Laminitis set back :-(

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I'm struggling to knwo what to do for best!
Pony is in a big field, old grazing, marshy at the bottom. 2 large horses, 3 ponies on about 10 acres.

Old pony has laminitus, was fine after a week on box rest but has been on and off the last week. I cant find pulses and feet don't feel overly warm considering they are black and he has been standing in the sun, he is not unhappy grazing, but is walking too much or on the stoney path from the field. He is 21 and going to get him retested for Cushings despite being negative before. He had no fluffy coat, but is a funny shape. Other is fat. All the other fields are new grazing, so more dangerous than this.
I cant go up more than once a day so cant use a muzzle - well we tried but they both just ripped them off.

Would sectioning off an area of the old grazing work you think? I don't think it would as surely that will mean shorter sweeter grass?

I keep veering to PTS, but I can't decide if I am being overly dramatic or not? I personally think he should go reasonably happy.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Can you put a track up round the edge of the field?/some of the field? (not sure how it is split up).

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
My horse is on 2 hrs turnout with 2 hrs off in between each hour, even then he has a small pulse at the end of the day.

I have tried lami prone which did nothing and laminator is really only for when the blood flow is compromised further down the track. Has anyone found a lami preventative supplement which works???

We just had another diagnosed on the boarders of Lami today

be positive

Visit site
My horse is on 2 hrs turnout with 2 hrs off in between each hour, even then he has a small pulse at the end of the day.

I have tried lami prone which did nothing and laminator is really only for when the blood flow is compromised further down the track. Has anyone found a lami preventative supplement which works???

We just had another diagnosed on the boarders of Lami today

The best preventative is management, there is no magic bullet that will allow them to eat grass if prone to laminitis and prevent them getting it, restrict grass, ideally turn out on unimproved pasture and avoid fertilising it unless you take a crop off then graze afterwards, keep them slim, fit and well exercised with soaked hay when in and low sugar and starch feeds if they have to have something.

I was carefully monitoring a few of mine but they seem to be fine despite getting a little tubbier than ideal, they are mainly out 24/7, apart from 2 that just don't know the meaning of the words "stop eating it will not run out" who come in at night to soaked hay, none get fed except the PSSM mare who has a token feed for her supplements each day.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Recent thinking is pointing towards a fatty crest as being the most dangerous (and obvious) place and a reliable indicator of metabolic issues. It is also damned near impossible to get rid of. Once EMS is diagnosed you are effectively dealing with diabetes (insulin resistance) and if the Cushing's is causing cortisol to be dumped into the system, I'm at a loss to understand how it can be controlled effectively enough to prevent laminitis flaring up. I say 'flaring up' as once laminitis is chronic it's there for good, just waiting for a trigger.

I'm with ester on this one and there is no shame in calling it a day. We 'inherited' Cushing's and EMS in a pony (see my avatar) and being in the days before all this extra knowledge was available, carried on far too long - fighting a moving target.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
The best preventative is management, there is no magic bullet that will allow them to eat grass if prone to laminitis and prevent them getting it, restrict grass, ideally turn out on unimproved pasture and avoid fertilising it unless you take a crop off then graze afterwards, keep them slim, fit and well exercised with soaked hay when in and low sugar and starch feeds if they have to have something.

I was carefully monitoring a few of mine but they seem to be fine despite getting a little tubbier than ideal, they are mainly out 24/7, apart from 2 that just don't know the meaning of the words "stop eating it will not run out" who come in at night to soaked hay, none get fed except the PSSM mare who has a token feed for her supplements each day.

the pasture has been heavily grazed by the rest of the yard and vet happy with the turnout. Horse is off work due to injury and is currently and has been on 24 hr soaked hay and only 1/2 scoop low molasses lami safe chaff x 2 a day. 9lbs hay totally 2 hrs grazing with 2 hrs between the each hour

RubysGold

Visit site
The blood results show that her acth levels are normal. so that is a good thing at least.
I asked about the insulin test and she doesn't want to do that at the moment :S

She thinks putting Roo in the small paddock was what tipped her over, so she wants her to go in the big field with the long grass. For now, Im just in hand grazing her in the mornings. If we don't get anywhere between now and July, then I will ask again for the insulin test. But I don't feel Im in a position to challenge a vet as they know more then me

I haven't bought the laminitis app up to now because I just thought it will be high risk all summer. But I will buy it and give it a go :)

The vet suggested I put her on farriers formula. or Formula 4 feet. Which sounds a pretty sensible idea, as she is probably missing out on some nutrients that she needs. Quite tempted by the Topspec Antilam as well, but don't want to start throwing everything at her. My farrier is here on Monday so I will get his opinion as well

JillA

Visit site
Forageplus sell minerals without any fillers etc, their generic one is based on average mineral test samples across the country - you need biotin and zinc at least but beware of iron content., it's always worth reading labels. And if you are going to put her on a bigger field of longer grass (eeek, I wouldn't) look at Safergrass, there is a lot of information on which grasses are likely to be high in sugars http://www.safergrass.org/

BlackVelvet

Visit site
I'm abit confused by your vets advice tbh, i would not be putting a horse with laminitis in a field with loads of grass, screams disaster, your horse also does sound like an EMS horse, which will struggle to recover without medication and very careful management.

The app tends to show high risk when its been warm or had alot of rain, I would say that its a good warning and guide for you.

I didn't bother with farriers formula as my horse had rock solid feet and we completely cut hard feed out as he didn't need it!

Could you possibly get the advice from another vet? Your vet doesn't seem to be reassuring you or helping you at the moment!

RubysGold

Visit site
The reason she wants her in the other field is because she says there is less sugar in the long grass. Also she will be more able to leave the clover which apparently they don't want to eat really.
With the grass being that long she won't be able to eat tons because it will be hard to get through the muzzle.

budatiger

Visit site
In your position, I would politely request that she is tested for insulin resistance. At least then you will know better what you are, or aren't, dealing with.

Auslander

Visit site
We are in a similar situation, with a mare who had an acute laminitic episode out of the blue back in January. She's still on pen rest, so not quiet as far down the roadto recovery as yours. We also had a vet who was treating the symptoms, but not giving any thought to the cause. He was reluctant to test for insulin resistance, despite repeated requests, so we changed vets! Still none the wiser as to what caused the laminitis, but at least we've now done all we can to rule out metabolic issues.

JillA

Visit site
TBH most of the available tests are far from 100% reliable anyway, so I would treat with diet, exercise etc as though they are, from now on for the future. Unlike PPID where pergolide will really help, appropriate management can't do any harm and might very well make all the difference - over 80% of laminitis episodes have been found to be due to metabolic issues so unless they were grossly obese I think that is probably what you are left with.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
No one suggested they were a 100% reliable but there is more than one so you can get a better picture and they are still far better than rummaging around in the dark with a horse that still looks very metabolic and is struggling with any grass consumption 6 months down the line despite having already lost a fair amount of weight. That is not normal if the PPID is well controlled, something is else is wrong.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
The blood results show that her acth levels are normal. so that is a good thing at least.
I asked about the insulin test and she doesn't want to do that at the moment :S

She thinks putting Roo in the small paddock was what tipped her over, so she wants her to go in the big field with the long grass. For now, Im just in hand grazing her in the mornings. If we don't get anywhere between now and July, then I will ask again for the insulin test. But I don't feel Im in a position to challenge a vet as they know more then me

I haven't bought the laminitis app up to now because I just thought it will be high risk all summer. But I will buy it and give it a go :)

The vet suggested I put her on farriers formula. or Formula 4 feet. Which sounds a pretty sensible idea, as she is probably missing out on some nutrients that she needs. Quite tempted by the Topspec Antilam as well, but don't want to start throwing everything at her. My farrier is here on Monday so I will get his opinion as well

We had one who tested normal for ACTH levels but had all the signs for Cushings. We did the TRH test and it came back high, so she then went on Prascend.

If you still think your pony could have Cushings it might be worth asking vet about further testing?