Knee arthroscopy info

BlueSocks

Visit site
Hi everyone, my boy has just had to have an emergency knee arthroscopy after a kick injury. What are your experiences regarding recovery, aftercare and also costs incurred? Many thanks!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
one of mine had a stifle arthroscopy recently and not an emergency, so bit different, but general aftercare from that was 2 weeks in the box until stitches were removed and then reintroduction of controlled exercise. the GA knocked her back a bit. i find they lose their appetites and feel a bit under the weather afterwards so be prepared for that.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
My old mare had the exact same injury. Kick to the knee that perforated the joint and lead to bone chips. This was removed and joint flushed under GA and then 1 week of IV antibiotics. She returned to work and carried on eventing at about 80cm level for a further 10 years. She could've jumped higher but she had another previous injury that involved an operation that limited her a bit.

shortstuff99

Visit site
Cost wise looking at 5K plus. And depending on how it goes a reasonable time on box rest and then field rest. As I was away at the time and had another horse she had the best part of a year or so off.

My 3 year old suffered a hock wound that didn't need an op but twice weekly dressing changes and a week and a half have antibiotics in the hospital and that cost 6k for reference. She needed 3 months box rest but is now completely healed :)

BlueSocks

Visit site
one of mine had a stifle arthroscopy recently and not an emergency, so bit different, but general aftercare from that was 2 weeks in the box until stitches were removed and then reintroduction of controlled exercise. the GA knocked her back a bit. i find they lose their appetites and feel a bit under the weather afterwards so be prepared for that.
Thanks for this, yeah I suppose it's just like humans, GA has more effect than we realise I think. And even more so on the horses x

BlueSocks

Visit site
My old mare had the exact same injury. Kick to the knee that perforated the joint and lead to bone chips. This was removed and joint flushed under GA and then 1 week of IV antibiotics. She returned to work and carried on eventing at about 80cm level for a further 10 years. She could've jumped higher but she had another previous injury that involved an operation that limited her a bit.
This sounds exactly the same so really glad to hear your experience has been positive. He's only a baby (4) so has all his life ahead of him, just hoping for the same outcome x

shortstuff99

Visit site
This sounds exactly the same so really glad to hear your experience has been positive. He's only a baby (4) so has all his life ahead of him, just hoping for the same outcome x
As he is young and still growing they tend to heal a lot better. This happened when my mare was about 17/18 which can take longer to heal.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thanks for this, yeah I suppose it's just like humans, GA has more effect than we realise I think. And even more so on the horses x
yeah because they don't understand what happened to them. I've had 2 that have had GAs now and they have both been quiet and tucked up when i've been able to see them and taken a good few days to start to seem like themselves again.

fingers crossed for a good outcome. at least box rest is less awful at this time of year compared to the summer. Mine is stuck in until the new year but i keep telling her she's not missing much ;)

pistolpete

Visit site
After my boy had a GA he was off colour a long time. If I had to do it again I’d be using probiotics gentle mashes and monitoring gut health really carefully.

BlueSocks

Visit site
After my boy had a GA he was off colour a long time. If I had to do it again I’d be using probiotics gentle mashes and monitoring gut health really carefully.
Luckily this is his general diet anyway, which is good because I shouldn't have to really change it to give him the support he needs. You're right about constant monitoring.