Lets justify Hunting for sport!:)

happyhunter123

Visit site
Not if you count the chase, and especially not if you count putting in terriers to bring out one that's gone to earth after a long run. It can be a prolonged experience for the fox before it is killed, as the best celebrated runs in H&H magazine always were.

We've had this exact same argument before! The longest chases, in my experience, often ended in the fox escaping! It was the short, twisting chases where he was likely to double back or make a similar mistake where you most often caught him. I still don't think that the fox knows he is being chased for most of the time.
Terrier work is a different matter-it goes on alongside hunting. It is also very commonly practiced away from the hunting field anyway. Hunting can proceed without terrier work needing to take place-terrier work is purely a form of fox control and nothing else!

cptrayes

Visit site
But you probably have no interest in hounds or hound work!

That's irrelevant. You made a flat statement that fox hunting was more exciting than drag hunting. You didn't say "for me", you said it as if it was the same for everyone. I was pointing out that it is not the same for everyone and that I get more excitement from drag hunting.

cptrayes

Visit site
We've had this exact same argument before! The longest chases, in my experience, often ended in the fox escaping!

And that's OK is it? All it means is that the death, when it finally does come, has been after many chases. That simply prolongs the death experience, don't you see that? You cannot reasonably, in my view, claim that a death from being hunted with hounds is fast.

I still don't think that the fox knows he is being chased for most of the time.

I gave up hunting fox because I saw for myself one fox who knew for a certainty that he was running for his life. I could not go again after that.

Visit site
I have an interesting perspective on this having hunted extensively with several packs for all of my childhood. Then as an adult becoming sickened at the digging out and other associated cruelty which does undoubtedly happen alongside "ordinary" hunting.

I stopped hunting. then realising my hypocrisy i became vegetarian. then vegan.

but i still loved hunting!!! so I started bloodhounding. Which is great, but not the same.

So, although i am anti=hunting, and know it is cruel, as is eating meat or otherwise using animals as if they were not sentient, I cannot bring myself not to thrill at the horn or the sound of hounds speaking......

I remain conflicted

cptrayes

Visit site
Seriously..HOW do you "breed" hares?

Actually, it's a relatively simple process, and what you do, is this; You create an environment which is conducive for them to reproduce. I'll agree that by creating such an environment, and by offering a sheltered and protected home-land, it could be considered to be artificial

Alec.

So how come you were so insistent earlier on with me, Alec, that you do not breed grouse to shoot?

EAST KENT

Visit site
Oh I understood the idea of conserving environment to promote the breeding of species for shooting/hunting,but this person seemed to imagine battery farming the hare,and not many hares would oblige I feel.
Houndwork is everything,totally fascinating to see how a breeze can carry a scent so that hounds follow fifty yards away from the actual scent layed.Real hunting is completely unpredictable, that is it`s charm.That is why for a lot of countries a huge jumping blood horse is not needed,even a handy cob can give the rider a good day out.
No scent layer can replicate the wiley tricks a fox uses to throw his scent,personally witnessed,not hearsay,what an idiot law in an idiot country.