Kicking horse (not mine) - what would you do?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
You have obviously been on the wrong end of a kicker, and I am truly sorry about that, so have I.
It damn well sucks, but no need to rant at me, I was merely expressing my opinion on a public forum, and I believe that I am allowed to do that, no-one has to take any note of what I think.

Oh, and I do not have an endless supply of individual paddocks, If I need them I make them.

Wasn't ranting it was your comment saying it isn't the owners fault , I explained there are instances when the horses owner is at fault if they knowingly don't tell a yard of their horses habit of kicking. So in this instance no one knows if this owner did not tell the YO it kicks, and to come out with a comment defending owner when we don't know the true story.

This actually happened to a livery wanting to move here because a yard she was at turned new horses straight out with existing ones. Some women knew her horse well pony actually was a double barreler out with the groupe. The YO was not told of this pony doing this hence poor Alfie got a broken cannon bone which did fracture over night before her moving here. Since then 4 more horses have been PTS because of new liveries lying about their horse. They had done the circuit of the area being booted out , thats how I found out . YO to YO.

Also MY Lami mare kicked as a coloured had a vendetta against her long long long long story with multiple injuries on numerous occasions,the first being she fractured splint bone 19 pieces from the coloured. I now separate all new ones , any new ones seen to kick allot they are out. One lied about the horses height pleading he was 16hh yeh sure bloody 16 3 1/2hh Clydesdale so some people do lie about their horse just to get into a yard. Needless to say she got asked to leave due to damage horse was doing .

Last edited:

indie999

Visit site
Wonder why she left her last yard? Would move yards if the YO isnt going to do anything. Daughter must wear hat and she did the right thing. I would take a lunging whip with me or a stone(sorry may not agree with me but I would and have done that to my boy who on windy days can fly past and he has got a wack with whatever I have had to hand). But I realise a young girl might not be doing this kind of thing(mind you I bet the owner would freak)!!
I would move my horse got a nasty kick and was out of action for a while..fur flying etc etc.

LadyLuck1977

Visit site
I would speak tothe yo and insist this horse gets moved, I didnt and mine got kicked by ahorse like this, after 9 months I can finally get back on. It could have been much worse. Never would I put up with this again if its not taken seriously then move your horse.

fishy

Visit site
Thank you so much for all your responses. I have spoken to the YO who has agreed that the horse is not to be turned out in the field with any others. However we are still in our small winter field. We are due to go into our summer field at weekend, which is much larger, but will have more horses in. The YO has told me that he will allow them to turn it out with the others but insists that everyone is there when they are turned out so that its behaviour can be monitored. He also said that if it attempts to kick horses/people when they are taken out of the field he will not allow it out with the others.

I do understand that a new horse has to find its place in the herd and I too have seen seemingly quiet horses assert themselves with hooves! My concern was that it occurred as they were being brought in and the owners denial.

Thank you all again for your comments.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I do despair of the Livery Yards which just chuck new horses straight out with established herds! :(
We have ours at home and if a new one arrives, then all back shoes are removed for at least a week, they are put in fields next to each other and only when all is calm with them either side of the wall are they put in together. The introduction is also done carefully, with the youngest, most gobby going in first with the new one and others introduced when the first two are calm and so on until all are in the same field.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Are we seriously saying that waggling a lead rope to say - 'move out of my space' is unacceptable? Have you assumed I would be brandishing either implement threateningly and attempting to hit the horse with it?

I said if it were me..... I am an adult....

Sorry, should have been a little clearer in my response.

Waggling a leadrope at a horse intent on kicking you - will get you no where.

Brandishing a lunge line at a horse intent on kicking you will, most likely, end up with you getting kicked.

Certainly as an adult, take the risk by all means. But a child? Absolutely not.

be positive

Visit site
Sorry, should have been a little clearer in my response.

Waggling a leadrope at a horse intent on kicking you - will get you no where.

Brandishing a lunge line at a horse intent on kicking you will, most likely, end up with you getting kicked.

Certainly as an adult, take the risk by all means. But a child? Absolutely not.

My thoughts exactly, thank you amymay for saving me typing a reply:D

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
YorksG - unfortunately most yards don't have an option, there just isn't spare fields next door.

When I bought my new youngster a few months back he had to go straight out with 4 others, 2 of which are mine and 1 of those is the herd leader. He was fine with him and the other 2 (just normal settling antics) but my filly gave him hell, she turned into a complete bitch and I'd have moved him if the alternative field wasn't worse with several dominant horses that really let their hooves fly. Sometimes you just have to go with it, none had back shoes on so the risk was lessened but even if they did, I'd have had no choice.

So most of us will have to just get on with it unfortunately :(

zaminda

Visit site
For me the main problem is the owners' attitude. She says it is just establishing pecking order. As this horse kicks when being groomed it is clearly not just a pecking order issue! Having said that, when my pony got above his loaner in the pecking order, he turned into a right thug with other horses, so maybe if she taught it some manners on the ground it wouldn't be so bad with other horses!

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Youkre completely right Zaminder, any normal human being would be horrified at their horse scarring the hell out of a kid, regardless of reason and would certainly make sure the child was ok and then discuss what could be done to prevent it happening again.
I suspect in this case the woman has instantly gone defensive because it's not the first time th horse has acted this way, and best line of defence is attack and all that.....:(

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I agree with others about owners attitude. I would be mortified if this was my horse. I would not need to be asked, I would have taken my horse out and tried alternative arrangements which suited safety of humans and horses.

The horse I described in my previous post is out with my 2yo. I was very worried about her kicking and hurting her and kept kicky next to the herd for a bit. When she went out with them eventually she does not kick at her. I've seen her jump up but never let's legs fly. And it's been great for the 2yo because these 2 play and are pretty good buddies. How and ever the blanket damage is annoying! But whatever manners the older ones taught her seemed to have been passed down. Thankfully.

Terri