Leaving one behind

Backtoblack

Visit site
I keep my horses at home, I have one riding horse and a non ridden companion who is stabled whist I hack my riding horse. He seems ok he neighs once or twice but is then quiet,he doesn't bother neighing on my return. Lately though he has stopped eating his hay whilst alone and there is always a pile of droppings so he's not totally chilled about it. I am considering getting a pony so that I don't have to leave one alone. Your thoughts please,and chocolate hobnobs coffee and wine for reading this far.

WispyBegs

Visit site
Seeing as you keep your horses at home I would definitely suggest getting a companion horse/pony.
Only thing I would be mindful of is that if your grazing is suitable for a pony - i.e risk of laminitis - as my friend has fallen victim to this and now has a problem on her hands as the grazing is too lush! May not be a problem for you though.

Backtoblack

Visit site
It's the extra responsibility,poo picking,vet fees ans so on that's holding me back and if a 3rd will get on with the other two,as well as what husband will say. Honestly I think I'm seriously overthinking this, I just need to get on with it.

nutjob

Visit site
I keep 2 at home. One is an unbacked youngster but I have got him used to staying on his own when I go out with the other one. I don't have space for a third or the time, energy and money to look after one so it's not really an option. I prefer to be able to separate mine as each will need to go out and about to lessons and competitions on their own so I want them to be able to be independent. Yours are a bit different in that one is none ridden anyway so it's not so important. Mine doesn't eat a lot of hay atm when he's left but I think its because there is plenty of grass and he doesn't prefer it.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
How long are you out? I wouldn't concern myself with leaving a horse not eating their hay and only calling a couple of time if it was <couple hours. Overnight would be more of a concern.
I sprinkled pony nuts for mine and she stays at home happily while I pop off on an adventure with the other one. I even managed to take 2 out and leave the stressy loan horse at home one day - she barely acknowledged us leaving or coming home.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I usually have 2 here. I find that, at first, they are better in the stable when the other goes out. After a while, they seem to settle to it and then can be in or out, no worries. They tend to just ignore the other.

I do know that not doing it doesn't cure them, so I split them daily. I usually swap forage as a distraction. So, if they are on hay, they get a net of haylage, and vice versa. Like kids, they always want what they don't usually get! I also use a full grid so I can be confident that they will stay where I put them. Other than that, I make it a daily short break, so it is simply commonplace (only until they aren't bothered, then it can be as and when).

One pair got particularly stuck, I temporarily split them so one was out in the day and the other out at night. They could still see each other, but had a 20m gap. Once they got over themselves, it no longer mattered who was where.

I think it helps if you also keep them thinking, as in ground work if not ridden, or in ridden work. That way they are having decisions made for them on a daily basis, I find this helps them to learn to trust in you.

Tarragon

Visit site
If you want an excuse to get another, then you have one ;)
But, I do think that leaving one in a safe space, like a stable, for the time it takes you to go out for a ride, is also perfectly acceptable. If you were returning to find a sweat soaked wreck, then it isn't working and you would have to do the basic training (as Red-1 suggests above) but from your description it all sound OK. Note eating hay and a poo doesn't sound too bad.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah, depends on the individual, at the yard i currently have one that is fine to leave (sleeps, eats, barely notices) and one that twirls around being neurotic. I can't afford a third stable at livery and there's not space anyway, so the neurotic one just has to cope and i leave him as safe as I can. previously had one that was so bad being left that i had to close the top door and boot her. Others have been somewhere in between.

If you have space, time and £ for 3 it does make it much nicer for everyone if there are 2 left behind. but it's not practical for everyone.

Winters100

Visit site
Maybe I am hard hearted, but personally I would just carry on. He is at home and it won't kill him to stop eating for a few hours. I anyway like mine to be able to be alone, it can be necessary to transport a single horse, or to leave one in alone if on box rest, so I would view it as good practice.

TGM

Visit site
We have ours at home and there have been plenty of times when we have had to leave one home alone and they all get used to it pretty quickly. Ours can be left for some time as well, as often the others are out hunting. I find the one left behind is better left in the stable (although that will depend on the individual horse) and to start with we do things like mixing carrots into the hay ration. Personally, in your shoes I would stick with what you have got, sometimes the companions can be harder work than the ridden ones in terms of management and veterinary issues!

Backtoblack

Visit site
Food for thought here have mentioned it to other half and he's fine with the idea, I don't know if this helps or not. The pony that's left doesn't mind much ,but I kind of feel a bit sorry for him. I'm thinking of approaching the charities, I think some maybe do fostering of youngsters which might be useful if it doesn't turn out as the newby could always go back.

ponynutz

Visit site
We only have 2 and the other gets very upset when I hack but as it's only a couple of hours and we don't have room for another we just try and manage as best as we can.

If you can tho you definitely should... who wouldn't want another running around? I also want pictures hehe...