Lesson today

oldie48

Visit site
Interesting and useful lesson today. Owner wrote for a list one judge at the weekend (elem - Adv med classes) and she noted that any indirect trans got marked down quite heavily so we did quite a lot of work on trot down the C line, halt, trot and W/C trans, it also threw up some issues I had in making really good turns down the C line. I'm not competing ATM but it did demonstrate that the horse really needs to be on the aids to get a direct trot to square halt as well as a good halt to trot trans, I've been a bit guilty of dribbling in and out of halt! I also don't prepare early enough for turns down and off the C line, hence I lose straightness and accuracy and it's all about the outside rein! A little tip for getting a good turn with Mr D was to use a touch of the whip on the inside hind on the new turn to ask him to step under as part of the preparation for the turn. Mr D's W/C trans are really good so if it's not direct it's most definitely my fault and i needed to ensure he was in front of the leg and make my aid sharper and clearer. Really good session and I was absolutely knackered!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Halt to trot is really frequently shown as halt, walk step, scrabble then trot. It's soooo hard to get an, erm, less motivated horse to truly trot from the first step. But once you notice it, it's so obvious how most people don't get it quite crisply enough.

Separate thing, but as an exercise, halt to canter was a transformative exercise for getting my welshie really sitting and engaged in the canter. Similarly hard to truly pull it off but you can feel the difference when you do! Hello hindlegs ?

oldie48

Visit site
Halt to trot is really frequently shown as halt, walk step, scrabble then trot. It's soooo hard to get an, erm, less motivated horse to truly trot from the first step. But once you notice it, it's so obvious how most people don't get it quite crisply enough.

Separate thing, but as an exercise, halt to canter was a transformative exercise for getting my welshie really sitting and engaged in the canter. Similarly hard to truly pull it off but you can feel the difference when you do! Hello hindlegs ?
Ooh, must try halt to canter, I'm getting the hang of canter to walk, generally it's OK but halt to canter??

Apercrumbie

Visit site

Completely agree on halt to canter - you feel like a king when they start to get it, it just feels amazing and really improves the quality & sit of the canter.

Sounds like a great lesson, thanks for sharing oldie!

teapot

Visit site
Sounds great, love lessons like that.

I was doing a 10m circle in trot, halt, trot 10m circle etc/repeat down the long side exercise the other week. Sharpened both of us up ?

oldie48

Visit site
Sounds great, love lessons like that.

I was doing a 10m circle in trot, halt, trot 10m circle etc/repeat down the long side exercise the other week. Sharpened both of us up ?
10m circles are so good at showing up faults in my riding, that half 10 onto the C line and then go straight but with enough impulsion for a good direct halt at x is a really testing movement, but I have spent most of my riding life doing it badly! Owner is aiming for me to score an 8 not a 6.5! I think that turn really helps me to appreciate the use of the outside rein to straighten the horse followed by the need to have an even contact in both reins and that's only part of the steering!

tristar

Visit site
sounds great fun, i just love trot, halt to trot with the neck elevated from a good halt, and the surge of power taking off from halt

not surprised you were tired though after!