that this time he won't be allowed back.

EAST KENT

Visit site
OK you lot..let`s give you the facts on this one. David was asked to dock a Rottie litter bred by a security establishment purely for working homes,so he obliged. Now,if the clients were lying THAT is not his fault. As it happens,another vet ..who had worked for him ,his first job in fact,..had one of these docked rotties enter his surgery when it was around six months old.How do I know..I was in that surgery at the time.That vet had parted on bad terms with David,and just could`nt wait to "get" him.Despicible in my opinion to do this to someone good enough to give them their first chance in practice,but there you are ,some folk are scrotes.
This vet then informed the rspca..no caps you`ll notice..and so it all started up.YESTERDAY THE CASE WAS DISMISSED,END OF STORY.:mad:

Last edited:

EAST KENT

Visit site
Possibly so..but that yet has to be proved,and NO ONE is guilty until PROVED so! I would be totally amazed if anything was proved in the future, I KNOW this guy very well remember ,you lot do not,he is`nt faultless by any means ..but a crook..NEVER.:mad:
By the way ,ANYONE stupid enough to get a horse vetted by the dealers vet has to be less than intelligent in my opinion.

hoggedmane

Visit site
No one said they used the dealer's vet - I asked the dealer I dealt with specifically whether she was his vet and when I booked the appointment whether they were her vet so are you now telling me he was their vet? Kent police would be interested in that.

exert from RCVS documents on the case
'The Committee has concluded that Mr Smith’s conduct fell short of that to be expected of a
veterinary surgeon but does not consider that it fell far short of that to be expected of a
member of the profession. Therefore, the case is dismissed.'

All documents can be read here
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/complaints/disciplinary-hearings/

Suziq77

Visit site
He was our vet when I was a kid (in the 1990s). All our ponies liked him and me and my sister did too (we were aged from 7 to 18 when we used him). Reading reports like this makes me sad as I remember him as a really good vet :(

benson21

Visit site
Possibly so..but that yet has to be proved,and NO ONE is guilty until PROVED so! I would be totally amazed if anything was proved in the future, I KNOW this guy very well remember ,you lot do not,he is`nt faultless by any means ..but a crook..NEVER.:mad:
By the way ,ANYONE stupid enough to get a horse vetted by the dealers vet has to be less than intelligent in my opinion.

Thats your view. Mine and many others on here may choose to differ with what you believe. But that is not an arguement to have on here.

EAST KENT

Visit site
As said..CASE DISMISSED.Now it is up to those of you who purchased dud horses to provide tangible evidence is`nt it? Now,I bought a cob mare off another dealer in Kent..oh so quiet when I tried it..and oh so different once back home. I do believe it was drugged at viewing ..but I cannot PROVE it..she was sold on at a loss. Had I taken it up it would have been laughed out of court.Animals are not machines are they,buy with your eyes in the back of your head.One tip,the dealer usually emphasises how good the animal is in the aspect it is bad in..in that case napping, in another napping and spinning plus being unloadable.Yes it loaded to get it home,funny how droopy it`s bottom lip was though! I have bought two horses vetted by David,both are wonderful and exactly what it said on the tin, and neither were the two duds mentioned.:D

hoggedmane

Visit site
Actually I won a court case against the dealer but they wriggle and ignore the law and I didn't get my money back. Hence I do feel I have something to say.

benson21

Visit site
Lucky you. Just because you have had a good experience with him does not mean that happens for everyone.

EAST KENT

Visit site
I would warn you that you are sailing close to the wind on the libel front,there is a limit on how much you can say in law .NOTHING is proved,so far no charges have been brought..you should remember this and tread carefully.:)

lizziehb

New User
Visit site
It seems if you read the RCVS statement that they were quite on the side of the vet - they say in no uncertain terms that the clients were lying!

EAST KENT

Visit site
Pressurised by the rspca and wanted to avoid prosecution themselves most probably,but yes,their case was full of holes.

cptrayes

Visit site

Interesting argument :rolleyes:

Do you also think that any drunk girl stupid enough to go back to a guys flat with him deserves to be raped? Or anyone who forgets to shut a window deserves to be burgled?

Last edited:

EAST KENT

Visit site
So,just supposing these crocks that were vetted as fine had actually been given a shot a couple of days before vetting? Drugs can easily be obtained ,the vet is`nt to know.If it was a five stage vetting though..are`nt blood samples taken and stored? All I CAN tell you is that THAT drug is not on the shelf of that practice.As said..no one is guilty until proved so . Until any charges do surface it seems better and fairer to shut up .

HappyHooves

Visit site
So,just supposing these crocks that were vetted as fine had actually been given a shot a couple of days before vetting? Drugs can easily be obtained ,the vet is`nt to know.If it was a five stage vetting though..are`nt blood samples taken and stored? All I CAN tell you is that THAT drug is not on the shelf of that practice.As said..no one is guilty until proved so . Until any charges do surface it seems better and fairer to shut up .

What drug is "THAT drug" or did I miss something?

And you know what's on the shelves? How interesting!

MrsB

Visit site
What drug is "THAT drug" or did I miss something?

And you know what's on the shelves? How interesting!
Hmmm, so just wondering East Kent as you seem to know what's on the shelves... I'm one of those "stupid people" that foolishly trusted a vet to carry out a vetting... I can't say exactly what he failed on in case once again, I get told off for stating the facts... :rolleyes:

Dovorian

Visit site
The 'rumours' about this vet have been going on for ages locally! I know of a few instances which may be 'questionable' in the eyes of some folk, but also many who think he is realistic when dealing with large animals. He actually trusts the judgement of owners which I think is quite rare, but I admit this relates to larger stock - cattle horses etc.

EastKent - how on earth do you know what drugs Mr Smith has?

We can all choose which vet to use, it is a business relationship after all. And no, he isn't my vet!

Last edited:

Toffee44

Visit site
I have used this vet, and his practice. But luckily never needed mroe than jabs. But have heard of another vet locally, who again had rumours about a false pass 5* that was never proven, words can be horrible things.

There has always been rumours about David, and that there have been rumours about docking before this one. Just because people think its wrong to dock a dog doesnt mean the vet was 100% wrong to do so. Many of those against docking which they now have their way with law, dont see injurys on working dogs however the law is the law.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Last edited: