Livery yards being closed, banned from seeing our horses

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
You do not have a contract with your yard owner for full livery. They would have to take you to court to make you pay I think. With no contract I think they would not have a leg to stand on because it is them who decided to go to full livery. Not an easy position to be in it is no wonder you are upset about it.

In your situation I would start a deep litter bed so all you have to do in the evenings is a quick skip out and add fresh bedding freeing up more time for the other things you need to do there. You sound really stressed out so I think you should do this for your health even if it is not the best for the horse.

Ahh thanks but i will continue to muck out. I can't deep litter mine as this has never worked and there is no way i would have her skipped out both ends of the day.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm very lucky to have mine at walking distance from my house so can, if needed, combine walking a couple of the dogs down to check the horses. It's private property and no-one else needs to handle or go near mine (they live out) so quite safe from that perspective. However, I do only have the cob and Shitland there, my younger horse is away being backed etc and I've not seen him in 3 weeks and won't for the foreseeable future :( He's only half an hour away by car but rules are rules. I had hoped to visit him weekly so it sucks a bit, I have absolute confidence in his trainer though so I know he's being well cared for. I live alone too but I've got dogs, parrots, rabbit etc to keep me occupied.
I think my mental health is going to take a bashing as my counsellor sessions have stopped for now and April 12th is the anniversary of my little girl's death ???
Times are hard for us all, I really hope everyone stays safe...I'm open for a chat if anyone just needs to vent xxx

Winters100

Visit site
I'm very lucky to have mine at walking distance from my house so can, if needed, combine walking a couple of the dogs down to check the horses. It's private property and no-one else needs to handle or go near mine (they live out) so quite safe from that perspective. However, I do only have the cob and Shitland there, my younger horse is away being backed etc and I've not seen him in 3 weeks and won't for the foreseeable future :( He's only half an hour away by car but rules are rules. I had hoped to visit him weekly so it sucks a bit, I have absolute confidence in his trainer though so I know he's being well cared for. I live alone too but I've got dogs, parrots, rabbit etc to keep me occupied.
I think my mental health is going to take a bashing as my counsellor sessions have stopped for now and April 12th is the anniversary of my little girl's death ???
Times are hard for us all, I really hope everyone stays safe...I'm open for a chat if anyone just needs to vent xxx

I'm sorry that you are not receiving your counsellor sessions at such a difficult time, it must be really the worst time for you to be alone. If you ever want to chat just pm, and really do your best to set yourself some tasks around the home because not being busy will take a toll if you let it. Do take care, keep in touch with your friends, and try to fill your day with tasks and little treats for achieving them. Chin up!

stormox

Visit site
Its even harder when I see the elderly out and about. I am being separated from my horse to help protect those who are vulnerable and some of those don’t seem to give a damn
So you think the elderly shouldnt be out and about doing shopping and other necessary jobs but you should be allowed out pony cuddling? What an attitude!!

Winters100

Visit site
So early this morning I had a call from YO thanking me for staying away and asking what I thought about totally shutting down the yard to liveries. Apparently yesterday many completely disregarded his request to make only essential visits, no extra people, keep visits short. It was a glorious day and he told me that there were many there, some even with their families, and several who hardly ever come in winter. He had a big argument with one lady who wanted to ride her horse for the first time since October - obviously he told her that it was very wrong and she left in a huff. Another lady brought someone to massage her horse - for the first time - and was upset when they were asked to leave.

The sad thing is that if he does totally shut down it affects many people who have a much greater need to go (horses in recovery from illness or injuries), and who are there rain or shine giving care to their horses, not just on a sunny day when they want to play with them.

I said that my view on this would be to announce that if this happens again he will close totally and hope that peer pressure will do the job. He is considering this, but if not the gate will be locked. He is a reasonable man, so I think (hope) if this happens he will allow those who have a great need to be there to come without anyone else knowing, there is only 2 of them, and one has a horse recovering from a horrific injury which we all thought would be the end for the horse. But this is the reality of what happens if people like me who are lucky enough to have 2 uncomplicated horses without major health issues refuse to stay home. Of course my horses are getting about 1/10 of the care they usually get, but they have basic care to be comfortable and to survive, not how I would wish to keep them, but for now I have to be satisfied.

A really sad thing that people cannot use common sense and think of others at such a time.

ecb89

Visit site
So you think the elderly shouldnt be out and about doing shopping and other necessary jobs but you should be allowed out pony cuddling? What an attitude!!

no that is not what I meant. I know of several vulnerable elderly people who are refusing to stay inside, even though they have been told to for 12 weeks. They have the attitude that they have had a long life, they will pass away eventually and no one can tell them what to do.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Winters100 I ended up doing times for people to come up. There aren’t loads of us, so they have 2.5 hours - so can do jobs and ride if they want. I said if rules weren’t followed the yard would be closed and they could either have full livery with no visits or grass livery in the furthest field from the house and no yard access. Since then everyone has followed rules perfectly.

Winters100

Visit site
Winters100 I ended up doing times for people to come up. There aren’t loads of us, so they have 2.5 hours - so can do jobs and ride if they want. I said if rules weren’t followed the yard would be closed and they could either have full livery with no visits or grass livery in the furthest field from the house and no yard access. Since then everyone has followed rules perfectly.

Sounds sensible - well done on coming up with a workable solution. Out of interest do your full liveries do the right thing and stay away? I would hope so as travelling to visit a horse on full livery seems wrong. I hope that this will continue to work for you:)

SWE

Visit site
Very late to the thread and haven't managed to read all of the replies but what are peoples opinions on the below:

Horse on assisted DIY livery (yard cares for her 1 end of the day) along with 4 others on the yard, rest are on full livery. Yard has been put on full lock down and no one allowed up.

What are your thoughts on this in my situation as an assisted DIY and also with regards to charges? I'm not really sure how to feel as know it's being done for the right reasons but also worrying about money being self employed and also really missing my girl.

be positive

Visit site
Very late to the thread and haven't managed to read all of the replies but what are peoples opinions on the below:

Horse on assisted DIY livery (yard cares for her 1 end of the day) along with 4 others on the yard, rest are on full livery. Yard has been put on full lock down and no one allowed up.

What are your thoughts on this in my situation as an assisted DIY and also with regards to charges? I'm not really sure how to feel as know it's being done for the right reasons but also worrying about money being self employed and also really missing my girl.

As a YO I would turn the DIY's out 24/7 if possible to keep livery rates down or do a reduced rate for them until they can go out 24/7, the full liveries are used to the cost but it could be too much for a DIY to find, as long as the extra out of pocket costs are covered I would not want to add to peoples concerns at the moment , my part liveries are now out and owners are coming only to exercise, not daily, do the extra care they want to do, I do everything essential.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
As a YO I would turn the DIY's out 24/7 if possible to keep livery rates down or do a reduced rate for them until they can go out 24/7, the full liveries are used to the cost but it could be too much for a DIY to find, as long as the extra out of pocket costs are covered I would not want to add to peoples concerns at the moment , my part liveries are now out and owners are coming only to exercise, not daily, do the extra care they want to do, I do everything essential.

My yard has turned out 24/7 & those that want to tend to their ponies are on 30 min slots. I am staying away. Dave is healthy, has people to check on him & is having a nice holiday, while I reduce the footfall on the yard in respect t the staff, family & others.
God, I really miss my pony, but I'll see him soon.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Sorry but why should full livery folk be penalised for paying more ? why is it that someone that cannot afford full livery have more right to see their horse/pony than those that pay for full livery as they work long hours or are out and around the country. I am classed as a key worker, so I am going out to work, but as i work long hours my horses are on full livery. So the opinion appears to be that I can risk my life to contact CV because i work in the transport industry, but must stay away from my horses because i ensure they have daily care. ie. full livery. When someone whom is not exposing themselves to this through work can carry on, as they pay less and still get to see their horses?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Sorry but why should full livery folk be penalised for paying more ? why is it that someone that cannot afford full livery have more right to see their horse/pony than those that pay for full livery as they work long hours or are out and around the country. I am classed as a key worker, so I am going out to work, but as i work long hours my horses are on full livery. So the opinion appears to be that I can risk my life to contact CV because i work in the transport industry, but must stay away from my horses because i ensure they have daily care. ie. full livery. When someone whom is not exposing themselves to this through work can carry on, as they pay less and still get to see their horses?

You’re not being penalised for paying more as such. Because your horse is looked after by someone else it’s not considered essential to have to go and see it. Plenty of people are key workers and do DIY, there are several on my yard. I’m still working albeit from home. I do understand though that it must be really awful not to see your horse I’d hate it and also I’d be worried about care if it were some of the YOs I’ve had before. I personally think that YOs should provide a safe opportunity at least once a week for owners to check their horses and I would personally regard that as essential (others would disagree). The government haven’t explicitly said that you can’t but people are following non-statutory BHS guidance and the like.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It is very simple. The only reason anybody should be going to a shared yard is if they are solely responsible for the basic daily care of their horse.

So should I change my livery status to DIY, so the livery yard looses out financially, I will save loads of money, whilst I get more exercise and could then justify going to the yard twice a day for hours on end?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
You’re not being penalised for paying more as such. Because your horse is looked after by someone else it’s not considered essential to have to go and see it. Plenty of people are key workers and do DIY, there are several on my yard. I’m still working albeit from home. I do understand though that it must be really awful not to see your horse I’d hate it and also I’d be worried about care if it were some of the YOs I’ve had before. I personally think that YOs should provide a safe opportunity at least once a week for owners to check their horses and I would personally regard that as essential (others would disagree). The government haven’t explicitly said that you can’t but people are following non-statutory BHS guidance and the like.

I have my horses on full livery to ensure they are cared for whilst I am at work and so I can ride and enjoy them when I do get the chance rather than muck out, but I must admit this argument that if you are DIY you have more right to see your horse than those on Full Livery is really starting to grate on me, so if you are on a mixed livery yard, some can come up twice a day for hours on end, riding, lunging etc which is those whom pay the least, but those that pay the most are going to be banned for weeks ? Sorry that does not sit well either way, would it for you ?

Upthecreek

Visit site
So should I change my livery status to DIY, so the livery yard looses out financially, I will save loads of money, whilst I get more exercise and could then justify going to the yard twice a day for hours on end?

If you are already responsible for the daily care you have no choice but to go to the yard, although you could argue that DIY and part liveries should be made to go on full livery if the yard has sufficient staff to care for the horses adequately. Our country is currently officially in a state of emergency so I think in the current circumstances it would be unwise to put yourself and others at risk by going to the yard unless it is essential. Our yard has turned all horses out apart from a couple on box rest and nobody is allowed to go there except staff. There are no exceptions and this will be the case until restrictions are lifted.

Winters100

Visit site

I would have thought that in your position you would want to stay away from the yard. I am in a similar position to you of being at much higher risk of infection than most, and this is exactly why I stopped going before any restrictions were introduced. I could still go now if I wanted, but it is not the right thing to do. If you unwittingly take this virus to your yard then you really will see problems with care for your horses. It is exactly people like us, who could easily be infected now and not know it, who MUST stay away and limit ALL contact with others to an absolute minimum. I realise that this may seem 'unfair', but right now we are in a crisis and 'fair' doesn't mean anything.

Shay

Visit site
Its not about who has a "right" to something or not. Gingerwitch I really sympathise with your concerns and I don't want to be patronising - but perhaps thinking about it a bit differently would help? This is about who absolutely has to be outside the house. Not about who has a right to do this that or the other. Of course all horse owners have the same right to see thier animals. But is is about who absolutely has to be at the yard otherwise the welfare of an animal will suffer - and who does not.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I would have thought that in your position you would want to stay away from the yard. I am in a similar position to you of being at much higher risk of infection than most, and this is exactly why I stopped going before any restrictions were introduced. I could still go now if I wanted, but it is not the right thing to do. If you unwittingly take this virus to your yard then you really will see problems with care for your horses. It is exactly people like us, who could easily be infected now and not know it, who MUST stay away and limit ALL contact with others to an absolute minimum. I realise that this may seem 'unfair', but right now we are in a crisis and 'fair' doesn't mean anything.

All i am making the point of is, where is the fairness ? folk are being sent home on 80% pay or full pay, I am working longer and more stressful hours for nothing extra, being exposed to lord knows what in order to keep food on shelves, but the upside is, that whilst DIY folk can go to the yard and spend hours with their horses doing all sorts, as i am on full livery I am being treated as a social leper for wanting to visit my horse for some well needed fresh air and relaxation. When my alarm goes off at 03.30 tomorrow morning and I do not get back till after 7pm will anyone pat me on the back or even thank me - no because I am one of the unseen keeping food on shelve but as I have tried to ensure the best welfare for my animals I am banned from the yard.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
If you are frontline & at a higher risk of infection, then surely you should be doing your best not to take the virus to your yard?[/QUO

So is everyone else, we do not turn pink or green when we are infected, so the same rule should be across the board, if you cannot afford full livery for 3 weeks then how would you afford a vet bill, or if you were ill and could not get to the yard what would happen then and does this also not encourage those on DIY to carry on regardless of what symptoms they may have?