Let’s find a horse for SLH

southerncomfort

Visit site
Why opt for a 2 stage vetting over a 5 stage? If there’s a concern over a point of conformation, why not PM one of HHO’s more knowledgeable members such as Adorable Alice or Be Positive, and ask their opinion on it.

Yes I was going to say that if you have even a small niggling worry, maybe PM one or two trusted posters for their thoughts.

Really hope this one works out for you. 🙂

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
In the school it's not just about forwards, backwards, or sideways. It's way more taxing and requires much more balance and coordination than hacking, which is why some horses are lovely hacks but go like a camel in the arena...

In the school my horse is 'in class' - I work on inside/outside bend, correct leads, lead changes, changes to tempo, transitions, counter canter etc. When I take my horse for a hack we do virtually miles and miles of straight lines on washing line reins. I don't work on any of the things out hacking that I do in the school because I like hacks to be 'days off' for my horse (and me). I imagine lots of other people feel the same hence why they differentiate the two.

There is absolutely no reason not to do everything you have listed on a hack. Many hacking horses need to do most of the things on your list on most hacks, as well as being good in traffic.

I live extremely near to where a well-known SJ family and a young (at the time) eventer all grew up schooling their horses out and about, because there was nowhere else! All weather surfaces are a very new phenomenon, which many of have managed without for years.

If you choose not too, that is entirely up to you.

Summit

Visit site
I'm desperate to pick people's brains about horse lol but dare not till vetting done and belongs to me 😣😣😣😣😣

I wouldn’t as someone will find something wrong :oops: ....that will put doubt in your mind and you’ll pull out.

Sorry but it’s been happening for the past few weeks. Go with your vet’s advice and keep it between the two of you

SpringArising

Visit site
There is absolutely no reason not to do everything you have listed on a hack. Many hacking horses need to do most of the things on your list on most hacks, as well as being good in traffic.

If you choose not too, that is entirely up to you.

Well actually there is, and it's in the last paragraph of my post should you read it properly again.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
But getting other opinions has caused no end of problems for SLH :confused:
I agree, but that’s why I suggested contacting just one or two folk for their opinions. I’d choose AA or BP if I was looking, though of course there are other good folk on here :).

My concerns are the 2 stage vetting rather than a 5 stage, the horse is on the small side when OP has not long ago said said she wants a big horse after all, and it’s only a MW when I thought OP wants/needs a HW.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Horse is 16hh and is a sport type x cob if that helps.
I've messaged a couple of people on here that I know to be knowledgeable and who's opinions I trust. Very very conflicting opinions throughout :(

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/119028891/lovely-hunter-type-for-sale.html?link=/search?keyword=17.1&sectionId=3365&advertType=forsale&maximumPrice=2500

The seller is a friend of mine, if that makes any difference or anyone would like me to enquire any further about him

He is huge! And I love him. It just goes to prove that great value horses are out there (as people keep saying) and you don’t need to spend a fortune. Lovely horse.

Re size, I fell in love with a 14.3hh cob, bought him and he grew to 15.1hh, but I’d had a 17.2hh warmblood before that and I’ve never felt right on him, although the proximity to the ground was appreciated! I’m another who thinks sticking to a particular height is key.

G&T

Visit site
Horse is 16hh and is a sport type x cob if that helps.
I've messaged a couple of people on here that I know to be knowledgeable and who's opinions I trust. Very very conflicting opinions throughout :(

I think you’re very wise not to post too many details on here, there are bound to be some less than favourable viewpoints aired and if you really love this horse and would be truly gutted to lose it then you should probably just go for it (providing vet is happy with him), regardless of others opinions on conformation. This thread has had an awul lot of views and I could understand a seller getting p’d off if their horse was getting absolutely pulled to pieces on here.
If it’s the horse I suspect from the few details you’ve given, then you’ve already had very conflicting opinions from what seem to be experienced posters so no point getting more. You can only tell so much from photos anyway!
I might be talking about a completely different horse but if it’s the one I think then I think it looks like an absolute sweetheart. Good luck x

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I've had to walk away from the sale for a few reasons, I'm really upset about it so don't really want to discuss it. But a very heartfelt thank you to the couple of really awesome HHO members who helped and advised, I really really appreciate it xx

Sorry to hear that.
There is always another horse and another day.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I've had to walk away from the sale for a few reasons, I'm really upset about it so don't really want to discuss it. But a very heartfelt thank you to the couple of really awesome HHO members who helped and advised, I really really appreciate it xx

I'm sorry about that but this one can't have been the right horse for you, in that case. The right one is still out there somewhere. If I were you I wouldn't post about it until you have got the right one home, take your knowledgeable friend, PM a few people on here if you feel that is helpful but don't tell any-one else until the deed is done.;)

AdorableAlice

Visit site

I am sure the 2 people will help you again. You made the right decision.

chaps89

Visit site
It's always incredibly tough horse buying, even more so when you find one then it falls through for one reason or another. I'm very sorry to hear this SLH but you'll get there in the end and it will be worth it!