Livery rent AND a security/deposit ... is this normal ?

sjdress

Visit site
Moving to a DIY yard. I have just received the contract and the yard owner wants a full month rent (totally normal) but also another months rent which she will hold and return if you leave, if no breaches of the contract. Is this normal for DIY?

chocolategirl

Visit site
Moving to a DIY yard. I have just received the contract and the yard owner wants a full month rent (totally normal) but also another months rent which she will hold and return if you leave, if no breaches of the contract. Is this normal for DIY?
It should be the norm, however, a lot of yards, including mine, don’t use this system. I work on trust and getting the right clients in the first place, when hopefully I won’t need this backup policy.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Yes had it more often than not. It's the same as when you rent a flat.
The deposit was waived in one place where i was coming as a friend of an existing livery and another I paid a deposit but monthly livery was collected in arrears not in advance.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve not had it for DIY but I did have it once for part-livery which was a whopping £1000 plus up front. Always been charged in advance for any type of livery with added ad-hoc extras charged in arrears.

I got my full deposit back but my friend had all of hers taken as her horse injured the YO although it was entirely the yard owners fault (forcibly picking mud fever scabs off his legs). This was not what the deposit was for but for various reasons she was glad to get out of there as I was a few months later.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Make sure that all your payments to the yard owner are well recorded & you have a copy because when you leave you want to ensure that your deposit is returned. Also ensure what money will be retained for. I have heard of cases when the YO retains money for alleged damage or rotting of posts whixch they are really responsible for.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
At my last yard i always paid a month in advance and they had a deposit which was a substantial amount (think 3 on full livery) when i left over C19 issues they would not let us full livery on the yard at all but the DIY'ers will still riding and bathing horses and even having group rides ! i left the month in advance as it was my choice to leave so soon, but am still waiting on my deposit to be returned, they are hoping that i will go back. The yard has pretty much lost all there full liveries due to this behaviour over C-19 and have said they cannot pay me back as the DIY's were not paying on time and asked if they could pay me in instalments, the first one was due 1.8.20 but so far..... nothing showing in my account.

My new (old) yard - i only moved for the distance i was travelling also takes a deposit and i have no problems.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I wonder if it’s a regional thing? I’ve never paid a deposit and always paid livery in arrears.
I used to pay livery in advance but feed and bedding in arrears, some yards were monthly and others weekly.
I remember paying a deposit in the North East back as long ago as 2000, both in West and East Mids I have paid deposits at all the yards i have been on since 2005.

Beachbabe

Visit site
I've had it once and when you've also got to provide two lots of livery up front, that's one hell of a lot of money to find in one go! I've always asked about it when going to view a new yard and if that's the case, then I'm outta there. Too much money.

Kahlua

Visit site
I have been looking at a few places for livery, only one has requested a bond, which was 6 weeks up front plus the monthly livery, making it a grand total of £2650 - I will be paying through the eyeballs for livery, so the addition of the bond would be a little ouchy. I totally understand a bond but for a full care facility I was surprised, but I suppose it’s to cover any damage which is fair enough!

Beachbabe

Visit site
The whole livery yard system needs an overhaul. Too many of us are getting ripped off and there are also too many disreputable owners out there.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I have been looking at a few places for livery, only one has requested a bond, which was 6 weeks up front plus the monthly livery, making it a grand total of £2650 - I will be paying through the eyeballs for livery, so the addition of the bond would be a little ouchy. I totally understand a bond but for a full care facility I was surprised, but I suppose it’s to cover any damage which is fair enough!
I actually do think it's for damage, more like owners doing a runner with no notice.

saddlesore

Visit site
I used to pay livery in advance but feed and bedding in arrears, some yards were monthly and others weekly.
I remember paying a deposit in the North East back as long ago as 2000, both in West and East Mids I have paid deposits at all the yards i have been on since 2005.

Ah I haven’t moved yards since 2007 so maybe that’s why.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Ah I haven’t moved yards since 2007 so maybe that’s why.

I mainly move due to re-locations to different parts of the UK, so i see the world and his wife so to speak, best yards i have found were up in the North East, so many really good yards with all day every day turn out, amazing hacking, i would go back up their in a shot.

saddlesore

Visit site
I mainly move due to re-locations to different parts of the UK, so i see the world and his wife so to speak, best yards i have found were up in the North East, so many really good yards with all day every day turn out, amazing hacking, i would go back up their in a shot.

I’m west coast of Scotland and very lucky that I have turnout 24/7/365 if I want it (I also have a stable) and loads of hacking. Hence staying put!