Kids and share ponies - are we being taken for a ride?

Kirstineridesagain

Visit site
My daughters have been sharing some ponies for over two years. The eldest is growing out of the biggest one (it's quite tiny and my daughter is 11). But that isn't the issue, really, as she can probably ride it for another year.

The main issue is how we are treated by the owners. We pay every single week, year round, despite us being away for every single school holiday. That just means that every ride is quite expensive. We pay 45 pounds per week for the two ponies to take them on a hack, groom them, and do 30 minutes of poo picking. We also pay for part of the shoeing. We have a slot, but frequently we get asked to change it as the owners want to go to events with the ponies, have friends who want to ride etc. There are also plenty of other sharers, some even on the same day, and we get asked to be back at a certain time, not to go out for too long etc. If there is an issue with a pony I am always told it's our fault. "Anna must be a nervous rider, I've never seen Seabiscuit do that with us." That sort of attitude. Last year we kept being promised the opportunity to go on a beach ride, but I realised it would never happen after a while. This week they cancelled our slot because of their own commmitments - when I asked if she could find us another slot, she replied that the share isn't about just riding, it's sharing the ponies. Well, my kids don't want to come to just groom and poo pick.

The tack is also not optimal. It takes me so long to saddle up as the girths are too short. All in all, I'm becoming a bit fed up. The reason we have kept going is that the ponies are generally lovely and my children have been enjoying it. But I could spend some money on lessons and get their skills upgraded instead. I just worry that the children will miss the ponies, and for my youngest, it's a really good match still size wise. I guess I am realising we're just one of many sharers and even though I'm friendly with the owners and have done them many favours (don't want to be too specific) I just feel like they are taking the piss sometimes. We bought a full set of showing gear, for example, as a couple of years ago my children were allowed to go to a show with them and do some classes. The owners reassured us we would be able to use the clothes plenty of times, but they've invited other people along the other times and my children have outgrown their gear now.

The solution to all this would of course to get our own ponies, but financially we can't right now.

How much is normal to pay for a pony share once a week? Is it really fair to keep paying whether we can ride every week, either due to circumstances on their part (injuries, owners' using the ponies) or us being away? We also lose a fair amount of rides due to the weather. I think the owners have been quite clever in their setup, as they make about seven or eight thousand pounds per year on this (based on my own calculations) and can dictate exactly when people can ride.

By contrast, someone we know who has a similar share just pays ten pounds every time she rides, and can choose when that is. When she's unable to ride she pays nothing. And as for me, I don't pay to ride at all, I exercise someone's horses and they're very happy that their horses get ridden. I guess this just makes me question the arrangement I have for my daughters... (having said that, I think it's reasonable to pay for a share, I know it's expensive to keep horses!).

We're in the southeast, I don't know if that makes a difference to how things work.

nagblagger

Visit site
I was getting frustrated reading that. Yes you are being used and abused, I presume because you have been nice and accommodating in the past.
The owners are getting their ponies paid for by the sharers and have all the benefits. Start looking elsewhere, take your children to a riding school, maybe they can bond with a pony there that would love the attention.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I don't think it's normal to share with a large number of people. Most shared ponies have only 2, maybe at most 3, sharers & you have your day, when they are yours all day.
This arrangement sounds more like a riding school that is calling themselves something else to avoid regulation.
Leave, definitely.

BigRedDog

Visit site
I was getting frustrated reading that. Yes you are being used and abused, I presume because you have been nice and accommodating in the past.
The owners are getting their ponies paid for by the sharers and have all the benefits. Start looking elsewhere, take your children to a riding school, maybe they can bond with a pony there that would love the attention.

Tbh I stopped reading somewhere in the third paragraph - it’s painful to read - of course the owners are taking the absolute mick. Go find a decent riding school or loan a pony.

Nothing more to add. I am sorry you and your daughters are being treated this way. I am sure you can find a better deal, with nicer, fairer people.

Kirstineridesagain

Visit site
Yes, I think you are right. I will start looking at the yard where I ride. Having met the lady who owns the horses I ride I'm just astounded at the different attitude.

The pony owners are so much about the money. They also make long, moany posts in the WhatsApp group for the sharers about things they're not happy with. Every time there's a message there, I know it's going to be a complaint. And we really do our best to do everything correctly. Now our Easter holiday is coming up and we'll be away for three weeks...so that's a lot of money when we can't ride.

I think we have to go.

Kirstineridesagain

Visit site
You are right. I'm a pushover. I have met a similar lady in dealing with horses once, and in the end my husband told me to stop riding her horse as she was so rude. Upsetting as I had really bonded with the horse and it was perfect for me. But now that I've found a genuinely nice lady to ride for, I'm glad I did leave.

Sigh. There are many lovely people in the horse world but unfortunately I've met a few that are not.

ihatework

Visit site
I don’t think the price is too high, or the expectation to pay every week irrespective, or the expectations to do some chores.

The unreasonable aspect is the opportunity to ride being withdrawn from you - especially for people other than the owner to ride - that is gobsmackingly bad.

An occasional competition identified and communicated in advance with an alternative date to ride I could live with.

The chance to compete / beach ride etc yourself will generally depend on competency (and ability to transport) but it’s not an unreasonable request and if the answer is yes then it should be facilitated

Abacus

Visit site
Definitely agree that they are not being fair to you. My one caveat is that my experience of sharing is that it is normal to pay even when you are on holiday as ponies still need feeding, and if (in more normal circumstances) you are the only sharer, they can't fill your slots with someone else that will pay. So as a sharer I would expect to pay while away, but you are paying too much; and them cancelling your slots or otherwise breaking the agreement is definitely wrong.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I don’t think the price is too high, or the expectation to pay every week irrespective, or the expectations to do some chores.

The unreasonable aspect is the opportunity to ride being withdrawn from you - especially for people other than the owner to ride - that is gobsmackingly bad.

An occasional competition identified and communicated in advance with an alternative date to ride I could live with.

The chance to compete / beach ride etc yourself will generally depend on competency (and ability to transport) but it’s not an unreasonable request and if the answer is yes then it should be facilitated
Have to disagree. In my area a share is £20 -£25 (plus chores) for a whole day that's set aside to do what you like with.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Is this person running a riding school? And is there adequate insurance in place for the many sharers? I think anyone operating a bona fida riding school and it's associated legal requirements would be absolutely snarling at this owner taking the mick. You could probably loan or part loan a mother and daughter pony for a similar cost, depending where you live.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yep - I'd say the owner is running a small business of of those ponies.

Your spending £2340 a year to support her hobby/business and aren't getting much in return.

Have a look on preloved or local FB pages there are plenty of people looking for sharers local to us at the moment.
Indeed! That place should be licensed by the local authority. I suggest that you take your children to a properly licensed RS where you can book rides at times to suit your lifestyle, at sensible prices.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I knew I'd discussed shares versus unlicensed RS before. Here -- (scroll down I can't link to the exact post but there's a list of which activities need a licence , about half way down this page)

maya2008

Visit site
So you go away on holiday for 3+ months a year? Definitely better off in a riding school, or finding a share where the owner’s kids are away at boarding school so they want them keeping exercised during term time but not in the holidays. Could your children manage with one pony between them?

If your children aren’t very competent I would expect to pay, and perhaps to be asked to book them lessons on the pony to improve their skills, but the current arrangement doesn’t sound ideal.

SO1

Visit site
I think the difficulty here is you are looking for term time only riding/sharing and lots of people are looking for help all year round. It is not just about paying the money if they need help with exercising and poo picking.

They may need extra sharers to cover the school holidays when your children are away.

However they should always have a slot for you once a week and if that is not available maybe offer you two slots another week. However I expect if they are kids ponies the owners maybe taking their holidays at the same times as you and that might be the times that your children cannot ride.

Timelyattraction

Visit site
That is unreal!
I have a 12hh welsh a who i have a sharer for. They pay £20 per week for two times a week. If they can only come once a week then they will just pay me £10. I dont take any money if they are away on holiday. They get to take her out to shows etc and we have great hacking round here. No facilities but in the summer they are able to school and jump in the field. They will muck out her stable on the days they come down.

Kirstineridesagain

Visit site
That is unreal!
I have a 12hh welsh a who i have a sharer for. They pay £20 per week for two times a week. If they can only come once a week then they will just pay me £10. I dont take any money if they are away on holiday. They get to take her out to shows etc and we have great hacking round here. No facilities but in the summer they are able to school and jump in the field. They will muck out her stable on the days they come down.
You sound like a lovely owner. That would be an ideal set up for us.

I don't actually mind paying a bit when we're away (which is due to the fact I'm not British and we go back to my home country a lot, we don't go on fancy all inclusive holidays!!) but it's all the factors adding up. And mucking out or poo picking is fine with me, however I feel we're giving more than we're receiving right now...

Bobthecob15

Visit site
This is one of the reasons we bought out own, so frustrating for you. Not that its an easy option either...

I would agree find a good riding school that also offers pony days, competitions etc too so they can get involved in that aspect of care and save up for your own. Or put an advert up on FB or somewhere for something else??

Kirstineridesagain

Visit site
I think the difficulty here is you are looking for term time only riding/sharing and lots of people are looking for help all year round. It is not just about paying the money if they need help with exercising and poo picking.

They may need extra sharers to cover the school holidays when your children are away.

However they should always have a slot for you once a week and if that is not available maybe offer you two slots another week. However I expect if they are kids ponies the owners maybe taking their holidays at the same times as you and that might be the times that your children cannot ride.

We wouldn't mind coming twice in a week, however it's hard to find a time when the ponies are free and we are too (and we live 30 minutes away). I don't mind paying when we're away, although a reduced fee would have been better. They don't need extra sharers when we're away as 1. their own children ride the ponies and 2. they have four ponies and multiple sharers - I would guess three or four per pony. They are also multimillionaires.