Kids and share ponies - are we being taken for a ride?

Kirstineridesagain

Visit site
I let the lady know in a respectful and friendly way. No criticism of her or the ponies (although one is acting crazy at the moment, so had to get off and walk it the last times. Our notice period ends in three days. Yet the owner is requesting I pay for the farrier who's coming tomorrow. We last paid the farrier about four-five weeks ago. We won't be using the pony and I can't help but think she's taking the mick. I told her we won't be paying, but she's insisting as we're still in the notice period.

In better news, the new share is working out really well. My daughters can jump, get lots of cantering in without worrying about the pony taking off, loads of off road hacking and we also enjoy riding out together. Flexible days, no paying when away and the owner is so friendly.

Clodagh

Visit site
Just pay for 3 days’ worth of farrier. Definitely way beyond the taking the Mick limit.
This, so if the farrier is £80 say, and shoes last 35 days or thereabouts, then your 3 days will be £6.85 (I think). I also hope as it’s a share you do t pay the whole set so if you pay half it’s £3.40 or whatever.

I'm Dun

Visit site
This, so if the farrier is £80 say, and shoes last 35 days or thereabouts, then your 3 days will be £6.85 (I think). I also hope as it’s a share you do t pay the whole set so if you pay half it’s £3.40 or whatever.

I'd divide it by the number of sharers to be even more petty, and make sure they knew why I'd done that.

ihatework

Visit site

I’d do that (not because I think you should pay anything towards them) but just to make a subtle passive-aggressive point.
Sounds like you are better off out of this situation!

Kirstineridesagain

Visit site
At least I feel confident that we made the right choice in leaving. Now that my children have gone off the ponies anyway, and don't even want to go one last time, I'm feeling done with the whole place. I gave one of the ponies a saddle (that I was given by someone else) and feel like just going up to take it back, as this is obviously how this owner is feeling. I also lent her a showing jacket for her child which I haven't had back yet. I'm not a petty person, but if she wants to be so rigid and so money grabbing, I'm not giving her anything for free.

It was actually four weeks ago exactly the pony had new shoes. Think we've had two rides since. She once told me he needed new shoes every six-eight weeks.

Wishfilly

Visit site
At least I feel confident that we made the right choice in leaving. Now that my children have gone off the ponies anyway, and don't even want to go one last time, I'm feeling done with the whole place. I gave one of the ponies a saddle (that I was given by someone else) and feel like just going up to take it back, as this is obviously how this owner is feeling. I also lent her a showing jacket for her child which I haven't had back yet. I'm not a petty person, but if she wants to be so rigid and so money grabbing, I'm not giving her anything for free.

It was actually four weeks ago exactly the pony had new shoes. Think we've had two rides since. She once told me he needed new shoes every six-eight weeks.

Four weeks is crazy, unless he has lost a shoe or something (and even then I would be questioning the farrier a bit, although the mud at the moment is a killer).

I'd definitely go and take your stuff back, I bet you could get £200+ for your saddle on Facebook!