List for crufts

[158444]

Visit site
Even a show springer way smaller than OP is after. As I base weights on a Labrador and large male lab would be of the starter size range. (Knowing OP doesn’t want labs, it’s just a breed I know the weight of).

From a quick Google search springers can be at least 51cm and 27kg so not to far off and if I found the right breed size is something I'm willing to compromise on , I mainly said large for Theo's benefit as I wasn't sure if Theo who is 60cm and 34kg would be ok with a smaller dog as I would want him to hurt a smaller dog like a springer but showlines springers appear bigger so may work

rara007

Visit site
Dog Airedale?
Dog Giant schnauzer?

Fwiw the average uk springer that’s pet/back yard bred rather than show bred, is a bit fat and is about 20kg. My thick set traditionally bred working one but lean dog is 18kg, our modern working bitch is 12kg. Neither would be hurt by a friendly goldie!
This is the dog with a 30kg (lean and lacking muscle) showxworking lab, then the yellow lab is 27kg working bred with the two of them.

Attachments

• F29978A7-F1E1-4347-A00F-C4B151A3C18D.jpeg
    F29978A7-F1E1-4347-A00F-C4B151A3C18D.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 16
  • B04B64C6-B314-4DAC-8A3B-00B04290B749.jpeg
    B04B64C6-B314-4DAC-8A3B-00B04290B749.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 11E7A651-63C1-4903-B6F9-8AF5ED18C5C0.jpeg
    11E7A651-63C1-4903-B6F9-8AF5ED18C5C0.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 17

[158444]

Visit site
Dog Airedale?
Dog Giant schnauzer?

Fwiw the average uk springer that’s pet/back yard bred rather than show bred, is a bit fat and is about 20kg. My thick set traditionally bred working one but lean dog is 18kg, our modern working bitch is 12kg. Neither would be hurt by a friendly goldie!
This is the dog with a 30kg (lean and lacking muscle) showxworking lab, then the yellow lab is 27kg working bred with the two of them.

Gorgeous dogs , I definitely prefer the look of showlines springers, I wish I could get over the way I feel about labs as I know they'd tick everything on my list

Definitely interested in a showline springer though

fankino04

Visit site
I know I said it on the other thread but malamute. My 3 were all really chilled, would do as much or as little exercise as you wanted, no barking, lots of shedding but an easy coat to brush as not long or curly, not aggressive or guarding in any way, all have been good with other dogs, both the girls could sometimes just decide they'd had enough of people sometimes but were never aggressive about it they would just wander off to another room, training wise they aren't as eager to please as some other dogs but all got the basics (recall, sit, wait, no pulling) fairly easily. The stuff I read on Facebook sites about them really doesn't fit with the 3 I had at all.

[158444]

Visit site
I know I said it on the other thread but malamute. My 3 were all really chilled, would do as much or as little exercise as you wanted, no barking, lots of shedding but an easy coat to brush as not long or curly, not aggressive or guarding in any way, all have been good with other dogs, both the girls could sometimes just decide they'd had enough of people sometimes but were never aggressive about it they would just wander off to another room, training wise they aren't as eager to please as some other dogs but all got the basics (recall, sit, wait, no pulling) fairly easily. The stuff I read on Facebook sites about them really doesn't fit with the 3 I had at all.

Once they have learned something do they listen to you most of the time even if it takes 3 attempts ect?

Theirs a lady on YouTube with malamutes and has also had a Golden visit and they do look good together

fankino04

Visit site
Once they have learned something do they listen to you most of the time even if it takes 3 attempts ect?

Theirs a lady on YouTube with malamutes and has also had a Golden visit and they do look good together
Yep, once they get it, it sticks. They can push boundaries and if you are too fluffy with them they will ignore you, they are (or in my experience) quiet no nonsense dogs if that makes sense, non of mine would play fetch for long, it's like they would do the retrieve a few times and then realise that you threw it away again so then figured you didn't want it back so stopped going to get it lol. I went on a few breed walks a while back and met some really useless owners who got dragged all over the place because they didn't bother to teach their dog to walk on a lead properly as other owners had told them that you can't stop them pulling as it's in their breeding, same people were aghast that I let mine off the lead as obviously they would just run off and never come back doh that's what training is for!!! Their seems to be a lot of owners that reinforce these ideas with each other and therefore don't bother training them but I just worked with mine the same as any other dog (or with the first one as I would with a horse lol) and they have all been pretty straightforward. They even used to queue up at the water bowl behind the cats but if you listen to Facebook people they can't live with cats as they would rip them to shreds!

[158444]

Visit site
Yep, once they get it, it sticks. They can push boundaries and if you are too fluffy with them they will ignore you, they are (or in my experience) quiet no nonsense dogs if that makes sense, non of mine would play fetch for long, it's like they would do the retrieve a few times and then realise that you threw it away again so then figured you didn't want it back so stopped going to get it lol. I went on a few breed walks a while back and met some really useless owners who got dragged all over the place because they didn't bother to teach their dog to walk on a lead properly as other owners had told them that you can't stop them pulling as it's in their breeding, same people were aghast that I let mine off the lead as obviously they would just run off and never come back doh that's what training is for!!! Their seems to be a lot of owners that reinforce these ideas with each other and therefore don't bother training them but I just worked with mine the same as any other dog (or with the first one as I would with a horse lol) and they have all been pretty straightforward. They even used to queue up at the water bowl behind the cats but if you listen to Facebook people they can't live with cats as they would rip them to shreds!

So you wouldn't recommend Facebook groups?

What was your experience of them, pros and cons of living with a malamute?

We're yours boys or girls? Can boy malamute be ok with other boys as I know some breeds can be same sex aggressive?

I've always loved malamutes and huskys and most of the Nordic/ snow breeds

fankino04

Visit site
So you wouldn't recommend Facebook groups?

What was your experience of them, pros and cons of living with a malamute?

We're yours boys or girls? Can boy malamute be ok with other boys as I know some breeds can be same sex aggressive?
My experience of the Facebook groups has been that they want to portray them as really difficult dogs so that they seem like wonderful owners for dealing with them, I'm sure there are some out there who are better but it seemed a bit cult like lol.
Pros of living with then was that they were quiet, didn't get obsessed with routines so if I needed to skip a morning walk for any reason they didn't get agitated by it and would happily wait till later, aren't needy at all so you can get on with other things if you work from home without getting pestered.
Cons, maybe just their size as it was intimidating to some people and made it harder to take them on holiday etc especially when we had 2 at a time.
Never had any issue of same set aggression with them but have heard its a thing, I always had a boy and a girl together never 2 of the same sex.
Life expectancy is a bit of a negative as with any large breed, my first had a heart attack at 5 (think there was an undiagnosed heart problem that was affected by the thyroxine she was put on), 2nd we lost at just over 9 to a spinal stenosis, he was not physically a good specimen and was removed from his owners by the rspca so didn't have the best of starts, he also looked like he may of had some gsd in him which may or may not have been a reason for back issues. Last girl was just over 13 when pts and really fit and healthy until a few months before the end.

[158444]

Visit site
My experience of the Facebook groups has been that they want to portray them as really difficult dogs so that they seem like wonderful owners for dealing with them, I'm sure there are some out there who are better but it seemed a bit cult like lol.
Pros of living with then was that they were quiet, didn't get obsessed with routines so if I needed to skip a morning walk for any reason they didn't get agitated by it and would happily wait till later, aren't needy at all so you can get on with other things if you work from home without getting pestered.
Cons, maybe just their size as it was intimidating to some people and made it harder to take them on holiday etc especially when we had 2 at a time.
Never had any issue of same set aggression with them but have heard its a thing, I always had a boy and a girl together never 2 of the same sex.
Life expectancy is a bit of a negative as with any large breed, my first had a heart attack at 5 (think there was an undiagnosed heart problem that was affected by the thyroxine she was put on), 2nd we lost at just over 9 to a spinal stenosis, he was not physically a good specimen and was removed from his owners by the rspca so didn't have the best of starts, he also looked like he may of had some gsd in him which may or may not have been a reason for back issues. Last girl was just over 13 when pts and really fit and healthy until a few months before the end.

From your description they sound perfect , I have just watched this video don't know how good it is but they were quiet here too

I am seriously interested in them so will be adding to my list and I have joined a Facebook group so I'll keep an open mind with replies

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Even a show springer way smaller than OP is after. As I base weights on a Labrador and large male lab would be of the starter size range. (Knowing OP doesn’t want labs, it’s just a breed I know the weight of).

Bear is 25kg, oversized springer, very tall! Looking at American lines, he appears to be on the small size!

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Gorgeous dogs , I definitely prefer the look of showlines springers, I wish I could get over the way I feel about labs as I know they'd tick everything on my list

Definitely interested in a showline springer though

TBH if a Lab would tick all your boxes but you would rather have something else, I would have thought that a Golden would have been perfect for your purposes. We currently have 2 x working bred Labs, very lightly built and athletic, just as trainable as show-bred Labs but we have had show-bred ones in the past, they tend to be quieter and more like Goldens. If I were you I would seek out some Golden breeders at Crufts and book a puppy.

[158444]

Visit site
TBH if a Lab would tick all your boxes but you would rather have something else, I would have thought that a Golden would have been perfect for your purposes. We currently have 2 x working bred Labs, very lightly built and athletic, just as trainable as show-bred Labs but we have had show-bred ones in the past, they tend to be quieter and more like Goldens. If I were you I would seek out some Golden breeders at Crufts and book a puppy.

I just don't want another golden I'd like to have 2 breeds , it's just how I feel

Edit to say , yes I'd love to have another golden but the reason I don't is hard to admit as I know I'm gonna sound stupid which I'm not but to explain I follow 2 Goldens on YouTube ones called Tucker and the other is sterling. Tucker has recently in the last year had his son Todd join the family and sterling has around the same time had a Golden brother Colin join the family now since both these pups have become older I cannot tell the difference between tucker and Todd or sterling and Colin as they look identical to me I know I'm stupid but it is what it is and I am not a fan of cream goldens never have even though I love the Golden as a breed I just prefer Golden colored Golden's so I'd rather have a different breed

Last edited:

[158444]

Visit site
@fankino04 had a few replys so far all say they don't bark a lot , one even said malamutes bark less than the average golden but they howl but not for long and they are overall good with other dogs as long as you socialize them well.

Training wise I've been told their not difficult as such just not as biddable as a Golden so have to ask a few more times with a malamute before they do it and I've been told they have a high prey drive which I'm fine with

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I just don't want another golden I'd like to have 2 breeds , it's just how I feel

Edit to say , yes I'd love to have another golden but the reason I don't is hard to admit as I know I'm gonna sound stupid which I'm not but to explain I follow 2 Goldens on YouTube ones called Tucker and the other is sterling. Tucker has recently in the last year had his son Todd join the family and sterling has around the same time had a Golden brother Colin join the family now since both these pups have become older I cannot tell the difference between tucker and Todd or sterling and Colin as they look identical to me I know I'm stupid but it is what it is and I am not a fan of cream goldens never have even though I love the Golden as a breed I just prefer Golden colored Golden's so I'd rather have a different breed

I'm sure their owners can tell the difference! I've had people ask me how to tell the difference between pairs of dogs but in reality it has never been a problem! If all else fails get them different coloured collars! We had 2 Rotts, they were more similar than any other dogs we have ever had, even the black Labs but when you know them well you can easily tell the difference. I certainly wouldn't let that put me off having a breed that I like!

fankino04

Visit site
@fankino04 had a few replys so far all say they don't bark a lot , one even said malamutes bark less than the average golden but they howl but not for long and they are overall good with other dogs as long as you socialize them well.

Training wise I've been told their not difficult as such just not as biddable as a Golden so have to ask a few more times with a malamute before they do it and I've been told they have a high prey drive which I'm fine with
Hope this link works but this was noodle telling me it's tea time ( that's the only time she made noise), my partner has just reminded me that they do like to talk to sirens though. In terms of prey drive, Tehya bogged off once in 5 years, ashkii set off after a dear once but came back at the 4th attempt of calling him off and noodle thought she had servants to bring her food and running after it was far too much bother.
https://fb.watch/breawY4n66/
Edited to say sorry wrong link will try to find the right one.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I love springers their the ones I look forward to meeting such happy souls but nuts or at least the ones I meet are nuts no off switch and forever bouncing around and they are too much for Theo has he get fed up of them after awhile but they are all working lines the ones we meet I have never met a show line one ever they don't seem to be as popular as the workers or at least round here

Are showlines really much calmer than workers and would suit my requirements above?

They often get refered to as living with tigger but again it's the owners of workers who say this

Mine, at 5 months, already have an off switch. They know to go on their bed, when it’s down time in the afternoon nap period, evenings they know to be calm. My nearly 12 year old is very chill, he’s a big oversized springer, but not show type. Because we had to keep his brother focused on walks, he’s very keen to retrieve dummies/balls. He’s on my knee currently, default position. Rarely barks because we massively discouraged it, plus he’s a gun dog type, so probably not inclined anyway.

From a quick Google search springers can be at least 51cm and 27kg so not to far off and if I found the right breed size is something I'm willing to compromise on , I mainly said large for Theo's benefit as I wasn't sure if Theo who is 60cm and 34kg would be ok with a smaller dog as I would want him to hurt a smaller dog like a springer but showlines springers appear bigger so may work

I wouldn’t worry too much about a size difference, I meet a Frenchie puppy and her big sister Dogue de Bordeaux on walks, the mastiff rolls the Frenchie over, no harm. Obviously you’d need to keep a puppy safe but springers are tough! Goose, 11kg, happily tries to play with Bear. (Bear is not interested)

The malamute x gsd at the yard ‘talks’ and howls if she wants something.

Auslander

Visit site
I know you said setters would be too energetic for you, but I have to disagree. I've had a working bred setter for the last 8 years, and he's the easiest dog I've ever lived with. He is lively and playful out walking, but once he's back home, he spends most of his time fast asleep on his back with his legs in the air! He only barks when I wind him up, although there is the setter yowl to contend with - it's how he expresses joy. 246827575_10161020311510730_6305514710341035386_n.jpg

[158444]

Visit site
Hope this link works but this was noodle telling me it's tea time ( that's the only time she made noise), my partner has just reminded me that they do like to talk to sirens though. In terms of prey drive, Tehya bogged off once in 5 years, ashkii set off after a dear once but came back at the 4th attempt of calling him off and noodle thought she had servants to bring her food and running after it was far too much bother.
https://fb.watch/breawY4n66/
Edited to say sorry wrong link will try to find the right one.

Ok that made me smile , how long does this last?

More replys saying their quiet so far very good and the more I learn the more I'm falling for them

fankino04

Visit site
Ok that made me smile , how long does this last?

More replys saying their quiet so far very good and the more I learn the more I'm falling for them
Noodle was the only one that shouted for her dinner, if ignored or laughed at she would go on for about 10 mins, if fed or put in "time out" she'd stop. She never talked if she couldn't see you. Tehya had to be taught to speak bless her and she would do the quietest little wookie noises.

cbmcts

Visit site
So rotties:) They are the size you'd like but with that comes strength both physical and mental. They are dogs that appreciate fairness, strong boundaries and they can hold a grudge so your training, especially when young, has to be absolutely consistent as they will take the pee given half a chance . A sense of humour is required! They're not generally noisy but some do talk - lots of woowooing - but will bark at the door or noises outside if they are let. Playing however, often sounds like murders are occurring and will be as rough as the other dog allows but most will happily adapt to the other dog especially if they threaten to stop the game. Like most big dogs, they are prone to joint issues so careful exercise when they are young is really important. A pup would not be able to safely do the walks you do now until 18-24 months probably. Yes, cancers are rife within the breed sadly but that is the case with so many of the larger breeds. There are different lines of rottweiler, IME the English lines are smaller, lighter boned and are lazier, easier 'pet' temperament but have slightly worse health. The German lines are the big headed, heavier dogs, more prone to joint issues and more likely to need a 'job' to be settled happy dogs. The eastern European lines are light, very athletic and intense and remind me of Malinois in the type of home that they need - a lot of the very difficult to rehome dogs in rescue are EE and I would never recommend these for a first or even second time owner! Beautiful, healthy dogs but wired...

Pro's of the breed - bright, affectionate, very trainable, beautiful clowns who will do as much or as little as you want. Once past the adolescent stage (especially the males, they are obnoxious teenagers :) ) they are not especially noisy or destructive. Not normally neurotic, fine with most people if well socialised but do remember that it is a breed trait to be stand offish with strangers.

Cons - being intelligent, it is easy to ruin them with poor handling and over harsh training. They will retaliate if they feel they are treated unfairly and will remember that all their life. They are prone to guarding, both resource and their people/property so that has to be managed by making sure that the handler is confident enough to deal with any reactions in a calm manner. Good insurance is a must and it's not cheap - by the time the dog is five, you're looking at over £100 a month for lifetime insurance with a reputable company. Owners shouldn't be bullies but they also can't be nervous, unconfident types either or the dogs will either be over protective or walk all over them - that doesn't make for a happy dog! Some vets/kennels/training classes won't deal with them and if you want to travel with them, you might find it harder to accommodate them. Same sex aggression isn't unheard of but I do know quite a few people who have same sex entires successfully.

In saying all that, they are fabulous dogs. Over the past 30 years I've had 11, mainly rescues, usually with other smaller breeds. I've also fostered dozens who have come in with my dogs and cats with minimal issues. I know you said you want a pup but please at least have a think about an older rescue of the opposite sex. Getting a well bred pup of the type that would suit is not easy and it's hard to tell at 8 weeks what they will be like. I could be wrong but I think your current dog is quite young? 12-18 month age gaps are challenging as both dogs are at such different stages along with are there going to be issues when the younger one matures? There are often 3 - 4 year old bitches in rescue (ex breeders at the moment :() who could slot in with yours easily and you'll have rescue back up if needed. They tend to be the easy rehomes - they move into their new house, find the best sofa, tell you the rules - and go oh ok when you say I don't think so :) - and settle easily.

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to try and answer them.

Laura2408

Visit site
My leonberger is not snobby and both of his parents and aunt are in double figures.
The breed should never be aggressive or reactive and if it was it would be a serious temperament fault. The standard calls for them to be distinguished by their friendlines.
They should be happy and playful with little to no prey drive. They are the most active of the giants and will walk for hours (albeit plodding but still) yet equally are happy to chill out.
Mine never barks nor do they drool.

They aren’t for everyone granted and there are negatives but lots of people tend to talk rubbish about the breed without actually knowing one. The amount of untrue comments people say when walking past and think you can’t hear is unbelievable. They are very calm and easy going dogs and certainly not snobs ?

[158444]

Visit site
Thank you all for your recommendations

I took my mom for her weekly food shop this morning and while she was putting her shopping away I got to play with her 6 flat coats and Theo was their too and I mentioned to her it's a shame the cancer is so high as I wouldn't even need recommendations I'd go for a flat coat and she told me that if I love flat coats get one she said a flat coat and golden combo would be great she said not to worry about the cancer as she said she's got 6 currently and the eldest is 13yrs old going strong she also has a 8yr old, 6yr old, two 3yr olds and a 9 month old all boys and all not fixed she then told me that before these 6 she's had in total 18 other flat coats and only 4 died before 10yrs so it is possible to find one who will live past 10yrs.

I then said but yours bark a lot though and she said yes but that's because theirs 6 of them and it's easier to keep one flat coat quiet than it is 6 and as a breed flat coats are no more vocal than a Golden retriever.

She also said it's a myth their hyper their not they just need a lot of exercise but what Theo gets will be enough for a flat coat and she said while their not as biddable as a Golden they do still listen their just big clowns most of the time.

So I wanted to ask is their any flat coat owners here if so do you agree with what mom said and I'd love to hear from others on the pros and cons of living with a flat coat