Last weekend in March plans

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Lottie is also in a rubber pelham with roundings for jumping. She is much better in that and the mouthpiece is soft. She was very fussy in her mouth before, lots of head tossing and snatching at the reins. I have played around with a few bits and she is happiest in a NS verbindend loose ringed snaffle and in the rubber pelham. She does not object to those at all.

Chippers1

Visit site
Ah that's good. I have thought about using roundings for jumping, but I didn't know whether this was still acceptable :D I might see if anyone on the yard has any I can try before buying some. Would make those quick rein releases and gathers a bit easier!

Michen

Visit site
I don't jump in mine purely because it feels like a lot of bit and Bog loves the odd flier, and I wouldn't want to accidently sock him in it. Mine's a rubber one too.

If you intend to jump just make sure you are really good with your hands otherwise he may get a bit sticky, especially as with roundings you are essentially engaging the curb all the time. I only really pick it up for fast work, which is why I don't fret about the roundings.

Peglo

Visit site
Got my first outing on Sunday. Just to a winter woolies show and doing a couple of in hand classes. A few peoples told me to take my saddle and ride in the warm up ring to see what she thinks so might do that. I’ve not actually tried Peggy’s In hand bridle on Tali yet so hopefully it fits.
friend who’s taking us asked if I can pleat which I can but haven’t done it for ages. Flo loves her mane and tail being pulled, brushed and played with so will practice on her tonight.
Hope Tali has a fun day out and it’s not to stressful for either of us.

ETA I have a lot of cleaning horse and tack to do tomorrow too and better practice some in hand leading.

Chippers1

Visit site
Ok that is a good point. I always used to jump/hunt/xc my old pony in a pelham with two reins so it'll just be getting back into the habit of it. He can be a pain to jump sometimes so I definitely don't want him getting sticky! I think i'll stick to two reins.
It's a metal one but he has quite a small mouth so I don't want to put a thick rubber one in there as I don't think he'll like it.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
View attachment 89524View attachment 89523

First international of the year- dressage yesterday was an FEI pb and we’re in 3rd of 29 with 8 nations forward in the class. Marathon Saturday ?? Cones Sunday and then the fun that is post Brexit travel home.

Super Well done - as a European Shipping Consultant I can assure you as long as you get your Carnet stamped properly, coming home is so much easier than going out. Just the ferries are a nightmare now with the P & O scandal.

blood_magik

Visit site
Nothing too exciting for us this weekend.

Struggling with the big guy at the moment so have a gentle backside-kicking pencilled in with our trainer for tomorrow afternoon, and then our usual bi-weekly lesson Tuesday.

Raz and NV are both back in work so I’ll need to get my finger out and get them going ready for their upcoming competitions.

NV in the glorious Scottish sunshine this morning ?
9E2033D4-8062-47A4-B45F-B600F2ADC8CD.jpeg

have a good one, everyone…

Last edited:

Chippers1

Visit site
Just to update, he jumped fabulously in the pelham :) as fun and forward as he normally is but I felt 100% in control rather than being tanked into and away from the jumps!
We even ended up doing 80cm (3 times!!) Which I haven't done for so long because of not feeling confident enough due to braking issues. And stringing a little course together which I also haven't done at home for ages!
Good little pony.
Had the pivo out, don't judge my position it's gone a bit terrible ?
Screenshot_20220325-170349_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220325-170359_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220325-170404_Gallery.jpg
This is the 80, the pivo struggled with the angle haha
Screenshot_20220325-170352_Gallery.jpg

Sheep

Visit site
Popped down to our regionals for something to do, delighted to pick up a couple of placings in our league finals so came home with a couple of rosettes ? 3rd in both prelim & novice.
Hoping hoping hoping the big lad is ok for next week’s national champs - but if he isn’t, we won’t go. He seems pretty good atm but I am refusing to trot him up until Tuesday, vet said no point cos we will only drive ourselves mad! It would be a shame to lose the £150 in entry fees and £75 in stabling but hey ho…
E1D660DA-0899-49D1-BB3E-2599AEFCC0CF.jpegBB826CD7-064E-466B-8D74-6229E2EA0177.jpeg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Quiz-bang starting to feel like he might be on an upward trajectory at last. Achieving nothing of note other than learning to at least try and relax instead of boiling over. His brain goes a lot faster than his legs, and they are pretty speedy :p It was helpful that our lesson last week started from a totally awful point because we survived that and he's been more reasonable ever since. Even just on the ground he has got a lot more relaxed. I like to tack up in the stable with the door open so i can go in and out to get things and he's mostly on board with that now - to begin with i had to tie him up and he'd still be whirling around. so... getting there. Boundaries and understanding. I am sure the sunny weather is helping ;)

277231548_5339879579356842_9151075048929628866_n.jpg

palo1

Visit site
Quiz-bang starting to feel like he might be on an upward trajectory at last. Achieving nothing of note other than learning to at least try and relax instead of boiling over. His brain goes a lot faster than his legs, and they are pretty speedy :p It was helpful that our lesson last week started from a totally awful point because we survived that and he's been more reasonable ever since. Even just on the ground he has got a lot more relaxed. I like to tack up in the stable with the door open so i can go in and out to get things and he's mostly on board with that now - to begin with i had to tie him up and he'd still be whirling around. so... getting there. Boundaries and understanding. I am sure the sunny weather is helping ;)

277231548_5339879579356842_9151075048929628866_n.jpg

Ooh, he looks very smart!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Sorry about the Covid, this was me the weekend before last.

Other than that, pah, we aren't doing much this weekend, but that's OK because because... we did our first dressage ever, in fact baby horse's first competition ever, on Tuesday.

He did really well. He isn't the bravest, but tends to just slow down when not confident. He trotted up the centre line, got confused as to why I was asking him to trot towards a car, had a little walk, continued but bannana-ing at the boards, but soon got over that too and he had never been in a dressed dressage arena before.

All good, got 66%, at times we showed what work is to come.

He was vaccinated just now, today, so is having an easier weekend but then we are hiring our first ever cross country on Tuesday. Looks like I may be going on my own, which isn't ideal, but it will be fine.

Good luck to everyone else.

Well our hack was amazing, went to a new place by the canal, had a canter and all was well.

276994608_10222132450364252_6154275629296543752_n.jpg

And...

A spare lesson has come up tomorrow to go working cows, so baby horse is learning to control cows tomorrow! I do this with all mine as we have cows driving up and down the village in summer. I like to have them have the tools in case we happen upon them cantering at us one day! Baby horse came to me when it was done for the year, but they will be out any day now so the timing is perfect.

So, we are "doing something" this weekend after all!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Little turbo cob is now back with me, after her loaners handed in their notice. I don't have time for two, but am making the most of being able to ride her again.
So I hired a local venue to do some arena cross-country. Neither of us have jumped since the beginning of December, and prior to that she had started running out and stopping with her loaner. So plan was to keep it simple and easy.
Needn't have worried - she got straight back into it and merrily bounced over everything asked of her. I even put my brave pants on and jumped a couple of 90's. Historically I have always been too scared to jump fixed fences but she just gives me so much confidence.
Need to make a decision whether to sell/loan/share her out, but for now will just have some fun. Screenshot_20220327-124916~2.png

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Fantastic XC session today. I went to Smallwood instead of Somerford in the end and it was actually much more useful than Somerford would have been I think. Somerford is fab but the grass is well manicured and short, the 80 acres is flat and there are nicely prepared landings and takeoffs for all the jumps. Great for schooling but for a 'what will Lottie be like XC' outing, undulating and cambered ground, longer, skiddier turf and no prepared take off and landing zones was great prepatation. Plus it is laid out as a course so I could see how she did with just keeping going. It was only half way round that it occurred to me I have never cantered Lottie downhill, let alone jumped her downhill! So I did a roll top at the bottom of a steepish hill which is reassuring in case there is something like that at Northallerton.

She was AWESOME. We warmed up then jumped the first 3 from a start-box start. And galloped up the hill towards 4 to check my brakes. Then we played around with a few more technical lines. Then opened her up for the final 3 in a striaght line on the way home. Not so long ago she would have been uncontrollable jumping a line of fences likle that. But actually she was lisening, adjustble, sensible. And gave me a great feeling out there. Jumped a few 90s with no issue.

She was just fab. Such a confidence giving horse. I really feel that - whisper it - Lottie suits me better than Amber did ....

Amber is still my No 1 Gorgeous Girl but Lottie has a rock solid place in my heart too. She's never going anywhere! Happy smiles at the end. Hope I look like that at the end of theXC next weekend

277216560_526050195627957_8941462264564286031_n.jpg

scats

Visit site
Fantastic XC session today. I went to Smallwood instead of Somerford in the end and it was actually much more useful than Somerford would have been I think. Somerford is fab but the grass is well manicured and short, the 80 acres is flat and there are nicely prepared landings and takeoffs for all the jumps. Great for schooling but for a 'what will Lottie be like XC' outing, undulating and cambered ground, longer, skiddier turf and no prepared take off and landing zones was great prepatation. Plus it is laid out as a course so I could see how she did with just keeping going. It was only half way round that it occurred to me I have never cantered Lottie downhill, let alone jumped her downhill! So I did a roll top at the bottom of a steepish hill which is reassuring in case there is something like that at Northallerton.

She was AWESOME. We warmed up then jumped the first 3 from a start-box start. And galloped up the hill towards 4 to check my brakes. Then we played around with a few more technical lines. Then opened her up for the final 3 in a striaght line on the way home. Not so long ago she would have been uncontrollable jumping a line of fences likle that. But actually she was lisening, adjustble, sensible. And gave me a great feeling out there. Jumped a few 90s with no issue.

She was just fab. Such a confidence giving horse. I really feel that - whisper it - Lottie suits me better than Amber did ....

Amber is still my No 1 Gorgeous Girl but Lottie has a rock solid place in my heart too. She's never going anywhere! Happy smiles at the end. Hope I look like that at the end of theXC next weekend

Im so pleased for you AE x

Sheep

Visit site
Sounds like lots of fun in the sun for a lot of people!
AE, so lovely to see your partnership with Lottie blossoming - she is fabulous!

Height of excitement for me today was bathing the big lad. Then popped him out into the all-weather paddock for a bit… think he’s feeling good ? this display all took place in the space of about 30secs… not doing my stress levels any favours but he did look great in the few strides of trot he did so feeling semi optimistic about him being OK when I get back on (hopefully) on Weds.

418FDE5B-5835-4E0D-8DE3-A298D67A0AA2.jpegBE3790F8-4B9B-46C4-B3D3-E232D1B99B06.jpegCAFAD4DB-AFD3-4976-AB08-7A9862601311.jpeg8369EDAE-436B-4AA9-A9C6-B588F22E696C.jpeg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Managed to ride today and yesterday which was a bonus! Pepsi was great, really starting to get the idea of relaxing down more. Plus even managed to get a few nice bits of medium trot. It was nice after a frustrating flatwork session earlier in the week where we just weren’t on the same page at all.

Personally think he’s looking pretty good at the moment (other than the slightly patchy changing coat). The remedial shoes are definitely helping improve his posture behind, which I’m pleased about.
70AEC509-FA54-41EF-B62F-CF4DE3731ED5.jpeg

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site

Fabulous!! She is very beautiful too. Lucky horse to land on her hooves with you - it sounds like you both had great fun and super prep for next time. :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Managed to ride today and yesterday which was a bonus! Pepsi was great, really starting to get the idea of relaxing down more. Plus even managed to get a few nice bits of medium trot. It was nice after a frustrating flatwork session earlier in the week where we just weren’t on the same page at all.

Personally think he’s looking pretty good at the moment (other than the slightly patchy changing coat). The remedial shoes are definitely helping improve his posture behind, which I’m pleased about.
View attachment 89692
big difference there ikmv.

Reactions: TPO

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
big difference there ikmv.
Thank you! I’m really happy, it makes the slightly eye watering price worth it knowing it’s for his long term soundness and comfort. The farrier has actually done a good job of it, and I like the shoe we’ve chosen, so we will stick with that and re-xray after the next cycle I think. Eventually might look at taking him barefoot behind but not just yet.

Reactions: TPO