KS & calling it quits - WWYD

TheMule

Visit site
I personally would not send to retirement livery. I’m surrounded here and the horses are very well looked after but it is so wet now, they’ve been rained on and standing in mud for 6 months. The hairies look ok, just fed up, but I hate seeing tbs standing in hock deep mud with cold wet ears. They are rugged when needed, and in good body condition, the fields are sheltered but it’s not much of a life. And how do you absolutely know they don’t ache all the time?

That’s just a poor set up- overstocked fields, clearly not managed properly.
Not all retirement livery yards are like that!

Birker2020

Visit site
I personally would not send to retirement livery. I’m surrounded here and the horses are very well looked after but it is so wet now, they’ve been rained on and standing in mud for 6 months. The hairies look ok, just fed up, but I hate seeing tbs standing in hock deep mud with cold wet ears. They are rugged when needed, and in good body condition, the fields are sheltered but it’s not much of a life. And how do you absolutely know they don’t ache all the time?
You don't but when the weather picks up and the sun is out and they start putting on weight that is your best indication.
I'm in the same situation, you just have to see if the summer makes them bloom, its been a winter with abscesses, weight loss, hair loss and mud fever. Rubbish.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Can you not find some grass livery local and see how she gets on through the summer until you decide on retirement livery.

A bit of a cheaper option if you suspect ulcers getting some treatment from Abler and putting her on that for a month.

I know it illegal and alot of people are against it but sometimes it's the only way for some situations.

You have spent so much already I don't think anyone would think badly of you.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I would have put this horse down a long time ago. Not everything can be fixed, and some treatments are not worth doing.

I agree I’m afraid. And unless you have a bottomless pit of money to pay for retirement livery it’s not an option I’d choose.

Agree with these comments.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Has she been scoped? Just didn't see it there.
I think a couple of years turned away would be a nice idea- it doesn't sound like rehab is helping and one wonders if time decompressing totally would be a solution to let her live a happy life?

This is what I would suggest. As in "retire" but see if things have changed after 12 months/2 years.

KHippo

Visit site
Can you not find some grass livery local and see how she gets on through the summer until you decide on retirement livery.

A bit of a cheaper option if you suspect ulcers getting some treatment from Abler and putting her on that for a month.

I know it illegal and alot of people are against it but sometimes it's the only way for some situations.

You have spent so much already I don't think anyone would think badly of you.
There’s nowhere local unfortunately, current yard is pretty much the only facility within 30 minutes drive which still offers 24/7 turnout, hardly any offer group turnout it’s all individual & for limited hours.

I have looked at abler & would consider, but again, its a few hundred £ which I’m currently needing to spend elsewhere on her “regular” outgoings 🤦🏼‍♀️

Clodagh

Visit site
That’s just a poor set up- overstocked fields, clearly not managed properly.
Not all retirement livery yards are like that!
It’s really not, the fields are lightly stocked, 2 or three to a paddock generally. But it has been an incredibly long wet winter down here and feeding and haying in a field means mud is inevitable.

Clodagh

Visit site
You don't but when the weather picks up and the sun is out and they start putting on weight that is your best indication.
I'm in the same situation, you just have to see if the summer makes them bloom, its been a winter with abscesses, weight loss, hair loss and mud fever. Rubbish.
I couldn’t keep a wet, lame (be it reason for its retirement or mud fever and abscesses) out over winter in order for it to enjoy hard ground and flies all summer.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I couldn’t keep a wet, lame (be it reason for its retirement or mud fever and abscesses) out over winter in order for it to enjoy hard ground and flies all summer.
This.

I’ve got three happy pasture ornaments, all of whom have had in the past various veterinary interventions ranging from relatively minor to extensive to keep them as happy pasture ornaments.

If any of them had had to endure a winter of abscesses, weight loss, hair loss and mud fever they’d be gone. That would be a miserable existence.

I get it that last winter was exceptionally wet making turnout difficult in many parts of the country, but that is no excuse to keep an uncomfortable horse going.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’ve been here OP and could have written this post myself about 8 or 9 years ago.

I eventually PTS my 7 yo OTTB as she was an insurance write off and I was emotionally and financially drained, so I feel your predicament.

What swung it for me was that she was thoroughly depressed and had gotten nasty (previously wonderful temperament).

If you are able to, and she’s happy in herself, I’d turn away for 12 months and see where you’re at. If you’re hoping for anything other than a light hack though, I think I’d call it a day now. It really sucks without a doubt.

KHippo

Visit site
I’ve been here OP and could have written this post myself about 8 or 9 years ago.

I eventually PTS my 7 yo OTTB as she was an insurance write off and I was emotionally and financially drained, so I feel your predicament.

What swung it for me was that she was thoroughly depressed and had gotten nasty (previously wonderful temperament).

If you are able to, and she’s happy in herself, I’d turn away for 12 months and see where you’re at. If you’re hoping for anything other than a light hack though, I think I’d call it a day now. It really sucks without a doubt.
Thank you. I’m sorry about your mare.

If she can manage a bit of gentle hacking then great. She’s sensitive enough that her current ridden “feel” could simply be a result of being overdue a physio session & needing a saddle check. This has been the case before.

Otherwise I’d be keen to see if the change of management going onto retirement (having space, grass, friends & no pressure) will eliminate some of her behavioural quirks which are currently assumed to be discomfort. If not then I’ll have my unfortunate answer.

TheMule

Visit site
It’s really not, the fields are lightly stocked, 2 or three to a paddock generally. But it has been an incredibly long wet winter down here and feeding and haying in a field means mud is inevitable.

It has been a long, wet winter for all of us.
My horses live out and get fed and hayed. I have had minimal mud, and where they eat hay is surfaced so they never stand in mud.
It’s basic management, and should be the norm.

Reactions: SEL

Bernster

Visit site
Similar situation to my mare. We had 3 diagnosis over 3 years, ks, hocks and navicular. She wasn’t as bad as yours sound though and she did come good each time but after the 3rd one I felt it was enough. I was drained, she’d gone through 3 rounds of rehab and treatment. I turned her away for a year. It took her a while to settle but she seems field happy. She ended up staying there and still is. Never been so well haha. She gets a little bit of work now and again but she’s just not up to doing a lot of ridden work.

Retirement if she’s suitable, or PTS, are fair options imo.

Sorry for you and for her x

lynz88

Visit site
This sounds vaguely familiar. Mine is a teetering jenga tower but still happy in himself and seems to still like to work, however 'light' that may be. OP, I really feel for you as I thought I was going to be making what I felt to be a selfish decision about 1.5 months ago ... retire and have no more horses as I can't afford 2 or PTS so that I could have a horse.

I think, for me, if the horse is grumpy the majority of the time and given the number of issues, I would be considering PTS rather than retirement. If the horse was still happy the majority of the time, then it becomes a much harder decision. But then again, I like to take my cue from the horse (but of course finances may be the breaker). Some may disagree with this approach.