KS & calling it quits - WWYD

KHippo

Visit site
Apologies in advance - this may end up being a bit of a sympathy post as I'm not sure what options I have left, I just feel like writing it all down & getting other opinions might help me make sense of it all...

My mare came to me 2.5 years ago in September 2021 as a 4yo ex-racer, lightly restarted after being turned away following retirement from racing as a 2yo (ran once, too slow). I got her going under saddle, walk trot & canter out hacking & all was well.

Jan 2022 she became explosive. Scoped clear, x-rayed back, mild KS diagnosed & medicated via steroid injections. Rehabbed & brought back into work, progressed slowly over next 6-9 months to the point of fun rides, schooling, local dressage (winning & with lovely comments!), in-hand showing & taking all in her stride even going to Blenheim for an in-hand class. Late summer I started to notice some toe dragging behind...

Oct 2022 X-rayed hocks & feet - Mild arthritic changes in hocks, and NPA behind plus foot balance issues in front. Corrective shoeing begins, NB shoes in front & wedges behind to correct NPA as guided by vet. Hocks not medicated at this stage.

Jan 2023 still toe dragging behind despite changes in shoeing - decided time to see what is really going on, went in for bone scan & full workup. Hotspots C5/C6, knees, KS areas, lame RF & lacking impulsion behind. Re-medicated back with view to re-rehab then do hocks once back in work & we know how much the back injections have helped. Horse came home & lost the plot, complete personality change & difficult to handle. Persevered for a few weeks before deciding to turn away for a month & start again (in hindsight, likely ulcers from stress of being in vets for 4/5 days for bone scan!). Got going again slowly with rehab Apr-June 2023 until somewhat back on track - still toe dragging.

August 2023 medicated hocks & gave Tildren, re-X-rayed feet - a few tweaks to be made. Overall improvement after this from August to November, however then coming up slightly lame in front - vet advised to add front pads which seemed to resolve, vet happy. Going very nicely Nov-Dec, big improvement in canter & general way of going.

January 2024 - Not happy under saddle again. Tense & reactive. At this point she is no longer insured. Workup with new vet & KS re-medicated along with SI. Since then, I have done (yet more) rehab work alongside hacking & hill work, recently started to add a few short schooling sessions (10 mins after a hack to warm up).

As of April 2024 - Some days I get on & she is really tense through her back, like being sat on a plank of wood which is waiting for any excuse to send me into orbit. Other days she feels fine. Most days her tail is swishing so much its like a helicopter. She is girthy and always has been, some days this is better/worse than others. Her canter is awful, shuffley behind & hollow (slightly better when not under saddle but still not right). Trots up with a drop through left pelvis, and always has done - this improves the more school work she does & stronger she gets. To watch schooling under saddle she is the soundest "lame" horse you have ever seen, her movement does not match her vet notes. Most days she has a grumpy face on, and "gurns" whilst waiting for her feeds or to be turned out. She windsucks and cribs, and always has done.

Over winter she was stabled overnight with 12 hours turnout every day, ad-lib hay at all times. Since clocks changed she has been out 24/7 with ad-lib hay. Good do-er & hard feeds are minimal (fast fibre, linseed, healthy hooves chaff & supplements).

At various points during this journey I have tried:-
  • Ron field ulcer supplements (no difference)
  • Liver detox supplements (every 6-8 weeks)
  • Cut out all Soya (still the case)
  • Cut out grass (now on limited grass)
  • Added magnesium (no difference)
  • Added Vit E (no difference)
  • Regular physio, chiro & visits from Osteo vet (ongoing)
  • Regumate (still using)
  • Ekygard (currently using but will stop once finished as no difference)
  • Joint supplements (still using)
  • Hindgut supplements (still using)
  • Regular saddle checks (making some tweaks currently awaiting visit from fitter)
I am financially, physically & emotionally spent 🥺 I have nothing left in the money pot for further investigations. There is no herd turnout available on current yard as the only group she could join has a gelding who she can't be turned out with, so she lives on her own with neighbours in adjoining paddocks which she is happy with. No other yards nearby offer 24/7 herd turnout & also have a school. I've had to electrify her paddock to prevent her damaging the fencing. I cannot in good conscience continue to push her when my gut tells me she is not happy in work currently, but if I throw the towel in I lose all the work I have put in this far with her rehab, and life on individual turnout does not sit right with me if she isn't doing anything. The hacking nearby is rubbish, all byway/bridleway surfaces are like rubble or thick mud. I have no transport. I think her feet are still an issue so I am exploring options there.... This along with pending saddle changes have sort of given me a few boxes I need to tick before I make any immediate decisions regarding her work.

When she feels well in herself, this mare is incredible. She is clever, bold, & a pleasure to be around & produce. She has never been the stereotypical sharp/spooky/buzzy ex racer & has always carried herself in a natural frame with good out/downward stretch & consistent contact. I could ride this horse down a motorway or gallop her across a stubble field then happily put my granny on her to turn around & walk home on the buckle. She will nanny other horses & take the lead past absolutely any terrifying horse-eating obstacle you put in front of her. For these reasons it will break my heart if I have to retire her, but I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment having spent 2.5 years feeling like I am playing whack-a-mole with her issues.

WWYD...? 🤷‍♀️
(If you've made it this far, thank you - pour yourself a gin!)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Would you be happy posting a "conformation" photo of her, both sides ideally? She does sound like there may be something underlying, perhaps some significant issue with pelvic asymmetry or integrity (eg sheared pelvis, common in racehorses I believe, see The Horses Back blog). It's soul destroying going through all that, you have my utter sympathy.

I would urge anyone getting a KS diagnosis to seriously look at it as the result of how the horse moves. Often we really can improve their posture and movement patterns yet most rehab programmes really don't do that. In other cases, a minority I'm sure, the skeleton has significant issues (and I do think these could be getting worse over the years, though hard to tell as we barely used to dissect horses) that aren't going to get fixed by addressing posture and movement.

The saddle is tricky too, horse can change shape SO rapidly, for good and for ill, that even regular saddle checks can miss them, so ideally we need to be ALL over the details.of the saddle fit, be able to shim, or stop riding etc, and that's super hard for almost all owners.

Having been out of horse ownership for years it's hard for me to comment on what to do, but it sounds like options are very limited. She's uncomfortable much of the time by the sound of it, at best, and if she regularly goes hollow then that affects the body long termz the whole issue with movement patterns.

I hope I'm not too premature/inapropriate to say I for one would not blame you if you called it a day.

KHippo

Visit site
Would you be happy posting a "conformation" photo of her, both sides ideally? She does sound like there may be something underlying, perhaps some significant issue with pelvic asymmetry or integrity (eg sheared pelvis, common in racehorses I believe, see The Horses Back blog). It's soul destroying going through all that, you have my utter sympathy.

I would urge anyone getting a KS diagnosis to seriously look at it as the result of how the horse moves. Often we really can improve their posture and movement patterns yet most rehab programmes really don't do that. In other cases, a minority I'm sure, the skeleton has significant issues (and I do think these could be getting worse over the years, though hard to tell as we barely used to dissect horses) that aren't going to get fixed by addressing posture and movement.

The saddle is tricky too, horse can change shape SO rapidly, for good and for ill, that even regular saddle checks can miss them, so ideally we need to be ALL over the details.of the saddle fit, be able to shim, or stop riding etc, and that's super hard for almost all owners.

Having been out of horse ownership for years it's hard for me to comment on what to do, but it sounds like options are very limited. She's uncomfortable much of the time by the sound of it, at best, and if she regularly goes hollow then that affects the body long termz the whole issue with movement patterns.

I hope I'm not too premature/inapropriate to say I for one would not blame you if you called it a day.

Thank you, its been a rough few years albeit with just enough positive for me to keep trying, however this time around I fear we may not get back to what we had previously.

Happy to PM conformation pics if you'd like? Prefer not to post publicly as trying to keep some form of anonymity.

She is in a WOW saddle, so being largely air based rather than flocked its fairly forgiving when it comes to small changes in her shape/muscle tone.

I spend large amounts of time doubting my own judgement, further complicated when numerous people are telling me "she's just being a chestnut mare", or vets telling me "she's sound".

She is field sound & will be with me until the end of her days regardless, even if that means I send her off on full retirement livery somewhere suitable for a period of time.

Birker2020

Visit site
Apologies in advance - this may end up being a bit of a sympathy post as I'm not sure what options I have left, I just feel like writing it all down & getting other opinions might help me make sense of it all...

My mare came to me 2.5 years ago in September 2021 as a 4yo ex-racer, lightly restarted after being turned away following retirement from racing as a 2yo (ran once, too slow). I got her going under saddle, walk trot & canter out hacking & all was well.

Jan 2022 she became explosive. Scoped clear, x-rayed back, mild KS diagnosed & medicated via steroid injections. Rehabbed & brought back into work, progressed slowly over next 6-9 months to the point of fun rides, schooling, local dressage (winning & with lovely comments!), in-hand showing & taking all in her stride even going to Blenheim for an in-hand class. Late summer I started to notice some toe dragging behind...

Oct 2022 X-rayed hocks & feet - Mild arthritic changes in hocks, and NPA behind plus foot balance issues in front. Corrective shoeing begins, NB shoes in front & wedges behind to correct NPA as guided by vet. Hocks not medicated at this stage.

Jan 2023 still toe dragging behind despite changes in shoeing - decided time to see what is really going on, went in for bone scan & full workup. Hotspots C5/C6, knees, KS areas, lame RF & lacking impulsion behind. Re-medicated back with view to re-rehab then do hocks once back in work & we know how much the back injections have helped. Horse came home & lost the plot, complete personality change & difficult to handle. Persevered for a few weeks before deciding to turn away for a month & start again (in hindsight, likely ulcers from stress of being in vets for 4/5 days for bone scan!). Got going again slowly with rehab Apr-June 2023 until somewhat back on track - still toe dragging.

August 2023 medicated hocks & gave Tildren, re-X-rayed feet - a few tweaks to be made. Overall improvement after this from August to November, however then coming up slightly lame in front - vet advised to add front pads which seemed to resolve, vet happy. Going very nicely Nov-Dec, big improvement in canter & general way of going.

January 2024 - Not happy under saddle again. Tense & reactive. At this point she is no longer insured. Workup with new vet & KS re-medicated along with SI. Since then, I have done (yet more) rehab work alongside hacking & hill work, recently started to add a few short schooling sessions (10 mins after a hack to warm up).

As of April 2024 - Some days I get on & she is really tense through her back, like being sat on a plank of wood which is waiting for any excuse to send me into orbit. Other days she feels fine. Most days her tail is swishing so much its like a helicopter. She is girthy and always has been, some days this is better/worse than others. Her canter is awful, shuffley behind & hollow (slightly better when not under saddle but still not right). Trots up with a drop through left pelvis, and always has done - this improves the more school work she does & stronger she gets. To watch schooling under saddle she is the soundest "lame" horse you have ever seen, her movement does not match her vet notes. Most days she has a grumpy face on, and "gurns" whilst waiting for her feeds or to be turned out. She windsucks and cribs, and always has done.

Over winter she was stabled overnight with 12 hours turnout every day, ad-lib hay at all times. Since clocks changed she has been out 24/7 with ad-lib hay. Good do-er & hard feeds are minimal (fast fibre, linseed, healthy hooves chaff & supplements).

At various points during this journey I have tried:-
  • Ron field ulcer supplements (no difference)
  • Liver detox supplements (every 6-8 weeks)
  • Cut out all Soya (still the case)
  • Cut out grass (now on limited grass)
  • Added magnesium (no difference)
  • Added Vit E (no difference)
  • Regular physio, chiro & visits from Osteo vet (ongoing)
  • Regumate (still using)
  • Ekygard (currently using but will stop once finished as no difference)
  • Joint supplements (still using)
  • Hindgut supplements (still using)
  • Regular saddle checks (making some tweaks currently awaiting visit from fitter)
I am financially, physically & emotionally spent 🥺 I have nothing left in the money pot for further investigations. There is no herd turnout available on current yard as the only group she could join has a gelding who she can't be turned out with, so she lives on her own with neighbours in adjoining paddocks which she is happy with. No other yards nearby offer 24/7 herd turnout & also have a school. I've had to electrify her paddock to prevent her damaging the fencing. I cannot in good conscience continue to push her when my gut tells me she is not happy in work currently, but if I throw the towel in I lose all the work I have put in this far with her rehab, and life on individual turnout does not sit right with me if she isn't doing anything. The hacking nearby is rubbish, all byway/bridleway surfaces are like rubble or thick mud. I have no transport. I think her feet are still an issue so I am exploring options there.... This along with pending saddle changes have sort of given me a few boxes I need to tick before I make any immediate decisions regarding her work.

When she feels well in herself, this mare is incredible. She is clever, bold, & a pleasure to be around & produce. She has never been the stereotypical sharp/spooky/buzzy ex racer & has always carried herself in a natural frame with good out/downward stretch & consistent contact. I could ride this horse down a motorway or gallop her across a stubble field then happily put my granny on her to turn around & walk home on the buckle. She will nanny other horses & take the lead past absolutely any terrifying horse-eating obstacle you put in front of her. For these reasons it will break my heart if I have to retire her, but I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment having spent 2.5 years feeling like I am playing whack-a-mole with her issues.

WWYD...? 🤷‍♀️
(If you've made it this far, thank you - pour yourself a gin!)
There is a lot in your post that resonates with me, my horse was retired at 12 years with KS, these were his x-rays. As well as KS he had both chronic and acute SI issues and arthritis in his neck and possible PSD although we never bothered checking in the end. He also had his coffin joints xrayed and had those medicated along with his hocks.

I undertook four months groundwork which changed his shape drastically (see photos), made him stronger throughout his core, I did it religiously six days a week, poles, bungee saddle cloth thing, pessoa, raised poles, scattered poles, labyrinth, walking backwards between parallel poles, the whole 9 yards. He was restarted on three separate occasions by a pro rider and was going great but as soon as she introduced more things like circles instead of riding around the outside of a 65 x 45m school or more collection he would react. His main issues were the SI where his leg/hip would occasionally 'collapse' in trot. This can be indicative of a horse that is weak behind not necessarily SI but he was very sore when palpated and was medicated in the SI region and also the back, twice from memory.

Got him fitted for a new saddle. I started riding him whilst she still rode him three times a week minimum and he started reacting, each time I rode him he got worse and worse (like the unexploded ticking time bomb feeling). I've never sat on a horse in my life who gave me such a feeling that I was about to be thrown into orbit, it was incredibly frightening. And then I did take a nasty fall, I was lucky I didn't hurt myself. He was super reactive, if someone put a wheelbarrow down on the concrete next to the muck heap he'd shy and do a ridiculous spook, he was a nightmare in that respect. He went to sales livery with full disclosure intended (I felt a bit pushed into it if I'm honest, but people meant well) and I was heartbroken. I was delighted/relieved when he came 'home' - he was being naughty with the sales livery guy and went lame with a split hoof. We went to watch him being ridden and every time he was asked for more collection or more impulsion or a leg yield or circle he'd start planting and doing mini rears.

I threw everything at him even getting him scoped for ulcers just in case the KS xrays were just a finding and wasn't anything to do with the issue. He scoped negative. I tried magnesium, I tried ulcer stuff, I tried everything. Nothing worked. In the end it was blood bank, PTS or retirement. Very luckily for him, Mum stepped in and said she would pay for his monthly rent at retirement and I pay for the extras which have been pretty big over winter due to the weather, with constant polutices and many farrier and vet attendance. It is what it is.

He's happy now, we visit twice a week and see him, he has friends, he interacts, he plays, he runs (when the weather allows and its not a mud bath). He's out with 22 other horses in a mixed herd in 40 acres with a stream, hay over night and fed twice daily. He's looked after very well by the YO at retirement. He is 15 now.

My experience with Lari has had a huge effect on my mental health and my wellbeing was really suffering at one point trying to secure his future and avoid having him pts. I was like a walking zombie, kept crying, felt very down, had to go on anti d's in the end because it was such a huge stress and a horrible horrible time.

I'm so sorry about your mare, there is only so much you can do, unfortunately its not just KS you are up against, its all the other things like SI/hocks/PSD.

1713443994811.png1713444107124.png1713444147791.png1713445350108.png

KHippo

Visit site
There is a lot in your post that resonates with me, my horse was retired at 12 years with KS, these were his x-rays. As well as KS he had both chronic and acute SI issues and arthritis in his neck and possible PSD although we never bothered checking in the end. He also had his coffin joints xrayed and had those medicated along with his hocks.

I undertook four months groundwork which changed his shape drastically (see photos), made him stronger throughout his core, I did it religiously six days a week, poles, bungee saddle cloth thing, pessoa, raised poles, scattered poles, labyrinth, walking backwards between parallel poles, the whole 9 yards. He was restarted on three separate occasions by a pro rider and was going great but as soon as she introduced more things like circles instead of riding around the outside of a 65 x 45m school or more collection he would react. His main issues were the SI where his leg/hip would occasionally 'collapse' in trot. This can be indicative of a horse that is weak behind not necessarily SI but he was very sore when palpated and was medicated in the SI region and also the back, twice from memory.

Got him fitted for a new saddle. I started riding him whilst she still rode him three times a week minimum and he started reacting, each time I rode him he got worse and worse (like the unexploded ticking time bomb feeling). I've never sat on a horse in my life who gave me such a feeling that I was about to be thrown into orbit, it was incredibly frightening. And then I did take a nasty fall, I was lucky I didn't hurt myself. He was super reactive, if someone put a wheelbarrow down on the concrete next to the muck heap he'd shy and do a ridiculous spook, he was a nightmare in that respect. He went to sales livery with full disclosure intended (I felt a bit pushed into it if I'm honest, but people meant well) and I was heartbroken. I was delighted/relieved when he came 'home' - he was being naughty with the sales livery guy and went lame with a split hoof. We went to watch him being ridden and every time he was asked for more collection or more impulsion or a leg yield or circle he'd start planting and doing mini rears.

I threw everything at him even getting him scoped for ulcers just in case the KS xrays were just a finding and wasn't anything to do with the issue. He scoped negative. I tried magnesium, I tried ulcer stuff, I tried everything. Nothing worked. In the end it was blood bank, PTS or retirement. Very luckily for him, Mum stepped in and said she would pay for his monthly rent at retirement and I pay for the extras which have been pretty big over winter due to the weather, with constant polutices and many farrier and vet attendance. It is what it is.

He's happy now, we visit twice a week and see him, he has friends, he interacts, he plays, he runs (when the weather allows and its not a mud bath). He's out with 22 other horses in a mixed herd in 40 acres with a stream, hay over night and fed twice daily. He's looked after very well by the YO at retirement. He is 15 now.

My experience with Lari has had a huge effect on my mental health and my wellbeing was really suffering at one point trying to secure his future and avoid having him pts. I was like a walking zombie, kept crying, felt very down, had to go on anti d's in the end because it was such a huge stress and a horrible horrible time.

I'm so sorry about your mare, there is only so much you can do, unfortunately its not just KS you are up against, its all the other things like SI/hocks/PSD.

View attachment 137821View attachment 137822View attachment 137823View attachment 137827

I am so sorry you have been through this. Your post brought me to tears as you are describing my life right now. Its awful but also such a relief hearing I am not the only one having experienced this 😢

The constant rehab is just relentless, working full time whilst having her on DIY & finding the time to simply walk her over some raised poles 10 mins twice a day through the wettest most miserable winter I have known has nearly finished me off. Like you I have tried to cover all bases, pessoa, in-hand work, TRT, BTM & my god this journey has taught me so much and yet made me feel so helpless & stupid at the same time!

I agree that any one of her problems in isolation is probably manageable, but she has so much going against her it seems unlikely I can fix it all.

I am glad to hear your boy is happy & enjoying his retirement, this gives me hope mine can have some kind of future even if unridden. Thank you for responding x

ihatework

Visit site
Blunt, and I don’t mean to be insensitive, but some time towards the end of 2022 I’d have closed the cheque book. Depending on my situation I’d have either retired or pts.

These racehorses are often fooked I’m afraid. Usually with multiple issues. And even with the very best vet and rehab the long term patterns and outcomes are similar.

Btw - I love TBs and think they all deserve a chance outside of racing. Some are completely rock hard soldiers. But if the cracks show, then I’d always cut my losses.

What to do now. Stop spending money and pat yourself on the back for trying so hard.

KHippo

Visit site
Blunt, and I don’t mean to be insensitive, but some time towards the end of 2022 I’d have closed the cheque book. Depending on my situation I’d have either retired or pts.

These racehorses are often fooked I’m afraid. Usually with multiple issues. And even with the very best vet and rehab the long term patterns and outcomes are similar.

Btw - I love TBs and think they all deserve a chance outside of racing. Some are completely rock hard soldiers. But if the cracks show, then I’d always cut my losses.

What to do now. Stop spending money and pat yourself on the back for trying so hard.
Thank you - not insensitive at all, just practical! My head agrees with you especially with the gift of hindsight :confused:

Birker2020

Visit site
I am so sorry you have been through this. Your post brought me to tears as you are describing my life right now. Its awful but also such a relief hearing I am not the only one having experienced this 😢

The constant rehab is just relentless, working full time whilst having her on DIY & finding the time to simply walk her over some raised poles 10 mins twice a day through the wettest most miserable winter I have known has nearly finished me off. Like you I have tried to cover all bases, pessoa, in-hand work, TRT, BTM & my god this journey has taught me so much and yet made me feel so helpless & stupid at the same time!

I agree that any one of her problems in isolation is probably manageable, but she has so much going against her it seems unlikely I can fix it all.

I am glad to hear your boy is happy & enjoying his retirement, this gives me hope mine can have some kind of future even if unridden. Thank you for responding x
No problem, always there if you want to PM for further information or you have any more questions.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Someone like tom beech the osteopathic vet would be good if you wanted a different opinion/view on things , he often has clinics on site with dan wain working on posture/groundwork etc.

As much as it is gutting and very difficult i think i would retire

meleeka

Visit site
Has she had physio or similar? I appreciate you aren’t asking, but for mine a Mctimoney Chiro made a massive difference. He was still retired, mainly because I could
face more rehab, but lived out happily for years.

KHippo

Visit site
Someone like tom beech the osteopathic vet would be good if you wanted a different opinion/view on things , he often has clinics on site with dan wain working on posture/groundwork etc.

As much as it is gutting and very difficult i think i would retire
Thank you, we are actually on Toms 3 monthly visit rota so see him regularly! 🙂

KHippo

Visit site
Has she had physio or similar? I appreciate you aren’t asking, but for mine a Mctimoney Chiro made a massive difference. He was still retired, mainly because I could
face more rehab, but lived out happily for years.
She has. We have physio, chiro, mctimmoney & Tom Beech all on a never ending expensive cycle of bodywork 🙈

Ditchjumper2

Visit site

Agree 100% with this. Not everything is fixable sadly. Tbh I would PTS but that's just me. If retirement is an affordable option then fair enough. You can't blame yourself and have given her every chance.

KHippo

Visit site
Thank you. I know pts would be a perfectly acceptable decision, but it’s not one I could bring myself to make without first giving her a chance at a happy retirement out in a field with some friends somewhere.

Keeping her in work is costing me 3 x more than a decent full retirement livery would, so it’s perfectly doable, but financially would stop me having another. Although after this I feel like I need an emotional break so probably wouldn’t get another for a while anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️

Goldenstar

Visit site
This horse is not go into take work .
You just need to accept that and decide your way forward I love TB’s I have one whose 18 ,away with a friend he was a expensive youngster he cost a fortune at the vets .
He was a excellent hack that’s what I loaned him to do he could not stand up to want I wanted to do .
I am sad you had this experience but you gave her a good home you have nothing beat yourself up about you can’t save them all .

Last edited:

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Sounds like you have tried everything for her and tried to give her every chance. Unfortunately she seems to be unfixable. Given her age, I would normally be tempted to give a year at grass and see how she goes but this "Most days she has a grumpy face on, and "gurns" whilst waiting for her feeds or to be turned out. She windsucks and cribs, and always has done." Pushes me toward PTS as the better option. Though its easier to advise than do.
So sorry 😞

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

This, all day long.

Birker2020

Visit site
He wants me to medicate another part of her back & do another round of foot balance X-rays. He doesn’t seem to think she’s too bad 🤷🏼‍♀️
Like i mentioned in reply 5 the problem with xrays is that they can be quite subjective. You can x-ray 10 horse, eight might show changes on x-ray but only one might be affected by the findings.
This is why I went down the ulcer route and also down the magnesium route (possible PSSM angle). This winter has been very hard on my retiree due to the weather and it being his first winter. But in all honesty if he doesn't start to pick up now the weather has got better then I will pts before the Winter. They were put onto summer grazing last night so I'm hoping to see great improvement in weight at least and movement when the ground is normal again. I can't really see him moving much at the moment because all the fields are water logged so he doesn't do much just wade through all the mud.

If you do retire I'd make sure its somewhere you can visit to keep an eye and regularly evaluate.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
At the risk of sounding controversial make sure OP that she is happy being retired. One of my hunters didn't do retired he was miserable so was PTS. You are not duty bound to offer a life of assumed idyllic retirement in grassy fields in a herd. It doesn't work for all, so don't feel you "have" to, please ok? It generally also involves less direct contact so potentially small changes of becoming unhappy could be missed. Not because you dont care but because its life and what happens thats all x

You horse and your decision just do what's best for her and you. 😊

TheMule

Visit site
Goodness… you have thrown absolutely everything at her, she clearly is not going to stand up to work, it would be unethical to work her with all of that going on.
If you think she can live comfortably out on retirement and you have the means to fund it then ok, it wouldn’t be the choice I would make, but I know it's easy to get very attached and sentimental. Objectively, she does sound in a significant degree of constant pain

SusieT

Visit site
Has she been scoped? Just didn't see it there.
I think a couple of years turned away would be a nice idea- it doesn't sound like rehab is helping and one wonders if time decompressing totally would be a solution to let her live a happy life?

KHippo

Visit site
Has she been scoped? Just didn't see it there.
I think a couple of years turned away would be a nice idea- it doesn't sound like rehab is helping and one wonders if time decompressing totally would be a solution to let her live a happy life?
Yes scoped at the beginning of everything which was clear. I’m aware this doesn’t necessarily mean she is clear now, but I don’t have the funds to either scope or treat at this stage.

KHippo

Visit site
At the risk of sounding controversial make sure OP that she is happy being retired. One of my hunters didn't do retired he was miserable so was PTS. You are not duty bound to offer a life of assumed idyllic retirement in grassy fields in a herd. It doesn't work for all, so don't feel you "have" to, please ok? It generally also involves less direct contact so potentially small changes of becoming unhappy could be missed. Not because you dont care but because its life and what happens thats all x

You horse and your decision just do what's best for her and you. 😊
I agree, it’s something I won’t know until I try it. She gets bored out of work in her current setup but it’s far from inspiring & this is why I’d look to send her away rather than retire her here.

Clodagh

Visit site
I agree, it’s something I won’t know until I try it. She gets bored out of work in her current setup but it’s far from inspiring & this is why I’d look to send her away rather than retire her here.
I personally would not send to retirement livery. I’m surrounded here and the horses are very well looked after but it is so wet now, they’ve been rained on and standing in mud for 6 months. The hairies look ok, just fed up, but I hate seeing tbs standing in hock deep mud with cold wet ears. They are rugged when needed, and in good body condition, the fields are sheltered but it’s not much of a life. And how do you absolutely know they don’t ache all the time?

KHippo

Visit site
I personally would not send to retirement livery. I’m surrounded here and the horses are very well looked after but it is so wet now, they’ve been rained on and standing in mud for 6 months. The hairies look ok, just fed up, but I hate seeing tbs standing in hock deep mud with cold wet ears. They are rugged when needed, and in good body condition, the fields are sheltered but it’s not much of a life. And how do you absolutely know they don’t ache all the time?
I agree that sounds miserable, & the place I have in mind has a very good winter setup with shelter. She certainly wouldn’t be sent off to stand in a bog for 6 months of the year & it’s close enough that I’d be visiting regularly.