Kineton Noseband

Emsarr

Visit site
I'm just typing up some old college notes and come across this noseband. I've never seen one used before and had to google to see what it actually looks like.
It has 2 steel hooks attaches to a headpiece with an adjustable strap which goes over the nose, the hooks sit between the bit rings and the horse's mouth. Pressure is brought on to the nose by adjusting the strap that goes across the nose, when used with a jointed snaffle it pinches the mouth and increases the nutcracker action.
I don't really like the look or sound of it and was wondering what other people's views on it are?
Does anyone use them or have done in the past?

search

crabbymare

Visit site
Its a very good noseband if fitted and used correctly on a strong horse as it shifts some pressure to the nose

simplyhunting

Visit site
Excellent piece of kit used correctly, can adjust to how much bit/noseband pressure you want so can be changed to suit each individuals preference.

shergar

Visit site
I had a ex race horse,she was ridden schooled in a french link ,if she went on the gallops or on the beach she had no brakes ,so to be able to gallop I used a Kineton Noseband, hardly used any pressure on the reins and would be back to trot ,far kinder than fighting with her .
I loaned the nose band to a friend with an Arab ,she thought is was that good she went and bought one.

Emsarr

Visit site
How interesting :) I just wasn't sure if it would work and still have a happy horse at the same time, especially as it's something neither I or my OH has come across in the past

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Coming to this a little late but I can add my horse to the list of happy kineton wearers ;) I use it with a waterford if I go xc. I can't control her in anything else but she is polite and balanced in that combination.

I'd rather try something a bit odd that allows me to use a light touch than have a tug of war all the time :) great bit of kit.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
345zyvp.jpg

I used one on mine when we were in situations that made him strong. It was more successful than any bit for keeping him under control.

morrismob

Visit site
Humbugsey, what a fascinating article which I too have saved and will read in more depth tomorrow but thanks for putting it on. I am always confused by bits and shall use this to try and understand more :D

putasocinit

Visit site
It doesnt pinch the sides of the mouth or lift the nutcracker the reins do that. It just puts pressure on the nose hence needs to be placed right otherwise if too low can break the nose around the nostrils. Very good piece of tack.

frozzy

Visit site
Another late to post but I still have one among my kit. It was used on a 13 hands pony show jumping when my tiny but gutsy daughter needed additional brakes. Once she fitted the pony it was no longer used. I also have a similar type of noseband which has a reinforced leather part which is attatched to the noseband with a buckle either side. Never used it but its of the Kineton type. A lot of racers who are strong use them on the way to the start. If anyone has need of a pony sized one I am happy to part with it.

foreverhorses

Visit site
does the micklem bridle work in a similar way? just looked at a picture of one & the noseband looks to be attatched to the bit.Im intrested as would love to have enough brakes to go hunting & wonder if this may help me?