Laying an indoor surface on concrete

Visit site
So, we are currently house hunting and looking at properties that have buildings of a suitable size to convert to an indoor (I’m told it’s pretty essential for winter over here).

My question is, quite a few of the buildings have concrete floors. I’m thinking along the lines of obviously they lay surfaces at Olympia, Aintree etc etc, is it feasible to lay a surface for long term use on a concrete surface.

Its just for western pleasure and groundwork (and turnout when the winter hits) and there will only be myself and hubby using it, so it will get low use. There’ll obviously not be any jumping.

Obviously taking up a concrete floor is going to be a huge undertaking and I’d prefer obviously not to have to go down this route if there is a different option.

Thanks all

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I ll guess it depends on the type of surface..i Was at a yard whose indoor school was made in a cowshed..so on concrete. It was a sand surface and a bit slippy but there must be a good solution out there..probably at a good price.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
1646449_2020-06-22-05_00_24-jpg.51466

I used to ride in here a lot until i got a bigger outdoor arena. its got a concrete floor which I laid a foot of sticky bark peeling on (NOT woodchip) . When that went thin I added 30 tons of sand, and over the years I mucked out wet beds.

I was told by the experts that it wouldn't work but it was never an problem, I even jumped in there and its only 11 metres wide.

If i was doing it now I would go for 75mm sand and then carpet fibre on top.

Attachments

• 1646449_2020-06-22 05_00_24.jpg
    1646449_2020-06-22 05_00_24.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 342

Muddywellies

Visit site
At my livery yard there are areas of concrete under the surface. It's lethal in places. I think the biggest problem is that the surface is far too thin. You might just about get away with it with a top quality surface, abd plenty of it. Best people to advise would be the surface manufacturers themselves.

kathantoinette

Visit site
A friend of mine put some sand in a farm building on top of a very smooth concrete surface. She put plenty of sand in and it was fine, although did ride a bit deep. It was a temporary thing but had it been permanent if she also put fibre with the sand I dare say it would have been perfect!

ycbm

Visit site
I don't understand why a surface which is over six inches deep in total would ride any differently if the surface it's sitting on is concrete or the normal compacted chippings which are as hard as .... ummm ... concrete.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think the difference is that indoors tend to get quite dry unless they are watered so you lack the binding quality that damp sand has.

I think a waxed surface would be my preference for ease of maintenance but ££££

ihatework

Visit site
There is a little indoor where I am in an old cow shed. I can only assume it’s on concrete.
It’s got a deep layer of a chunky fibre surface. Works well enough but they do have to water and grade it frequently. I think sand wouldn’t cut it. The snob in me would love a waxed fibre/sand mix!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've put a temporary surface down many times (on concrete, and once on asphalt - to make a jousting arena on the road outside Tesco's; that was fun!). You need a very good, firm base and be careful especially on turns as it can be slippery and the horse can dig through to the concrete.

Visit site
Thanks guys, that’s so helpful and Once we find a property that is suitable I’ll see if I can get hubby to speak to some surface companies, wax with a fibre added seems to be popular over here. I’ve got arena envy as the private 17BE9D50-DF95-4608-A27C-5E9EDEC057F4.jpegyard I am extremely lucky to be on temporarily has an amazing indoor and wax surface and it is lovely.

ycbm

Visit site
I think the difference is that indoors tend to get quite dry unless they are watered so you lack the binding quality that damp sand has.

I think a waxed surface would be my preference for ease of maintenance but ££££

I watered the track every day in summer when I was riding in there regularly to keep the dust down.

doodle

Visit site
I’m trying to remember what type of surface but there was a yard locally that had an indoor. In summer the surface was lifted and it was a grain shed. In winter the surface went back down and it was used as a school and had quite a lot of use as was livery yard and owner taught outside clients.

Otherwise

Visit site
I’m trying to remember what type of surface but there was a yard locally that had an indoor. In summer the surface was lifted and it was a grain shed. In winter the surface went back down and it was used as a school and had quite a lot of use as was livery yard and owner taught outside clients.
This is what my yard does, they put sand and carpet fibre in once the grain has sold and then take it all out right before the next harvest. The school doesn't get really heavy use like a riding school would but it's never been slippy or at risk of a horse reaching the concrete. They've taken it up now but there was a good amount of surface, more than just a couple of inches.