Let’s find a horse for SLH

Evie91

Visit site
Not read all of the replies and don’t know the history. First thoughts based on SLH post is would you not be better off looking for a loan?
Just thinking if horse budget is also emergency fund, it may be an idea to loan instead? Just thinking back to when I first had a horse on loan - spent best part of £1,000 by the time I’d bought, tack, rugs, chiro, dentist, insurance,saddle fit,wormer and farrier. Plus the excess on any insurance claims. Just thinking if whole budget is blown on the horse, leaves nothing to buy horse ‘stuff’! If you have a loan instead there is still an emergency fund!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Not read all of the replies and don’t know the history. First thoughts based on SLH post is would you not be better off looking for a loan?
Just thinking if horse budget is also emergency fund, it may be an idea to loan instead? Just thinking back to when I first had a horse on loan - spent best part of £1,000 by the time I’d bought, tack, rugs, chiro, dentist, insurance,saddle fit,wormer and farrier. Plus the excess on any insurance claims. Just thinking if whole budget is blown on the horse, leaves nothing to buy horse ‘stuff’! If you have a loan instead there is still an emergency fund!

Perhaps SLH has a 'maximum horse fund' and an 'extras fund' and doesn't intend to mix the two!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Perhaps SLH has a 'maximum horse fund' and an 'extras fund' and doesn't intend to mix the two!

Correct. The only reason I had to dip into my horse fund this time was due to the fact that I had several issues all at once, which was about typical. Luckily it doesn't generally happen like that.
I appreciate the idea of what's been said there but it's not how it is in day to day general life luckily. I won't leave things to chance as a rule do always have various contingency plans in place :)
I'm able to afford all that I need to do, it's just that I don't have a massive upfront budget, though the longer I'm horseless the more money goes in the piggy bank :)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Well, just an update. I've viewed 2 horses, one of which I've fallen for hook, line and sinker...small deposit left on the provision the vetting goes ok. Opting for a 2 stage for various reasons that I will explain if all goes well and horse comes home :)

Horse is on the lower end of my height range, MW with decent bone, I hacked out etc on horse who didn't put a foot wrong despite a few little challenges :) Horse is 6 years old with interesting breeding and a slightly unfortunate history. Price about right for type, experience etc. Superb hack but needs work from a schooling perspective which has been discussed and I'm expecting a few little challenges but nothing out of my experience range.
I have no concerns to bring up with the vet that I can think of so my fingers are firmly crossed. Horse within reason for me to attend vetting, just got to arrange tomorrow as pesky Bank Holiday got in the way today.
Seller asked me a million questions and seems very genuine, burst into tears when I said I loved horse and was interested in buying. Horse literally chose me lol, followed me around and was blowing happy breaths into my face and neck for ages ❤❤❤

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well, just an update. I've viewed 2 horses, one of which I've fallen for hook, line and sinker...small deposit left on the provision the vetting goes ok. Opting for a 2 stage for various reasons that I will explain if all goes well and horse comes home :)

Horse is on the lower end of my height range, MW with decent bone, I hacked out etc on horse who didn't put a foot wrong despite a few little challenges :) Horse is 6 years old with interesting breeding and a slightly unfortunate history. Price about right for type, experience etc. Superb hack but needs work from a schooling perspective which has been discussed and I'm expecting a few little challenges but nothing out of my experience range.
I have no concerns to bring up with the vet that I can think of so my fingers are firmly crossed. Horse within reason for me to attend vetting, just got to arrange tomorrow as pesky Bank Holiday got in the way today.
Seller asked me a million questions and seems very genuine, burst into tears when I said I loved horse and was interested in buying. Horse literally chose me lol, followed me around and was blowing happy breaths into my face and neck for ages ❤❤❤

All the best horses do choose their new owners!

Fingers crossed that his one works out for you!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
only logged on this morning to see if you had updated......great news, really hope this is the one. understand why you are being brief with details. hope your friend was with you and is in agreement. lots of luck with the vetting....

while it is good to go with your heart, please make sure your head is involved as well, remember you liked bailey and had heartbreak over him as he wasnt suitable for your set up. you have discounted many who were not the height you wanted so make sure you will be happy with something smaller and you are not buying because of his unfortunate history and you feel sorry for him...... fingers crossed that all goes smoothly and horse is all you expect..

Last edited:

cblover

Visit site
I’ve been following your story with fingers crossed for you. Sounds like you’ve hit the jackpot with this one. All the very best with the vet, look forward to hearing how it goes.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
while it is good to go with your heart, please make sure your head is involved as well, remember you liked bailey and had heartbreak over him as he wasnt suitable for your set up. you have discounted many who were not the height you wanted so make sure you will be happy with something smaller and you are not buying because of his unfortunate history and you feel sorry for him...... fingers crossed that all goes smoothly and horse is all you expect..

I appreciate the prod lol. Horse is big enough for sure, just on the lower side of my big enough if that makes sense.
I didn't know anything of it's history until AFTER the viewing, I did a bit of digging. There's no sob story or anything like that, just a shame really. Sane friend is away with work for a few months but has seen photos and videos of horse and was initially not sure until better photos arrived. She knows all of the details and believes horse to be absolutely worth having esp as it's a really fab hack which is the biggest priority.
There is obviously far more to the whole thing but I'm being vague for obvious reasons at the moment.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
It seems to me that a fab hack, of the right size, is what you are looking for! Go for it!

Exactly lol. It's from a schooling etc perspective that things may get a little more challenging but I know what's been said etc about horse from past owner and current owner...I'm choosing to work with the horse in front of me rather than what I've been told, if that makes sense.
I'm desperate to pick people's brains about horse lol but dare not till vetting done and belongs to me 😣😣😣😣😣
I get the feeling this horse will divide a few opinions on HHO lol but it fits the following:
* Right height
* Right "type"
* Good age group
* Hacks alone/company with zero drama
* Easy to handle
* Sensibly priced for education level
Downside:
* Needs weight/muscle
* Conformation could be better but vet will decide if that's an issue
* Not had consistent schooling etc so will need it stripping back to basics (professional training will be involved).

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Exactly lol. It's from a schooling etc perspective that things may get a little more challenging but I know what's been said etc about horse from past owner and current owner...I'm choosing to work with the horse in front of me rather than what I've been told, if that makes sense.
I'm desperate to pick people's brains about horse lol but dare not till vetting done and belongs to me 😣😣😣😣😣

I can never get the way some people consider hacking and schooling to be completely different styles of riding.. A good hack does as it is asked, forwards, sideways and backwards, or it isn't going to get you very far. If you want to build on that in an arena, if you have one, fair enough but imo, the rider should always be looking to improve the horse, no matter where it is ridden.

SpringArising

Visit site
I can never get the way some people consider hacking and schooling to be completely different styles of riding.. A good hack does as it is asked, forwards, sideways and backwards, or it isn't going to get you very far. If you want to build on that in an arena, if you have one, fair enough but imo, the rider should always be looking to improve the horse, no matter where it is ridden.

In the school it's not just about forwards, backwards, or sideways. It's way more taxing and requires much more balance and coordination than hacking, which is why some horses are lovely hacks but go like a camel in the arena...

In the school my horse is 'in class' - I work on inside/outside bend, correct leads, lead changes, changes to tempo, transitions, counter canter etc. When I take my horse for a hack we do virtually miles and miles of straight lines on washing line reins. I don't work on any of the things out hacking that I do in the school because I like hacks to be 'days off' for my horse (and me). I imagine lots of other people feel the same hence why they differentiate the two.