Let's hear it for the high blowers!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've just discovered that my new ex racer is a high blower. I love, love, love high blowers and the purring noise they make as they breath out when cantering 💕 .🐈. Anyone else got one?

I've only ever come across it in TBs, anyone got a non TB who does it when relaxed?

PS not to be confused with roarers who make a noise breathing in.

Pie's mum

Visit site
Pie does it, every canter stride is punctuated with a snort. Our lessons and jumping rounds are rather noisy!
He is a little Irish bog horse of unknown breeding but believed to be some combo of cob / id / tb.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Millie is a high blower, Hann x bog pony
Salty has ultra fluttery nostrils, I expect when she properly relaxes in her canterwork she will do the same (Hann). Kira just does outraged snorts!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My first eventer did whistling, roaring and high blowing. He was rather noisy! A scope said he could breathe well enough, so we just went with it.

Next horse I found I missed it as it helped mark the rhythm.

Mum missed it too, as she used to be able to recognise us from a distance (with that and a bad dish!).

indie1282

Visit site
I always hear people say geldings' sheaths make noises but I've never heard it from any of our geldings or any I've ridden! What does it sound like?

I cant quite describe it! It's like a grunt sort of sound - and its rhythmic when they trot mostly. One of my geldings does it all the time and even if he gets wound up on the ground he will do it. My other boy never does it!

Visit site
It annoys me - although not as much as when geldings make that annoying noise from their sheath!!

I hate this! It really really annoys me for some reason! Same with teeth grinding and toe dragging!

We have very few high blowers on the yard but then they are generally being asked to do more and breath more. Wee Pins does it though!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Urgh teeth grinding, we had one on the yard who did it constantly when ridden, I don't know how anyone could have dealt with the noise *shivers

(for a while I presumed she had squeaky tack!)

ycbm

Visit site
It's not a term I'm familiar with - what does it mean?

When they breath out, something in their nostrils flutters in the breeze, and makes a noise a bit like When you take a pack of cards and grab one side and flick through them quickly, only louder, and repeated with each stride. I really love it. I'm very surprised that some people really don't like it.

Teeth grinding, I absolutely can't stand, and have only ever experienced if accompanied by tension. High blowing, though, is just something some horses do, and in fact mine didn't start to do it until he started to relax into the new work I'm asking him to do.

He also has a deep throaty chuckle for 'hello', which I also adore 💓.

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Millie is a high blower, Hann x bog pony
Salty has ultra fluttery nostrils, I expect when she properly relaxes in her canterwork she will do the same (Hann). Kira just does outraged snorts!
I can imagine Kira as an outraged snorter :p

TGM

Visit site
Our Selle Francais x KWPN high blows. It has the advantage that if you are waiting to photograph or video him on a XC course you can hear him coming!

ycbm

Visit site
Our Selle Francais x KWPN high blows. It has the advantage that if you are waiting to photograph or video him on a XC course you can hear him coming!

If that was an iPhone App, you could sell it :)

paddi22

Visit site
ive a little mare that does this. she is so vocal. i absolutely love thw sound, sghe sounds like she's chatting away on a hack. i find it handy when jumping as well as you can hear the canter rhythm so clearly!