Lessons

Wishfilly

Visit site
No I don't at all, esp not with their various outgoings. Just baffles me when people say they're only paying £30. Though do appreciate for some it's a second/add on income/pocket money.

I do know coaches on £25k for 3 days a week though. I also highly doubt any self employed coach is working a solid 8hrs a day five/six days a week either for many many reasons. Anyway, state of finances and business in the equestrian industry is a PhD level topic I feel :D

£30 is about standard around here (Cornwall), and some charge less. I know local riding schools who only charge £25 for a group lesson for an hour. The problem is, there is not much money around here, and if prices go up, then people will end up cutting down on lessons, so overall, an instructor's income would go down.

I used to work at a riding school/trekking centre here, and basically we survived off of big summer bookings and working pretty much flat out in the summer hols especially, and being able to practically turn away a lot of the horses in the winter- so very few staff were kept on over the winter.

I don't resent paying for instruction from a good/well qualified instructor and I know they've got to make a living but equally I know a lot of them feel that if they put their prices up, they'd lose enough custom for it not to be worthwhile- so I think it's a balance from their PoV.

I appreciate other parts of the country are very different, though!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It's putting a better price on the value of decent tuition/knowledge/expertise. Why do people undersell it compared to other sports and industries? Why do we also allow unqualifed uninsured people to teach too?

But that's assuming qualified = knowledge and expertise. Which IMHO isnt always the case.

And how do you quantify qualified? BHS exams? ABRS? Other?

For me being BHS qualified is way, way down the list of things I look for in an instructor. It wouldn't put me off but it's not a selling point either.

I've never used a non insured instructor/trainer though - yard rules have always specified I do.

teapot

Visit site
Riding at a riding school isn't the same as owning with a totally different set of pro's and con's - so a bit like comparing the price of apples with pears.

True true. I'm utterly spoilt where I ride hence why I'm happy to pay what I do!

But that's assuming qualified = knowledge and expertise. Which IMHO isnt always the case.

And how do you quantify qualified? BHS exams? ABRS? Other?

For me being BHS qualified is way, way down the list of things I look for in an instructor. It wouldn't put me off but it's not a selling point either.

I've never used a non insured instructor/trainer though - yard rules have always specified I do.

It's such a personal thing though. Some people see qualifications as a good sign of CPD (regardless of who's awarded them) alongside competition records etc. Others favour one over the other. Some people have no idea what the new exams actually entail for example and live off an old school stereotype so anyone BHS is immediately shocking. Horses for courses as we say. There was a great thread on TwitterEventing about it recently. Note how many BE Coaches are also BHS qualified...

Bottom line is the industry is open to abuse and cheap costings don't necessarily help that.

Last edited:

Tarragon

Visit site
I am also interested to know what your instructors do in the case of cancellations due to bad weather or equivalent, especially where there is no arena to school on?

oldie48

Visit site
When I was riding I paid between £40 and £60 for a lesson of usually 45 mins. My sharer is paying £75 but as we don't have to travel as I did for my £60 trainer the cost is pretty much the same. I also felt the lessons represented good value and the more expensive trainers are very experienced and have competed and/or judged at the highest level. I rarely have to cancel and when on occasion I have had to it's been with reasonable notice so I've not been charged.

Widgeon

Visit site
I pay £25 for half an hour. It seems to be the going rate in my experience.

Me too, £25 for a half hour private lesson in whatever (flat or jumping) with our YO (who is qualified with various organisations but I couldn't quote her affiliations!). I was actually paying the same at a good local riding school a few years ago - £25 for a half hour weekday private lesson.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Yes I know - I work in the industry and am very aware of costs, especially at the moment ;) As I say, I have friends who spend less than I do and regularly remind me I'd be better off with my own! Maybe they're savvy, scrimping or just tight. Who knows. Just offering the other side of the fence :) Prices on this thread make me wonder if some coaches ever make any money...

As a horse owner I think you’re right in terms of cost per ride most definitely. One of my sharers was paying around £80 an hour so one lesson a week would just about cover my livery basics of livery. Forage, bedding, feed. But not anything else but I ride 5-6 days a week.

Regandal

Visit site
I pay £30 for 30 - 45 minutes, I seriously doubt if I could sustain that level of intensity for much longer than that, without oxygen or crack cocaine.
Trainer is very good, no formal qualifications but talent to burn. She is insured.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
£25 for 45 mins for my weekly instructor who knows pony as well as I do. She does charge me less tho, no idea why. Maybe my unclipped unrugged poobald pony gives her the idea I’m very poor... I think she normally charges others £30 or £35. I have no idea what her qualifications are but she does the local pony club so I assume she has some. For me tho her style suits me and her ethos fits with mine so I’m not really bothered about her qualifications.

Then when I fancy a more intense lesson maybe once every couple of months I have an instructor who competes dressage at a high level with her welsh d so she understands ponies which is obviously good for me! Again she charges me less than others. I pay £40 for 45 mins and think she normally charges £50.

Then I have an instructor for jumping that I met doing one of her clinics. She charges £35 for an hour but I arrange a full day of lessons at the yard for her.

Honestly no idea why 2/3 instructors seem to favour me and charge me less. Maybe it’s pity, I’m so rubbish at riding and pony is a clumsy giraffe masquerading as a pony...