Kevin Kat has been diagnosed with a stomach tumour.

Ratface

Visit site
As above. The locum practice vet failed to identify this when I consulted with her a couple of months ago. She said Kevin had Feline Irritable Bowel Syndrome. She didn't make any treatment recommendations or give any advice. Kevin continued to lose weight and veer between bolting large amounts of food and leaving it
Today, I took him to my usual vet (same practice),who was on annual leave when I took him before. He did a manual examination and said that Kevin had a stomach tumour.
He gave him a hefty shot of steroids and said to bring him back at the end of next week. If no improvement in appetite, and weight he will then be pts.
He's 15. He had a rotten life before he came to me, being a persecuted semi-feral stray, kicked out by his doting elderly lady owner's daughter because he scratched her two-year old son when he was dragging him round by his front legs. A friend knew that I had just lost my 22yr- old cat (who the RSPCA had assured me was 10 yrs old eight months before) to acute kidney failure, and rescued Kevin, assuring his elderly owner that he would have a good home with me.
I think he has. He's had fun taunting swans (idiot Kat!) running around with his slinky black girlfriend, lying in the sun in the wheelhouse and being a Smarmy Git with the neighbours for a bit of cheese or Dreamies.
He's been an excellent, if demanding companion whilst I've been pretty much bunk- bound with M E two days out of three. I'm a loner and he's been my best mate.
I just can't stop crying.

Sandstone1

Visit site
So very sorry to hear this. It sounds like you have given Kevin the very best life. I hope he improves and it turns out to be not as bad as you think. If it does turn out to be the worst news then you have made the last years of his life the best years. Kevin is a very handsome tabby boy and you have changed his life.

MiLeTa

Visit site
So sorry to read this. He may have had a bad start to his life, but you have made sure that his years with you have been full of love and comfort, and he has been treated like the King he is. He definitely fell on his paws when your friend decided you should be his next servant, and I'm sure he knows just how much you love him

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
He has the best life with you. I'm so sorry that it is cut short; after a terrible start he has been given the opportunity of a devoted and loving servant, and has become a legend to this forum.
Ratface, you are doing him proud. Please look after yourself too. PM if you need anything

alibali

Visit site
I'm so very sorry to hear this.

Kevin knows how much he means to you I'm sure, he would only treat you in his imperious manner because he was supremely confident you loved him enough to put up with it!

Hugs to you from another ME sufferer.

Ratface

Visit site
Thank you, all. I've texted Kevin's connections - the people who suggested that he could find a good-enough home with me and who I have kept in touch with. One just texted back "sorry" and the other texted back "Shame".
These are both people that I have supported through what was for them Hell and high water. Sitting with both parents, (seperately) holding their hand as they died when the offspring couldn't cope and had run out of the room, and the other to manage a bullying, abusive partner and a sadly dementing mother.
One of them I supported when her horse had to be pts, and she couldn't bear to be with him. I held his head collar when he was shot. Dealt with her daughter's violent boyfriend and explained, succinctly, exactly what would happen if he didn't go away and stay away. He did, and was never heard of again.
I'm good at supporting other people's horrible times. I've coped with the death of two husbands and my son's (ex-Army) serious PTSD, demanding wife and two sons with serious learning disabilities.
I'm prepared for the death of my beloved Old Horse. He's lived in 5* luxury for the last ten years. He'd been dumped alone in a field after getting a DDFT injury during a highly successful BSJA Grade 2 career. I bought him to prevent him going to the meat man, and he's been a laugh a minute ever since. He's rising 28 now and retired.
I'll eventually work through the blanket of grief that's smothering me at the moment. I won't tell anyone else in real life. It's not worth having the grief bounced back at me. I'll stroke Kevin and sit next to him reading, and enjoy whatever time we have left together.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m so sorry it was bad news. Perhaps there’s only some people that can really understand that animals are no different to any loved one and losing them is just as painful.

You’ll do the right thing for Kevin, so I won’t be sad for him, but I will be thinking of you and wishing you strength in the coming days. Look after yourself x

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I'm so, so sorry. They bring so much joy, and comfort to our lives, but it hurts so much when you find out that your time together is most likely soon coming to an end.
I presume the only comfort is that it is only you that will struggle emotionally, King Kevin Kat doesn't know what you know, hopefully he will be able to just enjoy the days as they come.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I am so sorry to hear this RF. Your warmth, intelligence and humour shines through all your posts as does your love for the King of Kat's and your dear horse. As we enjoy hearing your stories, Kevin must enjoy being the cause of them and must feel very smug he has such a wonderful caring servant to call his own.

There are no words but know we are all sharing in your sadness and are here whenever you need an ear xxx

Please do write the Kevin Khronicles, or indeed your life story or anything you might care to write, I for one would be putting in a pre-order for a signed first edition! Xx

PurBee

Visit site
Sorry to hear of Kevin Kats developments RF. Its never easy when they get older. My old boy was up and down in the last months age 20, and i gave him my lap as much as i could, inducing his huge purrr…despite the senility the purrr never changed! So bittersweet, but they at least have us comforting them every step of the way, and many on the forum would happily be your comfort too, if you need us.

Your story is of the care-giver, and will attract takers. We’re all tested, to always try and be strength for others. We all feel disappointment when our backs are not covered by those we’ve helped numerous times. Some have no capacity, in that way - their strengths are in other ways, for other people. Reciprocity seems to be a myth!
Your strength to cope with raw harsh events is evident by your story. Your capacity to still have plenty of adoration to give and to love your dearest animals is testament to that. Sharing the joy of that with the forum is spreading that joy. That will-to-love flame can often extinguish with so much sorrow…and for others the inverse happens, they love and give more fiercely, keeping the flame burning even brighter. Often it flickers as we cry our hearts out, and that’s completely natural. The wax has to flow for the flame to burn brighter.
Big hug X