Leasing of horse with kissing spines

QueenT

Visit site
We have been looking to buy a showjumper that competes at 125, 8 yrs old - asking price around 45k Euros. Vetting showed kissing spines and a bone malformation in both hocks. So we declined. However, owner is pregnant and offered the horse to us in a 2-year leasing deal. Problem is, I think that asking 1500 Euros per month is pretty steep. I’d be willing to pay 500 per month, as the horse has long-term risks and we don’t ti more or less have paid for the horse without owning it at the end of term. Do any of you have experience with leasing? Thanks

JBM

Visit site
Personally wouldn’t touch with a barge pole but 45k seems way to much for a horse with that many problems at 8 it will only get worse with that kind of work
Leases (I thought) were generally 10% of the value for the year so 4500 a year but I could be wrong

QueenT

Visit site
Personally wouldn’t touch with a barge pole but 45k seems way to much for a horse with that many problems at 8 it will only get worse with that kind of work
Leases (I thought) were generally 10% of the value for the year so 4500 a year but I could be wrong
Good input, asking price was before the findings, so def not same price now

Melody Grey

Visit site
We have been looking to buy a showjumper that competes at 125, 8 yrs old - asking price around 45k Euros. Vetting showed kissing spines and a bone malformation in both hocks. So we declined. However, owner is pregnant and offered the horse to us in a 2-year leasing deal. Problem is, I think that asking 1500 Euros per month is pretty steep. I’d be willing to pay 500 per month, as the horse has long-term risks and we don’t ti more or less have paid for the horse without owning it at the end of term. Do any of you have experience with leasing? Thanks
Sounds like the owners are aware that their value is both inflated and will depreciate with conditions that are likely to worsen…..so yes, with that figure they’re basically expecting you to pay (an unrealistically high) value through the lease to offset their loss.

Very cheeky offer if you really like the horse and it’s doing what you want it to do right now. You’ll be uninsured too so factor that in. A lot of people wouldn’t even consider it at all, so they’d be daft not to consider an offer….unless it goes to the olympics, it’s value’s not going to improve from here!!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If the KS has only just been discovered, or hasn't been rehabbed properly (and I'm cynical about a lot of rehab) then this is a rehab project horse at best, not a show jumper. It may not be symptomatic but those two issues, as hocks are bad as well, are almost certainly related to moving incorrectly over a long period of time and there WILL be symptoms sooner rather than later I would say.

QueenT

Visit site
Does leasing make you responsible for all vet fees for 2 years? I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial bargepole if it does, and not at that price under any conditions.
Does leasing make you responsible for all vet fees for 2 years? I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial bargepole if it does, and not at that price under any conditions.
Yes, but there is option to terminate contract w three months’ notice, so we can get out of it if vet bills run up

Shutterbug

Visit site
Having broken my ankle being chucked off a horse that had very little in the way of symptoms, but was diagnosed with KS shortly after, I wouldn't touch it. If you have that kind of money to spend on a horse, make it one without the potential to injure you

QueenT

Visit site
So if you started leasing this horse tomorrow what would you be doing with it? Cause if you're going to ignore the findings and compete it at 125, I'd say that was pretty cruel! If you're going to start rehabbing it at 1500 a month, I'd say you're pretty crazy!
It’s clinically sound right now and have no symptoms, we didn’t want the long-term risk