Livery musing...

skint1

Visit site
I think the future of DIY yards is iffy at best anyway, partly because of the general pressure on land and party because it would appear that unless it's almost a sideline to your main business (for a farmer say) you can't charge enough to make it profitable and then that makes you resentful of your liveries, not nice for either of you I would think!

I think part livery would be good, if you could choose which end of the day they did for you, I would pay more for that, providing the service was of a good quality. I would find full livery really scary. What if a place looked lovely but actually they were scrimping on bedding and forage, using your feed for other others, or forcing you to use their feed, what if they weren't giving medication as required, or not providing the promised amount of turn out, how would you know?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I would find full livery really scary. What if a place looked lovely but actually they were scrimping on bedding and forage, using your feed for other others, or forcing you to use their feed, what if they weren't giving medication as required, or not providing the promised amount of turn out, how would you know?

You have to find someone you trust - people very quickly get a reputation, whether good or bad. There are a couple of full livery yards I would never keep a horse at, and one I have been to and would never again.
I would know if my horse wasn't get enough turnout as his personality and behaviour will change for the worse. A lot of FL yards, IME, provide basic feed and if you need something different you can buy it yourself. My only issue with FL is being forced to use bedding I don't like or their hay which might be poor quality.
I think they only way you don't know if the aren't feeding your horse enough (say) is if you are inexperienced and don't pick up on the changes in your horse. I use FL because I'm not always around, but I'm around and involved enough to keep an eye on my horse's weight, behaviour etc. I would know if something wasn't right.

Luci07

Visit site
I am on a small DIY yard with friends. I am given assisted DIY, Hay or haylage included and we do have all year turn out though not using it all the time as fields are struggling with this wet and due to my horses eye problem, I will not turn him out on a very windy day. There is sufficient good grazing so we will have our summer fields back later. I am paying £57 a week and its worth it. Its a private yard, its YO's home. It works well as she a: doesn't need us so we are supposed to be adding to the joy b: we are all adults and good friends so are respectful c: YO has no problem in setting rules so everyone knows where they are. We all think she and her family are pretty tolerant actually! Hacking is not brilliant but we do have some, we will be able to ride round her hay fields come summer as well and we have a walker and outdoor school. YO is putting in a small indoor school as well (heaven - haven't had access to one for about 30 years) We know we are lucky. I am in Surrey and looking at what some people pay, perhaps it is more expensive but I appreciate the fact that there is professional back up, no worries about getting in hay and someone who seems to be permanently putting up or repairing stuff.