Kevin update

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Some people may remember that my special Clydesdale horse Kevin, has become unpredictable under saddle. Two vet trips later( this has been going on all year) , we are still none the wiser to what is actually wrong with the lad. It's been very disappointing. Over the last couple of weeks I have spoken to both his vets, my instructor, a couple of professional riders and with their help come to a decision on the future. It is the concenus that Kevin, who has been very hard used in the past, has a number of health isssues, including hock pain and gut pain, that combine to create a very unhappy horse under saddle. That mixed up with the fact he is alway expecting a wallop for his reaction, means, that at times, he untrustworthy undersaddle and can be a danger for himself and his rider, I am a leisure rider, isn't it meant to be fun. I'm not prepared to risk myself or any professional rider. Kevin's job has now officially changed from main ridden horse, to chief lawn mower, local celebratory, eater of carrots and General bank account drainer. His future is secure. He is relaxed and happy and if in pain in the field, hides it well. He is totally unfazed by not working, in fact hides when saddle appear! I think he will cope well. Poor old Ffin has been upped to main ridden horse and seems to relish being the centre of attention. I hope t add to my collection next year.........I'm a glutton for punishment:D

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Glad to hear that you have finally come to a conclusion with this, I am sure it's a weight off of your mind!

What was his job before he came to you?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to fix him, but it sounds like he has a happy retirement ahead of him. He's a lucky chap.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh that's a shame to hear, as he's a lovely horse. But at least your mind can rest easy on a resolution now (constant diagnostics is very tiring), and like you say, sometimes there is a back catalogue of stuff going on with them that with the best will in the world can't all be fixed.

Good luck when you come to find a new partner in crime. Hope Ffin continues to be fabulous in the meantime :D

Asha

Visit site
sorry to hear you've been able to get him back under saddle. Although it sounds as though Kevin is delighted.

Can we have a photo of Ffin ? Is he a new one? ( apologies if ive missed a thread on him)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Although I'm sorry you couldn't fix him (and goodness knows no-one could have tried any harder than you) it does sound like a good decision for both of you.

It's sad but I'm sure also a bit of a relief too.

Another one looking forward to learning more about Ffin! :)

SEL

Visit site
Its so tough isn't it, when you know there is an underlying problem and it just can't seem to get fixed?

It must be a weight off your mind having made a decision. My Ardennes shaped lawnmower is very happy in his retired mode. We sometimes go into the school for a bit of 'join-up type work' or long reining, but I think that's more because I think he needs entertaining than anything else!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Thank you all, yes it's a big weight off my mind, Kevin is with me for life and if I can not not for any reason care for him he will be pts.

Ashetlandbitmeonce I have very little history about Kev, his passport was issued in 2015 at Sean Murphy's yard in Tralee, Ireland. He was shipped to England , spent a year in a field, being ridden in the field by a novice couple, sold to a dealer, then swapped with the dealer I got him from. He was on his way to a riding school but the owner lost her Mum just as he arrived and so the dealer sold him to me. He was in four different homes in four weeks poor lad. I had a brilliant year before something broke/went.

I plan to do some inhand stuff with him, he is an intelligent lad and revels in attention, so he will need something to do.

Asha poor Fabulous Ffin ,was the horse I bought Kevin to replace as my ridden horse. He has ringbone and I was hoping to give him a slower pace of life. I will just have to get used to riding less, kinda like a mini break :D Ffin however seems to be enjoying himself so far, although I'm missing my lessons and dressage ( I do occasionally take Ffin to do an intro, just to keep everyone on their toes;)) I'm terrified of breaking this one to!!!

I'm moving house once I'm settled I will phone Peter Folwell, our local respectable dealer and see what his got!! My sister keeps on at me to buy a decent horse but my heart says ...... traditional:D ( will I never learn)

Ffin on the pink ride. This was taken as we raced to the finish ...Ffin is on the left, with the attached bobbles ( what a star!)

https://www.facebook.com/lovedhorse/posts/745914335601262

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It must have been so wearing going through all the investigations. How nice to hear that you are going to keep him on in his retirement, as long as he remains well. I didn't realise that you hadn't owned him very long, he's a lucky lad. Well done, OP :).

I hope that Ffin can keep you going until you find your next horse.

JJS

Visit site
Tudor would like to welcome him to the early retirees club. He informs me that it's a very nice life for a healthy young boy, with lots of time to spend playing with friends and cuddles galore. He hopes Kev will be just as pleased with his new lot as he is!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I love this photo of you!

22007814_745914318934597_8068393399780766034_n.jpg