Lateral movements - which seat bone to weight?

Lissie2

Visit site
As above! I've read a million different answers but does anyone know the 'correct' side to slightly weight I.e on the inside (the leg they bend around) or outside (the direction they move away from?) obviously half pass they bend in direction of movement. I get confused as to whether I'm supposed to use seat to pull horse across and under or to create a space to move horse into (so other side) I've heard people claim both are correct???!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
For me, always sit towards the direction of travel in the half pass. You need to use your inside leg to maintain the bend and impulsion, and think of your hands going together in the same direction. It's quite noticeable when riders sit against the movement in lateral work, it makes the exercise look forced. You can't push the horse sideways, I think of inviting it to come across with me. Inside leg to outside rein should be the main feeling, with the outside leg guiding the horse across.

Likewise sit to the inside in S-In and travers etc. And walk piris. Some horses chuck you to the outside rather than accepting the suppleness... much easier to correct this if you can sit towards the inside.

Last edited:

Lissie2

Visit site
Aaahhh....I thought that made more sense. I certainly know (from being a mummy and carry my toddlers like a horse!!!!) that I'm more inclined to move right if they sit right slightly. And visa versa. It always helps me to imagine how the weight feels as a horse x

eggs

Visit site
As milliepops said. Leg yield can be an odd one though. One of my horses is much better if I sit to the inside and another is better if I sit to the outside (although obviously I sit to the inside on her in half pass, SI, etc).

Lissie2

Visit site
Yes I've found some horses move better if you weight against direction of travel in Leg yield. Just wondered ways meant to be technically correct X

blitznbobs

Visit site
For me, always sit towards the direction of travel in the half pass. You need to use your inside leg to maintain the bend and impulsion, and think of your hands going together in the same direction. It's quite noticeable when riders sit against the movement in lateral work, it makes the exercise look forced. You can't push the horse sideways, I think of inviting it to come across with me. Inside leg to outside rein should be the main feeling, with the outside leg guiding the horse across.

Likewise sit to the inside in S-In and travers etc. And walk piris. Some horses chuck you to the outside rather than accepting the suppleness... much easier to correct this if you can sit towards the inside.

Yup that's what I do too... Everything hands bum weight towards the direction saying... 'Come with me this way'

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes I've found some horses move better if you weight against direction of travel in Leg yield. Just wondered ways meant to be technically correct X

leg yield is a bit different though, as there is no bend, though you may have flexion against the direction of travel. I try to sit in the middle of the horse for LY. it's not a collecting exercise like the SI, travers etc so perhaps it's less noticeable the effect of sitting one way or the other. The thing about sitting to the outside in LY is it tends to make riders collapse at the hip (though as a rider it feels like you can give a better or more influential leg aid). The horse probably needs to become more reactive to allow the rider to sit in the middle.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I have to say I am wondering this at the moment, as my daughter has gained confidence so is working more on control using body weight. I was taught that for turning to move weight slightly to the direction you want to go. And our pony responds to this very well. I am stumped when it comes to the lateral movements. I figure that as she is still too nervous to canter, why not work on these things.

When I learnt leg yield I was told that when say, going left to shift weight to the right hip and push the horse over and forwards

cowgirl16

Visit site
Weight on the opposite side to direction of travel in sideways movements. Weight on same side as direction of travel for turns. But that's western.