Little Foal - Big Injury

Tia

Visit site
Well yesterday was a little "exciting" here - you know, the type of "excitement" that you really could do without!

My daughter's little 5 month old foal had rolled and become bizarrely caught in part of a hay feeder. Freak accident.

My vet is 3,500 miles away in Europe so no help to me. Wound couldn't realistically have been stitched at the time therefore we are having to deal with an open wound. Thankfully vet's wife was at home so I whizzed over to their farm and picked up an anti-tetanus shot and some penicillin for the little guy.

His wound is being packed with Furacin, he's on penicillin shots, broad-spectrum anti-B's and bute. He was pretty chipper this morning and we are hopeful that he will pull through this. He's penned in for a few days in a large shelter so he can still move around but in a calm and quiet way.

My 11 year old daughter is pretty worried about him, as this is the foal that she worked really hard to save up for, and bought with her own money. I tend to remain on a positive even keel unless I start to see things that I am not happy with.

Anyway, here is this mornings photos (pre-cleaning); looks slightly better than it did yesterday. The yellow gooey stuff is the Furacin.

October28Cruise001.jpg

October28Cruise002.jpg

Cahill

Visit site
i really hope it mends ok for you and your daughter.it must have been a terrible shock to find a wound like that.

EMWSanctuaries

www.equinemarketwatch.org.uk
shocked.gif
Jes*s that's one heck of a wound there. Thankfully foals heal very fast, we had a 12 month old feral pony slice open her chest to the bone, couldn't get a hand on her, she had to cope with oral AB's and no Tet cover, she healed with no scar!...Only advice is to feed the immune system well, plenty of probiotic... no other advice really, lets hope it heals well.
emw.

aimeerose

Visit site
Poor baby,

I cant honestly see the vet doing anything differently from what you have done - looks nasty and swollen but hopefully as the swelling subsides it will be able to close over more, and the Anti-B should keep it clear of infection.
May be get x-rays once the swelling has gone down?

Hugs to your daughter - she is lucky to have a mum who can deal so calmly and efficiantly with something like this, particually in the event of a vet on another continent (sp)!.

Tia

Visit site
Yes that's always been my experience too, so hopefully this little guy will heal as well as other wounds I've had to deal with
crazy.gif

Yep a bit of a shock but what can you do eh. Injuries are pretty infrequent here thankfully, but we've had a couple of freak accidents with youngsters over the years. Bubble-wrapping them might not be such a bad idea.....

Tia

Visit site
Yes I emailed a photo of the injury to my vet yesterday and he called last night to say that this is the way he would have dealt with it too. He's back on Friday so if foaly goes downhill then at least vet will be able to come and re-assess.

Tia

Visit site
I know it does look painful, but he really doesn't mind at all with me fiddling around and cleaning it out. He has a nice purple bandage on today and he has been perfectly behaved with re-dressing the wound. He's a little star in my eyes.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
was NOT expecting that

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither was I when I went out to groom him yesterday....
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
Digital extensor I imagine....or some other inner-working.

She is worried; although she tends to remain calm as I always do - I guess I rub off on her.

Tia

Visit site
Well I went over to make sure he was okay. Brush in hand, looked over one side, nothing; looked over the other, big nasty wound. He was totally unfazed by it, was completely sound as I led him out of the field to attend to it. He was more interested in munching on the nice grass. I think, if he survives, he might just be one of those thoroughly special horses.

Tia

Visit site
Well, for once, here's a wound which doesn't look quite so bad in real life. You would - if you had to you would manage it just fine.
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Goodness, that is nasty, amazing he was still sound!!! I think he has been very lucky as seems to have just missed the tendon. Fingers firmly crossed that the anti-Bs and Bute do their job and get that swelling down and stop any infection. ***Big hugs to your daughter***

L

lilym

poor little mite
frown.gif
on the bright side i have seen much worse injuries heal very well in youngsters, and also my old TB cut himself in a similar place exposed that tendon as well and healed very well indeed. positive vibes being sent.

Halfstep

Visit site
That looks awful. Poor foal. Sounds like he is getting the best care possible and he has every chance of a good recovery. Fingers crossed for you. What a horrible thing to find.