King of Diamonds Irish draught

Shortcut

Visit site
Do any of you know anything about this stallion? I have found some stuff on the internet about him and they all say the same thing. I was once told that his off spring are known to have navicular? Is this true?

Has he produced good jumping horses? Any information greatly recieved, I'm just about to aquire an irish gelding with that stallion in his breeding, I'm getting him all the same as I am in love!!! :p

Clodagh

Visit site
Well thats funny but I had heard that my mare wasn't bought by a lady that had her vetted and everything as she heard the navicular story and was worried! I then bought her - the lady that pulled out sent me a copy of the vet report whcih was nice of her.
I think he is best known for his jumpers, you see a lot of them out hunting. Lovely horses usually, easy going and bold.
Edited to say there was no mention of poor feet in the vetting.

Ladylina83

Visit site
I've not come across this Navic story before - just used an ID stallion and did quite a bit of research before hand. It was my understanding that when a breeder advertised a stallion "not from King of Diamonds blood lines" it was due to him being very popular when trying to preserve the breed so there are quite alot of his stock out there - hense you wouldn't want to put a KOD mare to a KOD stallion ie interbreed. But there must be a reason why he has so much stock around ....

This is just my understanding I might be wrong.

Shortcut

Visit site
I have done a bit more research and No website I have found about him mentions any navicular or bone fault, I wonder if this is just a worry?

I don't think people would have used him if this is so? He has alot of stock, and he looked to be a influential stallion to the breed?

no_no_nanette

Visit site
I have never heard any stories about KoD having or passing on navicular - as the OP says, because he appears in so very, very many ID pedigrees, it can be seen as an advantage to have other classic ID stallions in your breeding. The danger otherwise is that the breeding lines become too narrow, and if there are any inheritable risks, they may become exaggerated down through the generations.

King of Diamonds was so widely used as he was himself an outstanding jumper, and consistently threw highly competitive offsping. Even more surprising if you think about the numbers of unregistered/mediocre and poor mares that would have been put to him. He has had an incredibly positive influence on the breeding of Irish Sports Horses, with numerous first and second generation offspring jumping at national and international levels; his son Diamond Lad was also a famous begetter of excellent broodmares who are now rarer than hen's teeth in Ireland and priced accordingly, as I'm finding out!! So all in all, the great KoD is one that you can be very pleased to have in your boy's pedigree!

Shortcut

Visit site
Thanks Rufusbluemoon you have given me some great info! I love this forum, so much interesting stuff popps up
smile.gif

I have never looked up this breed before and I'm finding really interesting!

millitiger

Visit site
lovely horse, lovely jump.

most horses with ID in them now seem to go back to KoD as i think he and his sons have been busy boys!!

most KoD blood now is so dilute that there is a huge variety in type, ability etc in horses with him in their breeding

glenruby

Visit site
Yes as rufusbluemoon has said, KOD was a prolific sire f jumpers, successful stallions and also broodmare sire. Its known to be an excellent jumping line. As has been said, its because he appears inso many pedigrees that breeders state "not from KOD lines" when advertising stock. Ive never heard of him being known to sire horses who develop navicular - despite having seen/ridden/known of hundreds of horses descending from those lines.

Simsar

Visit site
King of Diamonds by Errigal RID Ex Ruby ISH by True boy ISH

KingofDiamonds.jpg

KingofDiamonds-1.jpg

Fantasic sire. He was chestnut colour,bred by the O'neills born in 1962 at the Slyguff stud Co Carlow. Produced by John and Mary Hutchinson of Kilkenney and became a grade A show jumper. Then went back to Slyguff stud where he was a very successful stallion in the 70's and 80's. When he died in 1991 aged 29 he had 34 descendant ID stallions and was the premier sire of show jumpers in Ireland. Never heard the navicular thing though.
grin.gif

Puzzled

Visit site
We have one of his grandaughters (by Candle King). She is his double in looks (quite scary how alike they are!!) She herself jumped to grade A level with us (we bought her as a 2 year old and she'll be 19 next time). We were offered a substantial amount for her week old foal last year by someone desperate to get a filly with KOD lines that was also out of a proven competition mare. Would definately buy another brood mare with KOD lines!
grin.gif

diamondbelle

New User
Visit site
i have had a king of diamonds mare for 12 years she has been and still is the best horse i have ever had she is 18 and still jumps and has never gone lame unless she gets a stone jamed in her foot . not heard or experienced navic problem would have showed up by now i would of thought she is knowen as diamond belle and i am in cornwall

aed

Visit site
Never heard that about the narvucular. Any kngdiaminds i know are keen jumpers and thats what they good at. Too class breeding there. So enjoy your horsey!!!

mybutterfly

Visit site
Robert stevens had the most lovely KoD grandson when I worked for him. Super jump and just the most lovely temperament. He evented to 2* and show jumped to 1.30m. I'd be delighted to have one of his offspring as they seem to combine the best of a temperament to suit amateurs and enough scope for top level

LynH

Visit site
I read somewhere that 16 horses competing at the Sydney Olympics were from KoD lines. They were very popular a few years ago.

gadetra

Visit site
Which socities would he grade with today!!!!!! Also Clover Hill. I'd love tp present a clone of them to the stallion judges of today.........
This ^^^^^^
Really interesting. I often wonder about that.
Also as Simsar says he would not grade as a RID. Makes you wonder about the breeds future. Watching the stallion class at the RDS this year, it is really obvious which you would use to do a job, and which to look good, eg Moylough Bouncer is a fabulous nicer, very athletic, and would producean athletic foal with a variety of job options. He will never place well in the rds. Where as I thought Cassanova, the winner, classy etc. but a bit limited in his movement, and usefulness.
I suppose its the old type v use in this day and age. Gortfee Hero is a nice compromise I think, but he is massive. Grade a jumper, plenty of bone and substance, maybe a bit too much front, but not too rectangular/modern and light. Its the Quiet Man used to win every year he entered, super traditional type, but there is no way i'd use him. I just don't see a job for him, other than showing.
The lack of Tb close up has cost athletiscism, and I know some worry about bone but when you see how light some are, Kec bluejay diamond springs to mind as an example, they can be just as light without it!

Last edited:

Kaylum

Visit site
We had a stallion by his full brother bred by the stud itself. They sure knew what they where doing to get good horses. shorter backed bred for jumping, not the longer type you see today.

SKY

Visit site
2 of my mares are infoal to dancing boy who's sire is clover hill and dancing boy dam is out of king of diamonds.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The lack of Tb close up has cost athletiscism, and I know some worry about bone but when you see how light some are, Kec bluejay diamond springs to mind as an example, they can be just as light without it!

But KEC Bluejay Diamond has King of Diamonds (and therefore TB) on both sides of his pedigree. The TB is pre-potent and any ID with TB in it - even a long way back - will throw much lighter progeny, particularly to IDs who have TB in the first 3-4 generations. It's one of the problems with the 'new' Grade-up register for ID mares.

Some years back I had Kensons Aragorn - who is one of the older RIDs allowed in with a lot of TB - his dam was by a TB, and his sire had a TB 2 generations back, making him more than 30% TB. I used him on 4 RID mares - none of whom had TB in the first 4 generations. But one of the foals was a little miniature TB - 15.2 and not an ID characteristic to her name!

I kept a colt by him - and his progeny all show an extra dash of 'quality' - but so far are much more consistent in type - although a couple out of ID SH mares looks VERY 'quality'!

So we only want a dash of TB in the ID - after all, we don't breed IDs to be TBs under a different breed name!

This is my little pretend ID - not surprisingly, she graded Class 2 - very good marks for conformation and movement, LOUSY marks for 'type'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dXnJ1inu5cA

gadetra

Visit site
But KEC Bluejay Diamond has King of Diamonds (and therefore TB) on both sides of his pedigree. The TB is pre-potent and any ID with TB in it - even a long way back - will throw much lighter progeny, particularly to IDs who have TB in the first 3-4 generations. It's one of the problems with the 'new' Grade-up register for ID mares.

Some years back I had Kensons Aragorn - who is one of the older RIDs allowed in with a lot of TB - his dam was by a TB, and his sire had a TB 2 generations back, making him more than 30% TB. I used him on 4 RID mares - none of whom had TB in the first 4 generations. But one of the foals was a little miniature TB - 15.2 and not an ID characteristic to her name!

I kept a colt by him - and his progeny all show an extra dash of 'quality' - but so far are much more consistent in type - although a couple out of ID SH mares looks VERY 'quality'!

So we only want a dash of TB in the ID - after all, we don't breed IDs to be TBs under a different breed name!

This is my little pretend ID - not surprisingly, she graded Class 2 - very good marks for conformation and movement, LOUSY marks for 'type'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dXnJ1inu5cA

That was my point-the TB gave so much to the ID, that I think has cost the breed in the long term.
As Simsar said KOD would not grade RID today, he would be an ISH. And look what he gave to the breed? Him and a half bred called Clover Hill. What I meant (but put so badly) is that there maybe should be room in the studbook for ID's with a half/three quarter etc. TB in them so long as they conform to bone, type and substance, as KOD and Clover Hill and many many others have. As I said before, I would not go to It's the Quiet Man for movement or athleticism, yet he was a big winner in hand for his traditional type. Moylough Bouncer on the other hand, will not place well, in spite of his fabulous movement and athleticism. Same for Killinick Bouncer. Grange Bouncer himself was a dressage winner. Their animals would appear to have a job, and more suitable for modern sport horse needs. That is not to say abandon type, there are plenty of substantial modern ID's out there. Does that make sense? I may have just rambled on there apologies.

See now I would have that filly in a heartbeat! She is a beaut and a stunning mover. Did they write 'modern' on her grading form? :tongue3: In all seriousness though, put to a buttier stallion she could produce a typier animal, but with the addition of her fabulous movement. Class 1 for me!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
See now I would have that filly in a heartbeat! She is a beaut and a stunning mover. Did they write 'modern' on her grading form? :tongue3: In all seriousness though, put to a buttier stallion she could produce a typier animal, but with the addition of her fabulous movement. Class 1 for me!

Nope - didn't even go for 'modern' - I think it was "Sadly, no Irish Draught characteristics!" And that was about right (and I don't always agree with them.) The only ID characteristic she has is her sweet nature and trainability.

But this is the risk with TB - it DOES take-over so you lose bone and substance which is what ID fans like about the breed. For those who want more TB, the ID sport horse is the answer. It is VERY hard to breed a big pure-bred with bone and substance who can also MOVE. My RID stallion is one of the biggest, with the most bone, AND he is remarkably athletic - but even he struggles to breed the BIG HW hunter types.

ETA - the little bay SHOULDN'T have fallen quite so hard into the TB camp - her dam was by my big boy - out of a full sister to Agherlow!

gadetra

Visit site
Nope - didn't even go for 'modern' - I think it was "Sadly, no Irish Draught characteristics!" And that was about right (and I don't always agree with them.) The only ID characteristic she has is her sweet nature and trainability.

But this is the risk with TB - it DOES take-over so you lose bone and substance which is what ID fans like about the breed. For those who want more TB, the ID sport horse is the answer. It is VERY hard to breed a big pure-bred with bone and substance who can also MOVE. My RID stallion is one of the biggest, with the most bone, AND he is remarkably athletic - but even he struggles to breed the BIG HW hunter types.

ETA - the little bay SHOULDN'T have fallen quite so hard into the TB camp - her dam was by my big boy - out of a full sister to Agherlow!

Sometimes they just don't listen :rolleyes3:

This is a big substantial lad who moves really well:
http://www.irishdraught.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=175&Itemid=352

and this guy impressed me, I had never seen him before:
http://www.horsesportireland.ie/_fi...012/DUNSANDLE DIAMOND result 2012 for web.pdf

I actually prefer a smaller, buttier draught mare, to cross height and blood onto. I think it crosses better that way, although I have the nicest mare I have ever owned who is crossed the other way round (Flagmount King x TB), so what do I know! (very very little in actuality!)

Just re read-that filly is out of a full sister to Agherlow? :eek3: Jesus you don't expect that! On the upside she is fabulous, but a total throw back, in the nicest possible way. Wow though, that is a real surprise

Last edited:

Eothain

Visit site
When the two of the best ID stallions ever, Clover Hill and KOD himself, wouldn't get in as Grade 1 stallions today, you know something is gone pear shaped!!

Irish Draughts ... a type. Not a breed.

The best ID stallion? Sea Crest obviously! Why? Look below ;-)

gadetra

Visit site
I agree with Gadetra, those two are super, but so big! I thought this guy was nice, not too leggy but still moves nicely and for shorties like me he's good and short! http://www.idhba.ie/Harkaway_Lionhawk.html

He was towards the end of the line though which was disappointing. He seemed to have a lovely demeanour too.

Now you see there's a substantial type that can move, and has plenty of quality.
It's strange, I don't mind height in a stallion but I do in a mare :rolleyes3:

gadetra

Visit site
When the two of the best ID stallions ever, Clover Hill and KOD himself, wouldn't get in as Grade 1 stallions today, you know something is gone pear shaped!!

Irish Draughts ... a type. Not a breed.

The best ID stallion? Sea Crest obviously! Why? Look below ;-)

Ha ha ha ha ha Now why would you say that?! When everyone knows you harbour secret old fashioned Irish Draught and continental free ISH breeding dreams :tongue3: