Livery problems

Bellalily

Visit site
I would move everything with the transporter, the fact that they are there may improve how she reacts. If you explain to them and pay for everything to be moved in one go then that will ease it. I would pay for the hay, but if it is hay it won't spoil. Or if there is little enough left then get loads of nets and take it with you!

Not sure there is going to be enough room tbh, I have a very small car and it's a 3.5t box. Yes, I thought that too. Leaving the hay as it's not up to much.

miss_c

Visit site
.They are now out full time, we have a bale that is going to waste

I may have read this wrong, but aren’t they out 24/7 because she is unable/unwilling to bring them in as requested? I also don’t see how Hay will waste unless it’s stored outside?

I work at a yard and we do have to manage the land carefully to ensure it isn’t overgrazed and rotate herds regularly, but have options for laminitics.

Sounds like it’s time to put it down to experience and get gone ASAP.

Bellalily

Visit site
I may have read this wrong, but aren’t they out 24/7 because she is unable/unwilling to bring them in as requested? I also don’t see how Hay will waste unless it’s stored outside?

I work at a yard and we do have to manage the land carefully to ensure it isn’t overgrazed and rotate herds regularly, but have options for laminitics.

Sounds like it’s time to put it down to experience and get gone ASAP.

Yes, exactly and I have reminded her. Apparently she needs more than three days notice to turn out. :(

alainax

Visit site
Don't get into any more conversation, it will turn it into an argument which you don't want.

A simple " ok, as I am sure you can appreciate from our initial conversations that's not going to work out for me, I really required the turn out/bring in service and limited grazing as discussed. I will make sure we are moved out by Tuesday, and will ensure you are paid for the rest of the month remaining"

Arzada

Visit site
Don't get into any more conversation, it will turn it into an argument which you don't want.

A simple " ok, as I am sure you can appreciate from our initial conversations that's not going to work out for me, I really required the turn out/bring in service and limited grazing as discussed. I will make sure we are moved out by Tuesday, and will ensure you are paid for the rest of the month remaining"
I wouldn't communicate further with this YO. She will know on Monday when the transport rolls in. You've asked. She said no. End of.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Sounds like you’ve made the right decision to move - YO sounds appalling, and even if she did compromise on this occasion (can’t actually see where she did, however) I wouldn’t trust her with a barge pole. Bonkers person.

Good luck with your new yard.

Bellalily

Visit site
I have a mate coming over tomorrow afternoon with a trailer to take most of my stuff away for me, but I am hoping to shift a lot early tomorrow when I am up mucking out. I feel quite sick.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Don't know where to start with that message, OP, but I think it's clear you're making the right decision to get out of there!

Dopeydapple

Visit site
When I was younger I worked on a yard, the very old fashioned type that if the boss treated people today the way she did then would be classed as a bully at best, anyway I had an accident coming off my mare (who was liveried there) and broke my ankle so would be off work for 6 weeks. My mum went up early before work every morning but couldn't do everything and the yard was primarily a full livery yard but when my mum asked if we could change the livery package to include some extras whilst I couldn't ride they were extremely rude stating that they needed another horse to look after like they needed a hole in the head. To say that the atmosphere when I visited was toxic would be an understatement so my mum took all my rugs one day saying that they might as well get cleaned as it was summer and they weren't being used and that as they couldn't fit in exercising or turning her out a local friend would be up to ride her, said friend turned up the next day and rode her off the yard to her new holiday home (local farm with a field she could live out in whilst we looked for more perminant solution) and we never saw or spoke to them again. I think I'm also a wimp when it comes to confrontations.

Bellalily

Visit site
When I was younger I worked on a yard, the very old fashioned type that if the boss treated people today the way she did then would be classed as a bully at best, anyway I had an accident coming off my mare (who was liveried there) and broke my ankle so would be off work for 6 weeks. My mum went up early before work every morning but couldn't do everything and the yard was primarily a full livery yard but when my mum asked if we could change the livery package to include some extras whilst I couldn't ride they were extremely rude stating that they needed another horse to look after like they needed a hole in the head. To say that the atmosphere when I visited was toxic would be an understatement so my mum took all my rugs one day saying that they might as well get cleaned as it was summer and they weren't being used and that as they couldn't fit in exercising or turning her out a local friend would be up to ride her, said friend turned up the next day and rode her off the yard to her new holiday home (local farm with a field she could live out in whilst we looked for more perminant solution) and we never saw or spoke to them again. I think I'm also a wimp when it comes to confrontations.
That sounds like me :(

pippixox

Visit site
It will all be over soon. I really feel for you, I hate tension. Sounds like even without the sudden having to keep them in for stupid reasons that you need to leave, as things she said she provided she is not- who needs 3 days notice to bring in or turn out when they are at the yard every day to run it?!

All the best

Pinkvboots

Visit site
She sounds like a bloody idiot why would anyone need 3 days notice to turn a horse out fgs good luck with your move, if she says anything just say to her 3 days notice for turnout services is a joke she is looking after a few horses it's not rocket science.

blitznbobs

Visit site
DONt sign the contract , take horses away, if she winces say ‘I’ll see you in court. ‘ she probably won’t take legal action but the quicker you leave as it is ‘not as described ‘ the better ...

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I had a very awkward yard move yesterday after YO refused to accommodate lami pony’s grazing requirements. I found new yard on Thursday and moved less than 24 hours later! Ashamed to admit this but I’m a total wimp, moved pony off when I knew YO wouldn’t be around then went back later to clear my stable etc. after OH had finished work, I was too anxious to do it alone after getting *****ty texts off YO. I then text and blocked his number!! 🙈 I must add that I’d never signed a contract and am paid up ‘til the end of the month so I don’t feel guilty in that respect.

Really hope you get moved and settled ASAP, what a nightmare situation.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Get out as quick as possible.
But be prepared to move the horses immediately.
As soon as you tell her I expect she will get funny so you are better off moving straight away.

She has been difficult, not doing the things she promised and doesn’t sound like the sort of person I would want looking after my horses any way.
Suggesting you give them extra hay and then leave them for 24hours! Shocking!

jojo5

Visit site
Everything everyone has said is sensible but .....just a small thought about seeing things from another side....on the new yard that OP is going to, it was mentioned that two new people who were going there were now being asked if they would be happy with grass Livery and a shelter to make room for the OP. So from their point of view they may not now be getting what they originally discussed ( in the same way that the OP has not on her current yard ) although at least they have been asked. I guess my point is that you have to think about everybody’s angle of a situation and keep communication really effective.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I had a very awkward yard move yesterday after YO refused to accommodate lami pony’s grazing requirements. I found new yard on Thursday and moved less than 24 hours later! Ashamed to admit this but I’m a total wimp, moved pony off when I knew YO wouldn’t be around then went back later to clear my stable etc. after OH had finished work, I was too anxious to do it alone after getting *****ty texts off YO. I then text and blocked his number!! 🙈 I must add that I’d never signed a contract and am paid up ‘til the end of the month so I don’t feel guilty in that respect.

Really hope you get moved and settled ASAP, what a nightmare situation.

How horrid for you. What is it with livery yards and toxic YO’s? Why does it matter if someone would prefer to move on - assuming the livery moving is all above board? If the yard is good, surely they’d fill the space again quick enough?

I had a horrid experience several years ago, and it ruined my outlook on the whole horsey community. Maybe an overreaction, but the experience was that bad.

I’m also in the SW, OP. Probably the same yard ...... (joking, I hope!)

buzyizzy

Visit site
Thank you for all the kind offers. I snuck up there at 5.30 this morning and mucked out etc and filled the car up with the expensive stuff!! That is now home and safe. I shall empty a few more boxes tonight so hopefully she won't notice the stuff is gone if the boxes are still there. I'm no good at all this subterfuge although I was mighty relieved to drive away from the yard this morning with my car full. I have never had this sort of experience before, maybe it's peculiar to the SW!!
Jojo5, I take your point, I was concerned that the girls would think I was pushing them out of their stables, but YO says not, they'd prefer to have them out full time. At least I know that the grazing is definitely AYR and she's not going to change her mind with grass liveries out there.
MTF, now that would be a small world!

JillA

Visit site
Not really a help but what is it with these yard owners/managers? I have fallen foul of being too accommodating in the past, they seem to be totally unaware of the rules of business and competition (i.e. the customer is (nearly lol) always right) and they are providing a service which is governed by a verbal contract even if there is nothing in writing. I just couldn't hack being on such a yard

Abi90

Visit site
Not really a help but what is it with these yard owners/managers? I have fallen foul of being too accommodating in the past, they seem to be totally unaware of the rules of business and competition (i.e. the customer is (nearly lol) always right) and they are providing a service which is governed by a verbal contract even if there is nothing in writing. I just couldn't hack being on such a yard

I don’t understand either. And no yard is perfect so if your requirements aren’t met and you move what is the big deal? No one gets this emotional about changing supermarket or even giving notice to a landlord.

Also, I’m confused the OP was Belalilly but now Buzzyizzy is talking as if she is the OP? Did something change halfway through that I have missed?

Mosh

Visit site
Haha yep. Some people have 3/4/5 and have been known to have conversations with themselves.
I'm the same as you though and barely remember what day it is lol