Last weekend in Feb plans

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Lottie was great show-jumping today. I had so much more control. Very happy with how she is coming on. Though she is very differen from one day to the next so it's not always easy to know what version of Lottie I'll be riding! Mares, eh. But today was sane and keen Lottie. :)

274673516_4937360073010701_3862181726299526756_n.jpg

mavandkaz

Visit site
Have completely lost all motivation to ride recently, thanks to work being manic and the rubbish weather, but mainly because Shambles has turned into a bit of monster - hes spooky and just generally full of it. My confidence has taken a huge knock, and I make excuses to not ride him ☹️
So I am really trying to push myself to do stuff with him. Was supposed to have a lesson on Thursday but cancelled due to the hail. Did end up taking him in the school when the weather cleared, started well but towards the end got quite strong and was bucking in canter (vet has checked him and we are pretty sure it's exuberance combined with working on flying changes)
Hack yesterday with a fellow livery, so nice to be out in the sun! And he was pretty much spot on, even when cantering. Although again getting a little strong. Today I went to do circuits round the big field. Started great, but did put a massive fly buck in during a canter.
Pole work clinic tmw - hopefully he keeps it together.
Just want my quiet, polite boy back. Not sure how to ride this new version!

j1ffy

Visit site
Sorry to read about the elderly mare scats ?.

I really enjoyed my jumping lesson this morning. I was worried that I’d lost the balance and position for jumping after a few years in a dressage saddle but actually my (very limited) skills came back quickly. I was on a kind, responsive mare who knew her job inside-out but needed some riding to keep her balanced on the corners and stop her running at the jumps. The jumps stayed small but the instructor said I’d be fine if she scared the life out of me by putting them up five or six holes ?.

I then did a short schooling session on Chilli and would have been tempted to aim him at some dinky jumps that were up in the school, but decided attempting our first jump in a dressage saddle isn’t a good idea!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hermosa has been reintegrated into the livery mare herd. A couple of the mares are trying to claim her as theirs, so that makes getting her in and out of the pen a joyful experience. :rolleyes: She'd just settled with YO's herd as well, but YO did not want her to stay there any longer than absolutely necessary. When I said a year ago that I wanted her to get experience with herd integration, I didn't mean like half a dozen times in less than a year. FFS.

Windy as hell today, so just did a short ride with Foinavon.

Bernster

Visit site
Jumping went brilliantly. Had very low expectations but Bertie was fab. Clear round at a local venue who do a really good job at organising a relaxed, friendly, quiet event. Bertie was chilled, focussed, rideable. He ignored the occasional pony club kick from me ? but I was able to practice what I’ve been doing in lessons and we had a better rhythm. Not always perfect but mostly good. Warmed up quietly, popped a few warm up fences, went in and did 2 clear rounds, then put a few jumps up a tiny bit bigger (still teeny but hey we’re having fun) and he jumped those nicely too. Called it a day there as he’d done more than I was expecting. And he was quiet again to untack and load up. I’ll take that !

Attachments

• 0BC08CA4-B200-43B1-9BC0-D46A79B6B37A.jpeg
    0BC08CA4-B200-43B1-9BC0-D46A79B6B37A.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 3AEAE19F-1621-4F81-AE3B-9C7CDCD22114.jpeg
    3AEAE19F-1621-4F81-AE3B-9C7CDCD22114.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 16

Asha

Visit site
Took our IDxConnie yearling for her first show at a local venue .
I didn’t plait as I’d convinced myself she looked more Connie . But looking at the photo , think I got that wrong ?
Anyhow she loaded / travelled perfectly. Was a bit shocked in the indoor with the mirrors , but got over that . But was ? at the two gorgeous Shetlands in the class l. But she behaved and stood nicely in the line . Didn’t get her to show her nice moves as she froze when she saw the Shetlands. But she came away happy so even though she came 4th out of 4 I think she learnt loads 5B7869B8-7280-45B7-B540-22C41743E3E5.jpeg

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a great time at the clinic today! Two lessons, one flatwork and one cavallettis, with my usual coach. They should have been shared lessons but I got lucky and had them allllll to myself. That worked out so, so well.

We worked on getting Henry more over the back and into the contact which he did beautifully. We got some really, really nice trot work with cadence developing. We did lots of leg yielding on a circle and thought about having him filling the outside rein, rather than me pulling on it in my monkey manner. A lot of it was refreshing what we already know, but alos putting more pieces of the puzzle together in my head to get a really lovely outcome, which was a softer, rounder, more responsive horse.

My pole/cavalletti lesson was seriously hard work. We have 4 poles on a circle, which then become cavalletti, which really showed up our weaknesses. If I didn't have my legs on, wasn't sitting quietly and just thinking about the circle and turning, the wheels fell off very quickly and resulted in a trotting mess, rather than a tidy canter! We got it in the end, though it was much easier to the left.

Then we practiced some flying changes and I am pleased to say we really had that exercise wrapped up well quickly. Henry got the pattern of the exercise and then found the changes quiet easy which was really nice. I cannot wait to get out competing this year, I am super excited!

Pippity

Visit site
I spent yesterday helping to run a little dressage comp at my yard. Due to another livery's contacts, we had a list 3 judge for our motley collection of intro and prelim tests! It was great fun and very informative scribing for her. She'll hopefully be coming back to run a test-riding clinic.

And today was Blue's first rehab hack. She couldn't have behaved better, even when a pig in a trailer rattled past us. I was definitely more startled than her!

ihatework

Visit site
It always amazes me just how trusting and generous horses can be. My 2 girls left their herd today for a month of handling/pre-breaking.

Took less than 10 mins to load with no hysterics. Travelled perfectly. Not a hint of sweat the other end. Went into their stables, ate a bit of hay, then went out in the sun. Foot perfect ❤️

10979F82-932B-4A57-87B2-C4A57044CB29.jpeg8C407553-0AD8-4184-9C2C-A44ACB4C0A34.jpegBCA97314-A01D-4C28-87B8-58DE6C0EFBD0.jpegE6ADEDFE-C3E3-4C68-82BA-2A2AC4BFC94D.jpeg

nikkimariet

Visit site
Mid week Sonnar lesson; was fab. Really helpful and I feel like a lot of things have slotted nicely into place.

Weather was much nicer for our comp on Saturday; I bloody went wrong in 98 and totally messed up a movement so despite a 3 and a minus 2 we landed 67.5% and then did the AM music too for 70.5%.

A37BFD56-C334-45E5-BC8D-DACA6CA2B932.jpeg
2F036003-3FFC-41B7-9628-DAA6BF756EF0.jpeg

He was wonderful to ride. Super chill and sensible. Good egg. He had a day off today!

Michen

Visit site
Bog had his first jump of the year and since October today at a yard clinic. Little monkey was rather rudely keen so we did some jumping out of walk which I’ve never done- was interesting!

Just love this horse, I can’t believe he’s 10 and I’ve had him 5 years. Touch wood going to get busy entering some events.

[video]
[\video]EB54E662-B783-4FCD-8676-978489E04F6F.jpeg639EB580-1D77-4C36-AE46-83640C7D26FF.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
Have completely lost all motivation to ride recently, thanks to work being manic and the rubbish weather, but mainly because Shambles has turned into a bit of monster - hes spooky and just generally full of it. My confidence has taken a huge knock, and I make excuses to not ride him ☹️
So I am really trying to push myself to do stuff with him. Was supposed to have a lesson on Thursday but cancelled due to the hail. Did end up taking him in the school when the weather cleared, started well but towards the end got quite strong and was bucking in canter (vet has checked him and we are pretty sure it's exuberance combined with working on flying changes)
Hack yesterday with a fellow livery, so nice to be out in the sun! And he was pretty much spot on, even when cantering. Although again getting a little strong. Today I went to do circuits round the big field. Started great, but did put a massive fly buck in during a canter.
Pole work clinic tmw - hopefully he keeps it together.
Just want my quiet, polite boy back. Not sure how to ride this new version!

At this time of year when Boggle is in that not quite full work but fit and fresh I have him dosed up on valerian, works great. Hilton herbs calm and collected. Not comp legal as it actually works.

Bear is on it too, helps his slight anxiety about things like leaves ?

TheMule

Visit site
Beautiful morning at the beach with @LEC
Nova's first trip there and he was quite bright at the start as it was quite busy but he relaxed and gave me a lovely ride. His mother always loved the beach but was a bit of a handful as she was all about speed ? I think his max speed is about half what hers was, but that suits me now I'm not so brave!

47D53A8A-B147-4D97-9741-861158A8C795.jpeg
95051260-DAAB-49B2-9D11-7B145D69B002.jpeg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Pleasantly busy weekend in the sunshine here, not achieved very much but trundling along all the same.
Millie and Kira seem to have reached an agreement and so it looks like field-sharing is possible in the long term, which is a huuuuge weight off my mind - the thought of having a 16yo retire and not be able to tolerate sharing a paddock was a bit daunting. They've now got a big space that will allow me to experimentally add other members of the mare herd... all in good time ;)

New boy has done some more little bits of getting-to-know-you, he's not at all fit so all very low key, finding the buttons and working out how he thinks. He's quite anxious and prone to winding himself up, so i think just quietly poddling along will hopefully help him to chill. he's a talented fella though and I think he'll be fun to ride when we get a bit of a partnership going.

Frank has started Big Skool and has done 2 little lunging sessions this weekend. I have written his advert as I'm just not in a position to back and ride him away myself now, it's going to be too difficult to be consistent with him, have to be realistic about what is possible :confused: but he is doing his groundwork willingly and we will chip away at that on the weekends while he's still here :)

half of the mare herd!
274940088_5265535550124579_1707966680304204033_n.jpg

scats

Visit site
DB0415D5-0E9B-4C35-9CD5-D77FC17177E0.jpeg
We were out hacking at 8am. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve done a road hack as I only have time on a Sunday and the weather has been horrid up til this weekend. Millie marched out and absolutely loved it. We met a gorgeous chocolate lab puppy too.
Polly did a 25 minute stretchy session under saddle yesterday. We’ve made massive breakthroughs with getting her to relax and take the contact forward and down. Keeping sessions short and sweet and we still don’t canter (PSD- I’m not about to push my luck!) but she absolutely loves it and is just always so up for her work.

Went out clothes shopping with my mum this afternoon for a few hours, too.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Today was great. Not only did I manage to tow myself (although needed help reversing/parking), we had a really good confidence-boosting session. He jumped everything first time, except one jump that I was nervous of and always have been. Even if he wasn’t sure, he was still going when I put my leg on. He was extremely rideable and our confidence has definitely returned. I have just got to aim to do a couple of 80 courses before Aston in April

047FE841-144A-4810-B1C0-684B076D7002.jpeg

Sheep

Visit site
Dressage for us yesterday, sorted our qualifying scores for winter finals which I was pleased with. 5th in prelim & 4th in novice, more or less same score in each! Horse felt great. Next up for us is regional finals at end of March before nationals the following week ☺️

C35E7AC8-9F1D-44DC-BE18-EA7104D17181.jpeg507E71C1-6376-49E5-935E-A30BAC5BBD7D.jpeg

Also a moment of vanity, but thought I’d add this in! I’ve been on a diet since the start of the year and have lost about 20lbs so far, I think its starting to pay off ? before pic is from sometime last year, after is yesterday. Still a way to go but hopefully the horse is feeling the benefit too ?

84A1F5F1-A1EA-4FFC-A02F-99FF280AFB65.jpeg
FA0D8FBB-99CE-42CA-8EFE-5C2758C9457F.jpeg

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
We went hacking and made the most of the recents storms downed trees.

Pod was very game, but was as economical as he always is ?

219F53EC-3531-491D-BB1E-E4593CA54232.jpg

I’d planned a new hack for Sunday. But one of the half filled bays of the muck heap beckoned instead. And with the land still too wet to get machinery on it was a do it by hand job. Over 100 wheel barrows, filled by hand later and then hand flung. That’s a quarter of one field muck spread ready for spring.

But I do now have an empty muck bay to fill and a full one which can be lift to rot until we spread it at the end of Spring. The ground should be good enough by then to get the machinery out. I ache in places I didn’t know could ache today ?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Well we certainly made the most of the facilities at Kelsall on Sunday! Such an incredible set up now that the indoor is completed.

Isaac had a little bit of arena XC schooling in the bottom of the two arena XC spaces (unfortunately the top bit was fully booked because of the amount of stormy weekends forcing people to reschedule). However, this was the ideal opportunity to play with the ditches, as he hasn't jumped once since September-time. I used a couple of poles and wings to build a half coffin and then a sort of trakehner. He was very happy about going up and down the steps. The jumps themselves start off a bit spooky, then he rapidly becomes over confident. Looking forward to getting him out schooling on grass at some point in March - then hopefully start with some baby events in April.

Then Simon had a very busy eventing-prep day. We did some canter sets in the XC schooling field first - just doing big steady canter loops utilising the gradient for extra effectiveness.

After that, we went and jumped in the Blue Chip RLF Power qualifier - and he felt good again, although I overrode to the first double resulting in us having a pole down. I seem to have had a recent case of 4-fault-itis!

And then, in a slight change of plan, I went back out into the XC schooling field and did 15 minutes of grass XC schooling. This wasn't the original plan as he doesn't have studholes in yet (farrier here this week)... but the weather was so beautiful and spring like that there was absolutely no need for studs - ground was good with just a little cut in it and plenty of grass cover. The forecast for this week is quite rainy here, so I'm glad to have fitted that in now and not be panicking about trying to get out next weekend.

So - eventing prep for Simon is complete and ticked off. Ready to start season in two weeks at Oasby - fingers crossed!!

oldie48

Visit site
First of all, MP totally thrilled that you have a new ride, DC, so pleased your boy is making a recovery and some lovely pics of other h&h posters doing their thing. NickiM, Jiffy, I love following your horses and Smiggy, such a pretty pony! Sheep, wow, 20lbs! I need your diet, old age is adding that much just to my waist!
I've enjoyed schooling Mr D Friday and today. Owner was doing a pole work clinic on Saturday but I couldn't make it but we used the poles on Friday either to go over or avoid, which gave me some more challenging counter canter! Mr D had a jump on Sunday while I was enjoying a very boozy lunch with friends but it's questionable which of us enjoyed our day more. Mr D loves his jumping and even at 22 happily skips round a pretty decent course! I just love this horse, he is such a sweetie so I have included a pic of him doing what he really loved doing before his injury.274528439_5109039199154630_3213904078182161859_n.jpg

Roxylola

Visit site
We got a last minute trip to somerford for the farm ride. Charlie's owner rode him and I took Bon, they've been in our little turn out area together and quite like each other but Charlie was whiffling to Bon when he was hesitating loading - he didn't take much coaxing but it makes my heart flutter that Charlie is just such a Saint ?
Both boys behaved super and had a ball. Charlie may have done a bit of sideways dancing when he spied a jump and thought he wasn't going to get to jump it ?
Bon hopped a couple of logs and had some good canters and went in all the waters. We've found he doesn't race, at all, if Charlie sets off behind him he squirms a bit then just canters, if Charlie sets off upsides he dances sideways out of the way then just canters, and if Charlie sets off in front he just canters ? Hes not a bit bothered about being left behind, and when Charlie's owner growled at him for being rude Bon immediately came back to trot ? he's just super polite ?
Best view - through Bons ears watching Charlie- couldn't ask for more Screenshot_20220228-205442_Gallery.jpg