Laminitis :-(

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Nobody ever likes my laminitis advice because it runs counter to everything we're fed about it, but here's what I've learnt and you can take it or leave it:

1 - Starvation makes things worse. I found this out from my own weight-control history, tried it out on the horses (and my oxen, incidentally, which suffer the same problems) and it worked. If they are not getting truly, properly FED (as in, nutrition not bagged feed) it makes their bodies desperate which encourages gorging and it triggers imbalances, leading to point 2. What they need is an ad-lib supply of either healthy (not short and stressed) native (No ryegrass), unfertilised pasture or the same but in hay form. It's really essential they never run out and get hungry during the critical times of year.

2 - minerals, minerals, minerals (and salt). IME, most things come back to imbalances. I see it as vital that anything in danger of lami has free access to salt and minerals, really good minerals, not the blocks with only a handful of things in. I use a dried seaweed supplement, and sprinkle a general purpose vitamin mix on it aswell so everything's available.

3 - painkillers encourage movement and therefore damage. Might sound mean, but the pain mechanism of lami makes them lie down and resist damaging their feet so they recover quicker. On the plus side what you save in vet bills and whacky feeds you can devote to getting them more of the right grass and hay and minerals!

4 - Let them lose weight in winter. It's natural. Same ad lib hay system, no extra feeding (unless they end up like skeletons, but that's unlikely unless they're ill!). Then there's leeway come spring.

5 - space to move. it's kind of a by-product of giving them enough grass to keep it healthy and not stressed anyway, but it's important to keep them fit and active obviously and they will do this happily by themselves in this scenario.

I've rehabbed the fattest equine I ever saw in the flesh this way without any extra exercise. When I got a mule, I suddenly got paranoid and threw all this out of the window and locked them up in a starvation paddock for spring. they both ballooned and the shetland got lami. In horror I went back to my old regime and in the space of a few months they had slimmed right back down and are both normal and perfectly happy again. Good luck!

I agree with yoj entirely, my mare has successfully lived out 24/7 now laminitic free for 10 years or so after years of problems, keeping her stabled, muzzled and special shoes. She is not muzzled and is barefoot, trimmed every 8 to 10 weeks. She lives with two other horses and three minis on about 14 acres over winter but is sectioned over summer. She does lose a lit of weight over winter but notvto ghe extent that she looks poor. She is rising 23 and is gappuer and healthier now than she ever was geing stabled, frd hard feed and shod..

RubysGold

Visit site
Yesterday my farrier and vet visited at the same time
The vet was amazed at how much the oedema has gone down and said she can count on one hand the number of horses she's seen with that much oedema
They asked me to walk her across the yard, she was obviously worried the first few steps but then realised it was ok and walked quite well :) Still sore in the turn but that's OK
From today onwards she will be walking just to the end of the yard and back, slowly building it up :-D
Farrier and vet will both be out in four weeks and hopefully we will then introduce grass

Her feet stink though, so the farrier has only padded up her worst foot and left the other one so I can spray it to stop the thrush

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Yesterday my farrier and vet visited at the same time
The vet was amazed at how much the oedema has gone down and said she can count on one hand the number of horses she's seen with that much oedema
They asked me to walk her across the yard, she was obviously worried the first few steps but then realised it was ok and walked quite well :) Still sore in the turn but that's OK
From today onwards she will be walking just to the end of the yard and back, slowly building it up :-D
Farrier and vet will both be out in four weeks and hopefully we will then introduce grass

Her feet stink though, so the farrier has only padded up her worst foot and left the other one so I can spray it to stop the thrush
Brilliant onward and upwards, come on Ruby you can fight this girly

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am glad she is doing so well the pads do cause thrush but once the feet are trimmed and treated they will be fine, the vet showed me how to pad my horses feet so I changed them every two days and sprayed them with the blue foot spray for sheep and it did clear up.

RubysGold

Visit site
Roo has been doing her walks in hand. Not far. Just round the yard. She is walking pretty well :)
She now whinnies when she sees the headcollar come out. Im amazed by how well behaved she is being, I thought she would play up as soon as she walked round the yard but she isnt at all :)

Vet back in a couple of weeks

RubysGold

Visit site
She is doing really well thanks
She eats all her hay now. Is walking out every day in hand and I'm really hoping that the next vet visit will mean she can go out a short while.
My only issue with her now is that she is so noise sensitive now. She will walk lovely unless there is a noise and then she is a handful!!! I'm sure once turnout can happen that she will relax again though :)

RubysGold

Visit site
The vet took some blood yesterday, to check whether the prascend is working, will get the results on Tuesday
Today I was allowed to turn her out. Vet left some sedaline for me. I have been struggling a little bit walking her out in hand as she is fresh. The sedaline kept her very calm so she could safely get to the field.
Going to start riding her next week :)

RubysGold

Visit site
Roo now goes out in the morning for an hour with no sedaline. She has been leading in and out really nicely and she settles down to eat very quickly too.

This morning though she didn't want to come in. So I had three horses cantering up and down the field while she refused to come near me. Little madam.
But it was lovely to see her feeling so well. She really looks fab :-D
The farrier came yesterday, there is a bit of bruising starting to come out now and she has obviously had an infection in the sole as it is quite disgusting but the farrier is happy that if I keep it clean it will be OK now and he was very pleased with how she is walking and turning now