Light Hearted - What's your type?

AthenesOwl

Visit site
I’m a sucker for a lovely bay or grey, preferably about 16.2, not too fine boned but not too chunky. My all time favourite riding school horse was a bay mare who fit that description. Quirky as anything, but I absolutely adored her.

My two current favourites are a gorgeous bay gelding, 15.3 of fluffy adorableness and the most polite horse I have ever met, and a 17.2 grey gelding who is a hilarious retired showjumper, who has given me so much confidence despite (or because of) his cheekiness.

I guess my type would be a combination of these two lovely chaps. I adore them both.

Lyle

Visit site
I really like anything that looks fun and useful within it's chosen 'field'. Some horses I look at and think "I'd like to ride that!" Whether it be prancing in the arena, jumping, hurtling across the country, or hacking on a quiet evening, whatever the horse looks like it would do best.

Overall though, I love eventing so I am a sucker for an athletic type. If it's got a bit of bone, even better.
I was (still am?) totally in love with this guy, pure Welsh D, 15hh, flaxen dark chestnut. Super, super mover, made everything feel easy, and could also jump. He's pure athleticism, coupled with a dollop of un-dentable self assurance, and unflappable to boot. He started under saddle like he'd been doing it all his life. Some horses really do get a lot of the good stuff.
This beautiful boy found a fantastic new home really easily, but luckily for me I have his sire in the field, so there's more of these in my future

FB_IMG_1707605464062.jpg
FB_IMG_1707605507511.jpg
FB_IMG_1707605512701.jpg

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
I was thinking yesterday I think my horse Ziggy could almost be mine. If only the brain was wired up better!

I look at her sometimes and think ‘my god you are perfect’. Her build, looks, colour, fowardness and attitude to work is all absolutely right up my street… but you just can’t trust her and when she loses her head, it falls completely off 😅

I wish I could put some of her more positive traits into Millie but keep Millie’s relative sanity!

Hackback

Visit site
very nice,, is he yours?

5 on all breeds and I'm guessing he is the Spearmint one?

Oh my goodness, not mine no. I have two dirty grey Arab geldings. Dhay just cropped up on a FB post one day ages ago and I've admired him from afar since. And yes I believe Spearmint is his sire

Lovely horse!

ETA - oh dear! I think you’ve just found me a stallion for Mim!

For everyone else -

If I had a mare and I wanted to breed ... There's another one I like in Australia but I can't remember his name. He's used for ranching and ridden by children. I prefer the useful looking ones over the show type.

Btomkins

Visit site
I always joke that I don’t have a type at all! Anything that catches my eye I think, I’m a sucker for an impulse purchase. Love them all and they all make me smile when I see them over the stable door.

At the minute I have:

17.1 chestnut with flaxen Belgian draft
15.2 buckskin Lusitano x
15 Appaloosa
13.2 chestnut with flaxen cob
Gold champagne Welsh x yearling to make 15.2

96E6283F-722A-4FDB-8DE1-1285773F5B88.jpeg

21F47C3F-7E34-439D-8595-95EA25497374.jpeg

88BDA7DC-0E96-4D73-A89D-B8064AF70212.jpeg

0584B0A7-2D91-4F53-A092-16EBEF39F04B.jpeg

4A700FE7-F7F3-4A1D-AA62-A552BDD8871B.jpeg

Ideally my next one will be a totally black finer type around 16hh. Went to Addington stallion show yesterday and was very taken with the many nice black dressage stallions!

paddy555

Visit site
Oh my goodness, not mine no. I have two dirty grey Arab geldings. Dhay just cropped up on a FB post one day ages ago and I've admired him from afar since. And yes I believe Spearmint is his sire

If I had a mare and I wanted to breed ... There's another one I like in Australia but I can't remember his name. He's used for ranching and ridden by children. I prefer the useful looking ones over the show type.
I also prefer the useful looking ones. Hate the modern show ones. There is an amazing set of photos on all breeds for Dhay and his ancestors. Proper arabs.

marmalade76

Visit site
Couldn't find a picture but a proper, old fashioned, rangy, roman nosed hunter type with big ears and excellent feet. Closest I've got was my CB, she was a horse in a million.
I do like the more traditional Friesians but I've "settled" with a big Dales. Less issues hopefully.
I don't like Barbie ponies. So no idea why I have a completely useless, total diva of a dun Sec A in the field...

Like this??

20240211_204214.jpg

robin1

New User
Visit site
Anything that’s slightly unhinged and entertaining to ride 🤣 I’ve always been the one on devil ponies and big excitable babies. I do like a sporty 15/16hh with a bit of bone and good conformation.

JoannaC

Visit site
Not sure I have a type 😂 I would love to not have a grey one day but I seem to be doomed. The first two are half sisters and the second two have a lot of shared ancestors. Odd one out is a gelding and they all had quite different personalities but definitely a theme, even the companion pony is a grey Section A so mini Arab.

shida jumping.jpg

Ishara schooling.jpgBo Dressage champs.jpgGeorgiana.jpg

Identityincrisis

Visit site

Pinkvboots

Visit site

My friend had a spearmint gelding Taroub he was so lovely she only lost a few years ago.