Latest hideous Dog Attack

MurphysMinder

Visit site
a work colleague has just put down a deposit on a labradoodle- the 'crazy' breeder had 4 other litters of doodle pups and several litters of kittens. all in a 3 bed suburban semi. these dogs are being churned out in massive numbers and going to people who frankly don't have the time or the know how.
And I bet it's highly unlikely the so called breeder has a licence, which from October 2018 anyone breeding more than 2 litters in a year has to have.

paddy555

Visit site
I'm going to be controversial here, and say I think a lot of the problems in dog behaviour nowadays is due to the huge increase in "fluffy" training methods. I am all for positive training but in many cases people just don't seem to know how to deal with dogs that might need firmer methods. I am in a breed fb group which is anti any sort of aversive training methods, even down to half check collars. I am sure its not a coincidence that they have so many posts from people who can't cope with their unruly dogs. There are also so many badly behaved dogs of all breeds turning up in rescues, mostly just needing a few boundaries.
A neighbour has recently acquired a 6 month old collie from DT, she is its 3rd home. She is a farmers daughter who grew up with working dogs, but has been taking this pup to a local training class. She is really struggling with pup pulling (walked in a harness), jumping up, mouthing etc. I suggested a few methods I use, none of which involve battering the dog but for eg a half check collar. I met her a few days ago and she thanked me profusely, pup has better manners, and as she put it , she was doubting herself as she felt she should be doing more to correct the behaviour rather just ignore it, but felt she the trainer must be right.

I got my 1st GSD in the 70's. The breeder ran training classes for a very large area. There were about 16 GSDs walking around on choke chains all under control and bad behaviour would not have been allowed. I am not advocating choke chains but all those dogs were under control. You were allowed to stroke the dog to praise it but the word treats had not been invented.
I took my current pup to a training class where he had to walk to heel with the lead in one hand and continuous treats in my other hand. He could walk to heel perfectly with a good supply of liver or sausages.

Someone asked what the council were doing about clearing up poo bags left all over the place. Why should they be doing anything? it is not their job to clear them up it is the OWNER'S job to put them in the correct place for the council to deal with them. What they should in fact be doing is giving the owners a fine for littering. Not very practical I know but there is no reason the council tax payer should be funding these dog owners who cannot put bags in the right place.

Whilst there were far fewer dogs in earlier years we also had a wonderful device for controlling them out on walks. It doesn't seem to be available today unfortunately. We used to call it a lead and you rarely saw a dog out in a public place without one attached. Generally it stopped your dog either running off to bother other dogs or running off to jump up at people or horses.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
a work colleague has just put down a deposit on a labradoodle- the 'crazy' breeder had 4 other litters of doodle pups and several litters of kittens. all in a 3 bed suburban semi. these dogs are being churned out in massive numbers and going to people who frankly don't have the time or the know how.
Does this constitute puppy farming? Reportable perhaps?

tallyho!

Visit site
Someone asked what the council were doing about clearing up poo bags left all over the place. Why should they be doing anything? it is not their job to clear them up it is the OWNER'S job to put them in the correct place for the council to deal with them. What they should in fact be doing is giving the owners a fine for littering. Not very practical I know but there is no reason the council tax payer should be funding these dog owners who cannot put bags in the right place.

Actually Paddy, it IS eventually. It is the council's responsibility to clean the streets and fine dog owners for mess. I know this, because I asked. It's a public health issue. If your council is not cleaning up, you have every right to let them know about the mess and it is their duty to clean up. As a community we complained and they came and cleaned and took the bags off the trees. They put new signs up. Since then though.... naff all.

https://www.keepbritaintidy.org/faqs/advice/dog-fouling-and-law

Keep up the complaints people! :)

tallyho!

Visit site
Whilst there were far fewer dogs in earlier years we also had a wonderful device for controlling them out on walks. It doesn't seem to be available today unfortunately. We used to call it a lead and you rarely saw a dog out in a public place without one attached. Generally it stopped your dog either running off to bother other dogs or running off to jump up at people or horses.

:D :D

paddy555

Visit site
Actually Paddy, it IS eventually. It is the council's responsibility to clean the streets and fine dog owners for mess. I know this, because I asked. It's a public health issue. If your council is not cleaning up, you have every right to let them know about the mess and it is their duty to clean up. As a community we complained and they came and cleaned and took the bags off the trees. They put new signs up. Since then though.... naff all.

https://www.keepbritaintidy.org/faqs/advice/dog-fouling-and-law

Keep up the complaints people! :)

It might be eventually however,
IMHO it is up to the lazy owners to clean up after themselves in the first place. You have a dog, you take the responsibility for stopping it annoying others (via a lead) stopping it hurting anyone (via a muzzle) and stopping it fouling (by clearing up)

tallyho!

Visit site
It might be eventually however,
IMHO it is up to the lazy owners to clean up after themselves in the first place. You have a dog, you take the responsibility for stopping it annoying others (via a lead) stopping it hurting anyone (via a muzzle) and stopping it fouling (by clearing up)
#Join my club

Beausmate

Visit site
It would be better to take them to the doorstep of the idiots who leave their filled bags decorating the countryside.

I have a theory on the 'abandoned poo bag' issue. Not all, but most of the stray bags around here (there is even a trail of them to be regularly found, that leads to the bin - just why?!) appear to be the biodegradable type, and I reckon some of the idiots think it's ok to leave them (as it is biodegradable, innit?) and they have done their bit by picking it up....:rolleyes:

There really are too many entitled, irresponsible, selfish people out there with no thought for the consequences of their actions. They just don't seem to think further than the ends of their collective noses and it really ****** me off.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have a theory on the 'abandoned poo bag' issue. Not all, but most of the stray bags around here (there is even a trail of them to be regularly found, that leads to the bin - just why?!) appear to be the biodegradable type, and I reckon some of the idiots think it's ok to leave them (as it is biodegradable, innit?) and they have done their bit by picking it up....:rolleyes:

There really are too many entitled, irresponsible, selfish people out there with no thought for the consequences of their actions. They just don't seem to think further than the ends of their collective noses and it really ****** me off.

I have moved on a bit from poo-bags now. I am seriously considering taking the Rotters to prance around the 9Miniscule) garden of the f8888ing idiot who keeps allowing her 'cocker-poo' to prance through our field of sheep. 'He doesn't chase them' is her reasoning. No he doesn't but he upsets them - and it's their field not his! Grrrrrrr!

littlefluffball

Visit site
Dog ownership is a bit of a gripe of mine - and I am the biggest dog lover! I don't know if it is because there are so many more dog owners now or they are less responsible or a mixture. I am forever having to go out to my chickens when someone walks past with their out of control dog who decides to chase them. Folk letting their dog run loose through fields of growing crops, letting their dog crap everywhere and not picking it up or bagging it then tossing the bag......

Trying to keep it brief but due a sudden change in life circumstance I at one point found myself having to work long hours, while on my own, with two dogs. I made the best of the situation and my dogs never suffered - we walked 4 miles every Morning before I went to work, the dog walker came in at lunchtime and they went on an hour walk with her and "the pack" then we went out again at night. To be honest as very lazy sighthounds they weren't fussed either way but I just worked out to do the best I could. i will never ever forget an "acquantance" who flat out told me I was cruel to have/keep the dogs when I had to work. I was livid because I knew for a fact my dogs got more than many I knew who were in what is probably looked at as more "dog suitable" situations. She herself had a rottweiler (she was gorgeous) and she didn't work yet that poor dog got "walked" around the same block twice a day every day!

I think people see dogs as a fashion accessory now and pick more by the image or name than what breed and breed traits would suit their circumstances. People also probably take less time to train them these days not least due to the fact that most peoples lives are very busy and hectic now