Laura Collett Tweseldown today

merlinsquest

Visit site
I saw the fall, it was horrific to watch & I hope I never see anything like that again. The team at Tweseldown were fantastic, first on the scene was one of the course builders, he did an amazing job of ensuring Laura's safety whilst deploying medical help & screens & all the time staying calm, well done to him. The medical team were just awesome & there is no doubt in my mind that she was in the best possible hands. God bless all of you for doing your absolute best, & lets pray that Laura has a speedy & full recovery.

Fanatical

Visit site
More info here...

Laura Collett — who suffered a rotational fall at Tweseldown yesterday (8 July) — is “very ill, but not critical,” according to British eventing team manager, Yogi Breisner.

In an interview with BBC Wiltshire this morning, Yogi said the Membury-based rider had a “stable night”.

He added: “She is under sedation and they are going to keep her under sedation for at least 24 hours.

“She has got some sort of head injury, but not a serious one. She had a scan yesterday and the news from that was good.”

Yogi added: “She has got some damage to her liver and a punctured lung and some ribs”.

Laura, 23, was competing in an intermediate section on the seven-year-old mare Tis A Beauty (not pictured), when they had a rotational fall at fence 18. The mare was unharmed.

She was conscious when taken to hospital but placed in an induced coma there.

This morning, her family said that she had been “woken up briefly and responded well to family. She is now asleep again.”

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/laura-collett-rotational-fall-induced-coma/#yIT0FJYvtjYEJuAe.99

claracanter

Visit site
Still in shock. I've become a big fan of hers following her twitter when she took on Kauto Star. She handle the whole situation with such maturity. The recent photos of her and Kauto giving a dressage demo at Barbury are sensational.

Wishing her a speedy recovery. My thoughts are with her, her family and her wonderful team.

Dusty85

Visit site
Poor Girl, how awful. Wish her a speedy recovery.

Have to say it would be very unusual for a tracheostomy to be performed straight away (unless airway obstruction but unlikely in this case) more like she has been intubated instead. But either way, not a nice thing to happen and I hope to see her out competing again some day when she is recovered. Best wishes and thoughts to all concerned.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Poor Girl, how awful. Wish her a speedy recovery.

Have to say it would be very unusual for a tracheostomy to be performed straight away (unless airway obstruction but unlikely in this case) more like she has been intubated instead. But either way, not a nice thing to happen and I hope to see her out competing again some day when she is recovered. Best wishes and thoughts to all concerned.

Paramedics can do an emergency tracheostomy - lasts minutes but is enough to get the pt to hospital.

Fingers crossed for Laura, sounds positive if her CT scan is reported as good.

Dusty85

Visit site
Very unlikely paramedics would do an emergency tracheostomy at the scene- more likely they would intubated the standard way

glamourpuss

Visit site
The tracheostomy comment came from me. It was a result of reading a misinformed tweet & putting 2 & 2 together & getting 5. Given the information that has now come from Laura's people I see that I made a big mistake.

Dusty85

Visit site
Glamourpuss- I didn't mean it in a getting at anyone way- I just thought it would be a very strange thing to do at the scene! (I'm an ITU/anaesthetics Doctor)
No harm done xx

Puppy

Visit site
I am so pleased to hear of better news today.

Laura, and all her friends and family, have been in my thoughts since I heard the news last night. I do hope that she is over the worst of it, and back to full health as soon as possible.

Daffodil

Visit site
Radio Solent news is giving updates on her this morning, and said she was in Southampton Hospital with head injuries.

Everything crossed for her swift recovery.

Fanatical

Visit site
I suspect that there is no news because there is no change as yet. I believe she was put back under yesterday afternoon and it was said that she would stay sedated for 24-28 hours.