Livery and winter morning

Honeybee

photobucket.com

Hi everyone!!

I have always kept my horse at home but this winter I’m taking her 5mins up the road to my cousin’s livery yard. He has a big paddock e.g. and lots of turn out, my dad is a farmer and gives off about the horse being out when it's wet.

So here is my questions how the hell do you lot get up in the morning before work to fed/turn out and clean out??
What time do you get up?

Any top tips? What if you sleep in e.g. or on holiday?? Sorry lots of questions I’m new to this.
I’m really looking forward to having a great big paddock with lights!

Reashi

Visit site
Its not that bad! I feed my horse twice a day anyway so go up before work, but allow an extra 20mins if mucking out etc. in the winter. So I wake up at about 6.30am, get to yard for 7.30am, leave for work at about 8am to get there for 8.20am. With holidays/sleeping in etc, is there other people at the livery yard you can buddy up with and do favours for each other?

pottamus

Visit site
Well I have to leave for work at 7.30am, which means being back from the horse by 7.00pm to shower and change. I am currently just about still on the summer routine of getting up at 5am, having breakfast and getting out by 5.30am with my tack, walking the 5 mins to the field, taking up and riding before filling his hay hutch, topping water and going back home!
In the winter I will still get up at 5am but will not be able to ride as we only have hacking on the roads here. But I will do my poo picking in the morning instead in the dark by head torch...which will free up my evening time a bit as he lives out 24/7 so only really needs, hay water and the fence moving a bit for more grass. You get used to it!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It's OK once you get into a routine. I'm usually up about 5.15 - 5.30, up at yard about 6.30 in the winter, then off to work by 7.

It's easier if you are organised - I'm amassing a stack of haynets at the moment so I can fill a week's worth on the weekend. If I'm running late I do the minimum in the morning and sort the mess out after work. If I sleep in... I'm late for work! Or if desperate I would call the YO and ask her to feed/turn out. If there are other liveries I'm sure you can work something out with them.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well presumably you have to get up during the winter to do your horse, when she's at home?????

So it's no different - you may just want to get up 20 mins earlier if she's 5 mins up the road......

foxy1110

Visit site
I get to the yard about 7am, whoever is first on the yard feeds round. in the winter i try to muck out etc in the morning to leave more time for riding in the evening. everyone tends to go up later at the weekend, around 9-9.30ish. so when your used to getting up at 6am during the week, an 9am lie in at the weekend seems like loads!

gails

Visit site
Get to the field anywhere between 7 and 9 but in the winter never before 7.

Dont panic, you wont feel as f you have no sleep, god knows I love my bed, but it really does get you started for the day

Harriephebs

Visit site
5am!!! crickey! i didnt know there was two 5 o clocks (unless its coming home at that time hehe)
I work from home half the week and the other half i could be anywhere. Sometimes i do have to get there at 6.30 ish but i literally throw her out. I just give one big feed at night to save time and usually muck out at night. I can rely on people to help if needed or pay YO to turn out if desperate. Harrietta does understand that i do like a lie in at the weekend tho!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Get up and feed and turn out in pj's!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
We have assisted livery that we can use at our yard. For £1 a day, we can have our neds fed, jammies changed and turned out. Fabulous! My excuse is I live a half hour drive away from the yard (worth it because it's a happy yard and that = happy neds) and tbh if I went twice a day that would be 2 hours driving even before you count the cost of fuel in. More cost effective to have ned turned out each morning.

Janette

Visit site
I'm at the stables for 7am, muck out, feed and turnout, set stable up for evening(hay/feed etc) and leave by 7.45 at the latest, at work for 8 o'clockish.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Up at 6.30am, off to yard at 7.30am, arrive 8am. Horse is on aubiose so no mucking out until the weekend, just 3 piles of poo to pick up. This done, water changed, mudfever protection and outdoor rug on if required while she is eating (she eats slowly!) then off on the hours drive to work. Reverse the situation in the evenings - I usually arrive home at 7.30pm at the earliest so it is a very long day.

Riverboy

Visit site
In the winter I'm up at 5am, down yard by about 5.20/5.30 (uber organised in the mornings at home have everything set up ready to go!)

Feed, rugs, turn out, muck out and put hay on to soak for the evening (little un has COPD) and leave for work at about 6.30-6.45 at work for 7-7,15 shower and then start my day!! You do get used to it...

If i over sleep - well i don't have to start work til 9 so I have enough time to over sleep and still not be late - just makes parking difficult

only_me

Visit site
If YO is away I do horses in the morning - because I live 30secs away
tongue.gif

get up at 6.30 and feed horses in pjs and skip out (6 horses) by 7.20, home and shower and Leave house at 8am to be in for 8.30am
smile.gif
that's in for school btw, I had prefect duties in the morning
tongue.gif

if horses are going out usually I would turf horses out in field and feed them in field and then muck out
smile.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
This winter im going to have to pay the YO to turn out when im working an early shift or fetch in when im on a late shift. Theres no other way I can do it as I have to be at work for 7am and im not a morning person. All mucking out will be done when I finish work.

Angua2

Visit site
I go up and feed in a morning on my way to work and then do all the jobs on an evening. If the weather is nice I pay someone to put my girl in the turnout pens for an afternoon

LankyDoodle

Visit site
I work shifts so although I work full time, I have about 20 days a month off. On the days I'm at work, my husband does them on his own in the evening, where we would usually do them together, but in the morning, I am up there for 7ish and leave there 730. They are out 24/7 in summer (when none on box rest that is), and in at night during the winter, and I do my jobs evenings.