Lethal inection

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thank you.

The yard seems so empty. There are seven stables inside the yard and one just outside. Four stables are empty. It is horrible. I have my gelding out 24/7 with his yearling friend. I will only bring them in if the weather is really bad because his arthritis really hits him hard when he's in, even though he loves his stable. I don't know when would be the right time to ask the owner of the lovely boy that died so suddenly if she wants to keep a stable here. I don't want her to turn up and find I've filled it, but I don't want to ask her too soon as she is probably feeling the same way as me about getting another.

Last edited:

Sadiemay

Visit site
Dear Wagtail,

I am so very sorry for your losses. I have followed this thread (but never commented) on tender hooks praying for a miracle as the love you have for this special mare shines through in your posts.

I am holding you in my thoughts so much right now. I lost my precious girl after nearly 20 years together in 2011 it was the most traumatic and devastating experience of my life. I would have moved heaven and earth to save her no matter the cost but it just was not meant to be and nothing could have changed that. Some things just are not meant to be sadly.

You did everything you could and that is all you could have possibly done, no one could have done more. She went quickly and peacefully, in familiar surroundings and with you right by her side. What horse could ask for more. The decision to put to sleep can be the very hardest thing to act upon for some owners, but as owners but it’s the final act of love and respect we can give our horses or indeed any animal when it’s their time however hard it is on us. And to me it sounds like it was the right time, not a day too soon nor a day too late.

The grieving process is a rollercoaster and affects different people in different ways. I was blindsided by immense feelings of loss and grief for months and months after my mare died. In the end I had to have counseling to come to terms with losing her. Now 2 years and and 4 months on, I still miss her dreadfully and think of her every day but I feel a sense of calm and peace along with many many happy memories. She is safe now and no one or nothing can hurt her. She may be gone in body but her spirit lives on, as does Penny’s.

Let me share with you a nice poem that my friend sent me when my mare died, I found some comfort in the words and I sincerely hope you do to:

If the day should come when I'm in pain,
And you know I won't be well again,
Promise you'll do what must be done,
If this is the battle that can't be won.

It'll break your heart, but please be kind,
Don't let your grieving sway your mind.
For this is when you'll let me see
Just how much you do love me.

Together we've had happy years
The future now can hold no fears.
Please don't let me suffer
so when that day comes, please let me go.

For my usual vet please will you send?
But stay with me until the end.
Hold me steady, speak to me
Till my once bright eyes no longer see

In time I hope you'll come to see
It's the last kindness you'll do for me
One more time please stroke my mane
And know that I'll have no more pain.

And don't be sad that it was you
Who decided this was what to do.
We've been such buddies through the years
Don't let me be the cause of tears.

You'll always see me graze now,
with the sun upon my back
Painful limbs won't tire me now,
however long the hack.

I live now in your heart and mind,
a lovely place to stay.
And what you have in memories,
no one can take away.

This one is very true.....

You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she has lived.

You can close your eyes and pray that she will come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all she's left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember her only that she is gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back.
Or you can do what she'd want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go

RIP Penny, you beautiful and courageous girl.

Take care and be kind to yourself Wagtail you have been through so much, you need to take some time to take care of “you” now.

Sadiemay

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thank you Sadiemay. Both those poems are lovely, though they make me cry. I was so lucky to have her in my life, as were you to have your precious girl.

The_snoopster

Visit site
So sorry for your loss x I am currently just about winning my battle with my little lad with cushings/lami, but I have also made the hard choice of pts on his next bad attack. My mare has also been diagnosed with cushings, but not yet had lami, but knowing I shall be fighting another battle with lami in the future is gut wrenching. Thinking of you x

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Just caught up on this. I am so very sorry Wagtail. You did all you could for your beautiful girl, and you did the right thing. She went feeling happy and bright in herself.And I am so sorry to hear of the other horse too. Two grand old friends together forever. Please take care of yourself now, you have had a pretty rough time of late Big (((hugs))) x
RIP two beautiful horses, gallop forever free x