Lack of control

Follysmum

Visit site
We have a 13yr lab who for the last 6mths or so has significantly slowed down in life . He is on Youmove tablets and is moving much better and not struggling to get up now as he was before the tablets.

My concerns are he doesn’t always know when he needs the toilet for a number 2. His tail comes up but he will often just lay there and do it. The vet just says” oh well he’s getting old”
things aren’t working as well as they should. He is ok to to Piddle and hasn’t had any accidents there. He is such a clean dog I feel so sorry for him but he doesn’t know he’s done it half the time. Is this connected to doggie dementia? Any feedback would be appreciated.

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve only had two dogs that developed incontinence in old age and they both hated it as they were always previously exceptionally clean in the house.

For me it was the signal to PTS on that basis for them, I knew their time had come. In this case too I would be worried about quality of life if the dog doesn’t even know when he is having a poo.

Nettle123

Visit site
Our elderly lab started to do this. He didn't know he had done it and I had to be quick with the tidy up as he used to wag his tail!. It was manageable but 6 months later his back legs started to go so it was time for the decision.

{97702}

Visit site
Agree it sounds like DM/loss of feeling in back end, it doesn't cause pain but the D stands for degenerative, it moves up the body eventually. I'd maybe think about changing vet, most dogs find soiling themselves quite distressing. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Sorry yes that’s a good point - I would also look to change vet! It is a difficult call if they aren’t in pain, I do realise that - my two made my decision “easier” if such a thing can be said because they were so obviously distressed and unhappy by it ?

Follysmum

Visit site
Agree with what everyone says. My vet has been more than useless and of no help. The day he feels distressed or unhappy will be the day we do the right thing for him. I would never let him suffer. We have not long lost one tragically so it’s heartbreaking knowing we will soon have to make the decision.
Thanks for everyone’s replies

Follysmum

Visit site
Do his rear feet ever knuckle over or scuff the floor?

Wood floors are great for cleanliness but runners/mats will really help him to gain traction.

We have rugs and mats scattered around but generally gets up straight away and pretty easy now even on the oak floors . The tablets have really helped him.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My friend's Tibetan Mastiff has started this. She is 14 so a good age for her breed. Apart from being a bit creaky and a little bit away with the fairies she is in pretty good heath but has just started doing number two's while just lying on her bed. Fortunately solid ones so easy to clean up. She did one one day having just come back from a walk and lying down on a clean bed. My friend scolded her and for a couple of days she was clean but has now reverted. She is a very dignified dog and is totally unconcerned with what is happening fortunately. My friend is dreading losing her as she is her emotional support dog and has seen her through some very bad times. So hard when they get old.

angrybird1

Visit site
Although some dogs do get distressed by messing in the house it's more often our reaction to It they are reading if you just clear it up with no fuss and don't make a bit deal of it they usually wont. It's a bit like people saying they feel guilt when the owner come home to find they have chewed the sofa. It's your body language they read. Dogs don't feel guilt. Sadly it will get worse as time goes by but it's not a immediate death sentence. It depends on the dog and on you.

angrybird1

Visit site
My friend's Tibetan Mastiff has started this. She is 14 so a good age for her breed. Apart from being a bit creaky and a little bit away with the fairies she is in pretty good heath but has just started doing number two's while just lying on her bed. Fortunately solid ones so easy to clean up. She did one one day having just come back from a walk and lying down on a clean bed. My friend scolded her and for a couple of days she was clean but has now reverted. She is a very dignified dog and is totally unconcerned with what is happening fortunately. My friend is dreading losing her as she is her emotional support dog and has seen her through some very bad times. So hard when they get old.
The dog shouldn't be scolded for something it cant help!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My old boy started with this aged nearly 16. He had difficulty getting up, his back end just lost all power. It was quite a short period before he was pts, he wasn’t aware of the poo, but being lifted was either painful, frustrating, upsetting for him, he’d growl. It’s a horrible decision but something I didn’t want to prolong.

angrybird1

Visit site
Seeing as how I’m the only person on this thread who has commented that my dogs hated being unclean in the house - and that I had them PTS shortly afterwards - it’s kind of hard not to take this post personally however much I’m trying not to.

I don’t need to justify myself or my actions to anyone on an online forum, but anyone who reads my AAD posts will know that my dogs mean more to me than anything.

So for the record, for those of you who don’t know me at all but may feel you have the right to judge somehow, I never EVER scold or reprimand my dogs in any way when they aren’t clean in the house - it isn’t their fault.

And incontinence was ONE FACTOR in the overall picture of my dogs health and quality of life when I made my decision to PTS, so no incontinence on its own is not “an immediate death sentence”

Damn right I am fliping furious by the way - insult me and criticise me all you like, I couldn’t care less, but don’t you dare ever insinuate that I don’t always put my dogs and their quality of life first
For your information I wasnt replying to you. I have no idea about you or your dogs. Like it or not dogs read body language. You can be as furious as you like and believe me if I had been replying to you I would have made it clear.
Get over your self.

angrybird1

Visit site
Also you are not the only person who said your dog hated messing in the house. If you are going to accuse me of things at least get your facts straight.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
The dog shouldn't be scolded for something it cant help!
It was a one off. That dog has the best treatment possible. I don't know anyone who keeps their dogs to a higher standard or cares more about them. I can assure you the dog was not the least bit browbeaten or upset. The fact that she stayed clean for a couple of days does make it appear that she knew full well what she was doing. Her owner knows full well that you don't scold dogs for what they can't help, that was why she was telling me about having done it and was ashamed of it. That dog is more important to her than family what little she has of it and I dread the day she loses her as she will fall apart big time.

{97702}

Visit site
For your information I wasnt replying to you. I have no idea about you or your dogs. Like it or not dogs read body language. You can be as furious as you like and believe me if I had been replying to you I would have made it clear.
Get over your self.

I think I have rather more experience of dogs than you do and I know perfectly well they can read body language! I would expect nothing less than thoughtless crass tactlessness from you, so it’s hardly surprising you don’t even acknowledge or apologise for the implications of what you have said - ignorance in its purest form

angrybird1

Visit site
I think I have rather more experience of dogs than you do and I know perfectly well they can read body language! I would expect nothing less than thoughtless crass tactlessness from you, so it’s hardly surprising you don’t even acknowledge or apologise for the implications of what you have said - ignorance in its purest form
I'm glad you think you have more experience of dogs than me. I really doubt it. However I don't feel the need to apologise for something I haven't done. You choose to take a remark not even made to you personally. Grow up.

Moobli

Visit site
Agree with what everyone says. My vet has been more than useless and of no help. The day he feels distressed or unhappy will be the day we do the right thing for him. I would never let him suffer. We have not long lost one tragically so it’s heartbreaking knowing we will soon have to make the decision.
Thanks for everyone’s replies

So sorry, it’s heartbreaking ?

angrybird1

Visit site
Actually, I'm now pretty furious. I'm accused of upseting someone who I wasn't even replying too!
Read my post again along with the rest of the thread!
Nothing I put was in any way aimed at you.
we all make decisions on what's right for our own dogs. Get your facts straight before accusing me.
How dare you. I'd ask for a apology but I doubt id get one.

angrybird1

Visit site
Lets make this simple just so you understand it.
I . Was Not. Replying. To. You.
You may think you are the most important person on here. You may think you know everything but strange as it may seem to you I was replying to the person who started the thread.
Had I been replying to you I would have made it clear.
I have no idea about you or your dogs or when you decide to put to sleep. If you read my post it clearly says some dogs get distressed. If and when you decide to put to sleep your dogs is completely your choice.
you have made a big mistake here. Once again just to be clear I was not replying to you. I am not going over this again. You owe me a apology.

{97702}

Visit site
Lets make this simple just so you understand it.
I . Was Not. Replying. To. You.
You may think you are the most important person on here. You may think you know everything but strange as it may seem to you I was replying to the person who started the thread.
Had I been replying to you I would have made it clear.
I have no idea about you or your dogs or when you decide to put to sleep. If you read my post it clearly says some dogs get distressed. If and when you decide to put to sleep your dogs is completely your choice.
you have made a big mistake here. Once again just to be clear I was not replying to you. I am not going over this again. You owe me a apology.

Let’s be clear - no, I do not owe you any apology.

You made a tactless and spectacularly insensitive post that specifically mentioned two things that only I had mentioned in a post, therefore it was logical human nature that I would assume those related to my post. I replied accordingly.

I would suggest you take some time to make your posts clearer if, as you claim, your intention was not to refer to my post and you ‘just happened’ to mention those two points which only I had referenced in the thread ?

angrybird1

Visit site
Let’s be clear - no, I do not owe you any apology.

You made a tactless and spectacularly insensitive post that specifically mentioned two things that only I had mentioned in a post, therefore it was logical human nature that I would assume those related to my post. I replied accordingly.

I would suggest you take some time to make your posts clearer if, as you claim, your intention was not to refer to my post and you ‘just happened’ to mention those two points which only I had referenced in the thread ?
You do owe me a apology I'm afraid.
It was not tactless or insensitive it was a genuine reply to the original posters question. How you took that is in fact your problem. In fact I could argue that it's you who was insensitive.
I'm not going on with this. It's stupid and childish. I suggest tomorrow you read through your posts and see what you think then.

{97702}

Visit site
You do owe me a apology I'm afraid.
It was not tactless or insensitive it was a genuine reply to the original posters question. How you took that is in fact your problem. In fact I could argue that it's you who was insensitive.
I'm not going on with this. It's stupid and childish. I suggest tomorrow you read through your posts and see what you think then.

It is indeed, I have rarely encountered someone with such a child like inability to understand the consequences of their actions even when they are clearly pointed out to them. I’ll happily read my posts tomorrow, and I will feel exactly the same way thanks ?

angrybird1

Visit site
Fine, you are right. Have it your way. I'm just sorry for the Op who had her thread over taken by you and the massive chip on your shoulder that everything is about you.
I replied because I have considerable experience of dogs with Dm. My post was for her benefit and comes from experience. It was honestly and genuinely not aimed at you.
I still think you owe me a apology but I'm clearly not going to get one.
The only thing that surprises me is the rest of the " pack" haven't joined in.