Length of turnout time

How much turnout does your horse get each day in the Winter?

• None

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • No more than 1 - 2 hours

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • No more than 3 - 4 hours

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • No more than 6 - 8 hours

Votes: 79 35.7%
  • Unlimited/no time restraint

Votes: 69 31.2%
  • Over 8 hours

Votes: 55 24.9%

• Total voters

holeymoley

Visit site
As poll title. Please only respond if you are on DiY, Assisted/Part or Full livery.

How much turnout does your horse get per day at this time of year?

Thank you

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks.

Over 8 hours is unheard of in my livery area so never thought to write it!

I'm guessing you are only wanting to know about livery restrictions and that those of us with horses at home under our own control shouldn't answer?

ihatework

Visit site
Currently I actually have no idea!!
I know he goes out overnight still sometimes with a friend, provided the weather is ok. Otherwise suspect it’s an adhoc couple of hours here and there

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Mine is on full livery but lives out 24/7 because this suits him well and I prefer him to live out. He might come in for a couple of hours before/after being exercised depending on what else is going on. One of the other full liveries also lives out in an adjacent paddock to mine (this horse needs A LOT more forage than my little cob!) as he is happiest when out. The yard arranges the turnout according to what suits each horse, although they don't have endless land so have to manage it fairly carefully.

doodle

Visit site
We can leave them out as much as wanted really but ideally come in as it gets dark to prevent high jinx. Some people are up at 7am to turn out some people are later.

AUB

Visit site
6-16 every day, all year. This time of year the yard will typically bring in so they’re in at 16, in the summertime the yard will typically start to bring in around 16.

holeymoley

Visit site
I'm guessing you are only wanting to know about livery restrictions and that those of us with horses at home under our own control shouldn't answer?

Yes thank you, just wanting to see what is the norm for liveries. I know it can vary drastically depending on location but a rough idea is fine.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Yard only does full livery, they go out around 5:30-6am and come in around 3:30-4pm. It’s the only place that offers this though, most yards round here are no turnout Nov-Apr or only out a few hours a day and they have to stay in if it’s rained for a few days in a row (Wales!).

Surbie

Visit site
Between 8-10 hours here - mine is out 7.30-8am-ish if not ridden in the morning (can go out earlier in theory but has to have company) and is generally in 4.30-5pm.

Previous yard was unlimited, but on boggy clay so not a good option in winter for my horse.

oldie48

Visit site
ATM Rose goes out at 07.00 in the morning but will be brought in to be ridden. She could go back out again afterwards but she has her own outside area with hay attached to her stable, so she's not confined. When the weather is cold and wet, she gets a bit fed up but when the weather is sunny and warm she has the option to stay out much longer. She can also go into a large sand school with hay provided. It's all pretty flexible really.

Micropony

Visit site
Have answered no more than 6-8 hours, but it varies according to weather and what's going on. If they're being worked, as ours all are, mine is happy with a couple of hours, I am not someone who gets upset if they're not out all day long. It's a balance between giving them some time to mooch about, graze and play with their friends on the one hand, and preserving the ground so it doesn't get deep, slippery and dangerous, and trashed for the rest of the winter. We have 4 horses on 8 acres, which I think is pretty healthy for this area. It's more than most have, and by being sensible and managing in line with the weather we are able to have good safe fields for the vast majority of the year, and minimise field injuries.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I said 6-8, on part livery and I think they go out about 7 to 8 depending on whether it's a weekday or weekend. At the moment they might start coming in about 2:30 to get all the horses in before it gets too dark at 4pm. I'll go up to ride a couple of times in the week so then mine will come in by 2pm and a bit earlier at the weekend if I want to hack.

be positive

Visit site
Mine is now on full livery:eek: going out daily from first light, about 8ish until 4ish or a bit earlier if they want in on bad days, he is the only livery so fits in with the owners routine.
My 2 at home have very limited grazing, which is why horse is up the road, they are yarded so go out on the grazing as and when but have a huge area of hard standing to wander on.

When I ran a livery yard I turned out usually 8am -4pm with in time getting later as says got longer and 24/7 April- Oct sometimes longer if I could.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Goops, I answered at the top of the page and then read it was for liveries only. :oops:

Take off one 6-8 hours, sorry.

When mine is at livery we have 4 hrs a day out, that is summer or winter, but it is a competition livery so they are worked daily, unless the rider is at a show that is not compatible with my horse.

ETA - scrolled up and found a 'change vote' button - so I have done!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I have 2 on DIY. They go out 6 til 7am whilst I muck out. Then 4.30 til 5.30 ish in the evening. One wont stay out long in winter anyway. As I work full time this routine suits us all.

Austen123

Visit site
I am on assisted DIY and most horses are out 7-330, however my horse doesnt like to stay out too long and will cause havoc if she decides she wants to come in. She is out 7-1130/12ish and is very happy with that .

chaps89

Visit site
DIY with my own 1.5acre field to do as I wish with.
1 x 12hh lives out 24/7 apart from the very worst of weather
1 x 14.1hh goes out overnight and in during the day. Usually comes in around 7 or 8am, back out anywhere between 4.30 and 6.30pm.
If my land could take it they would both winter out but it's just too wet unfortunately.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
In theory, ours are allowed out from 6am until 3pm at this time of year. In practice, my horse has breakfast at 6am, does short warm up session of groundwork or schooling just after 7am and goes out straight afterwards. Then comes in around 1.30 to hack or school before the light fades.
We're on clay, so the fields get very soggy, so my horse seems to enjoy seeing his mates and grazing in the morning but has had enough after a few hours. It's a rolling routine which changes as the light increases.