Kineton noseband

frazzled

Visit site
We have been riding our boy in an English hackamore, it has been a revalation, he loves it. He has been XC schooling and sj training in it. Hopefully he will stay as rideable in it at competitions. However if when the adrenalin kicks in at events and he becomes harder to steer in it I am looking for alternatives.
He was ridden in a sprenger universal with a grakle and before that a Mullen mouth Pelham neither of which I was particularly happy with. Was thinking a snaffle with a Kineton might be a useful option if needs be.
He is very wooden in the mouth and sets against the bit hence the search for something that works in a different way. I'm really hoping he stays manageable in the hackamore but I like to be prepared for all eventualities. He cannot be ridden in just a snaffle XC and sj as brakes and steering disappear when he is excited!! We have tried most bits and mouthpieces as my great collection is testament to.

So has anyone one experience of a Kineton and would it be an option in this scenario?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The only way to find out is to try one and see what he says. The kineton works by transferring some of the pressure on the bit to the nose; depends how hard you're willing to pull on the reins I suppose....

Cragrat

Visit site
I use a micklem on mine, and if we are are doing xc, I put the clips on which connect the bit to the noseband, so I guess having a similar effect. It works really well when mine has a 'way hay my dad was a racehorse I'm going to make him proud' moment:)
If I have to take a pull, he listens and comes back to me, but without the clips, he tended to poke my eyes out with his ears and carry on:(

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I used a kineton on my horse when we were doing XC. I tried all sorts of gags, pelhams etc and none were very well accepted. She didn't like having a flash strap, grackle or drop - in fact they were all redundant as she doesn't open her mouth. She just pulls, hard.
I thought the kineton would be effective, as she responds well to me putting my hand on her nose etc if she's lost her manners on the ground.

We settled for the kineton with her usual waterford and it was the perfect solution. I could leave her be until the last moment, then rebalance without a lot of hoiking and then leave her alone again.

Mine was super adjustable, I had it m2m so it was the perfect size for her. You need to play with the tightness and height of the nose band to get a quick effect without needing to pull too much. For me I wanted the effect on the nose to be very quick as millie responded well to it.

frazzled

Visit site
Thanks Milliepops , she sounds similar to ours. He hated a Micklem so unfortunately that is not an option. Think we will try one and see how reacts to it.